LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Allen Rossum Released [Update 11/01]

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 49forLyfe
  • Info N/A
I agree there was no need to let rossum go. He did nothing but positive things for us in the return game, and he was a gunner. Pure speed he made plays when given the opportunity. Battle's muff pretty much cost us the game if u look at points. I to think that was the worst move sing has made since being HC. Now we have to find a return man next season a couple OL next season a saftey next season. Then i think we'll be ready... NInERS 4 Lyfe
The logic is they read the Zone and the blogs.

You asked for it and they heard your pleas.

Next cuts coming up will be in this order.

MRob.

Battle.

Duke.

Smith.

They are on the fence about Bruce though.

Glad I could be of service.

~Ceadder
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I didn’t like the move one bit. I am still waiting for an explanation.

Battle is not a punt returner. For every five punts he fair catches he fumbles one. It’s just one reason they didn’t win but it’s a big one.

It takes more than just speed to be a punt returner. It’s the vision and judging the flight of the ball with depth perception. Very few players can do it well.

If the team is going to keep Spurlock over Rossum than I would at least like to see him ACTIVE for the game Hill and Spurlock didn’t even get an invitation to the game Sunday?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Let's put Spurlock in already and end this dicussion. Battle isn't a good returner. Walker isn't a good returner. Robinson isn't a good returner. I can go down the list, but basically, we don't have any good returners. The decision to let Rossum go is puzzling because I don't see anyone taking his spot, except Spurlock who clearly has the skill to be a good returner, yet he's not doing that. I can only wonder why. When your offense and defense aren't playing well, it helps sometimes to get a jump-start from your special teams, and Spurlock can be the guy to provide that. The only other option would be Nate Clements, but that would be a little too risky.
I don't agree it was a bad move...his game has really left him. Have you seen him play for the Cowboys? He's not the player he was...last year was arguably one of the best in his career. For whatever reason, he hasn't shown anything for either SF or Dallas this season. I'd agree Battle's not the answer, either. He needs to be traded or cut...because Brandon Jones needs to get on the field. MRob did a good job with k.o. returns yesterday, avg. over 30 yds per return. Somewhere, they've got to find somebody you can return punts...it wasn't Rossum, it's not Battle. Maybe Spurlock...Clements would love to get a shot at it, but there's the injury risk factor to consider.
When will Reggie Smith be healthy? They need to give him a shot.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't agree it was a bad move...his game has really left him. Have you seen him play for the Cowboys? He's not the player he was...last year was arguably one of the best in his career. For whatever reason, he hasn't shown anything for either SF or Dallas this season. I'd agree Battle's not the answer, either. He needs to be traded or cut...because Brandon Jones needs to get on the field. MRob did a good job with k.o. returns yesterday, avg. over 30 yds per return. Somewhere, they've got to find somebody you can return punts...it wasn't Rossum, it's not Battle. Maybe Spurlock...Clements would love to get a shot at it, but there's the injury risk factor to consider.

+1. I agree that Battle is not the answer but neither was Rossum.

...that's why he was let go.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by baltien:

crazy talk

I'd rather have a one armed Rossum than Battle catching punts

This year Battle has 5 punt returns for 5 yards and 3 fumbles

I could do that good.

Do you know how many fumbles Rossum had while wearing a 9ers jersey

0 yes 81 touches 0 fumbles

First 3 games with Rossum returning punts
91 return yards

Last 3 games with Battle returning punts
5 return yards

yeah great move
No need for Rossum...he's on his way out of the league, now the question is why replace him with Battle instead Spurlock if they're so high on him? Spurlock was suppose to have this quick burst of speec etc per the coaches during training camp...
This is why I was excited to hear the Cribbs to the 49ers at the trade deadline rumors.

He's obviously a great return man, covers kickoffs and punts, and plays offense in the wildcat or as a WR.

I don't know where I heard this old NFL slogan: You don't a cut a player if you don't have a legitimate replacement waiting in the wings.

I still stand by the option of having Clements return punts, because I'm not worried about him muffing the punt as I am with Battle.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Juniorminime:
No need for Rossum...he's on his way out of the league, now the question is why replace him with Battle instead Spurlock if they're so high on him? Spurlock was suppose to have this quick burst of speec etc per the coaches during training camp...

more crazy talk

yes there is a need for him if you don't have anyone to replace him

Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

crazy talk

I could do that good.

91 return yards

5 return yards

yeah great move

Don't forget that Rossum took one to the house this season only it got called back by the incompetent Zebras.

Yup I'd rather have Battle as a PR.

Not.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

crazy talk

I could do that good.

91 return yards

5 return yards

yeah great move

Don't forget that Rossum took one to the house this season only it got called back by the incompetent Zebras.

Not.

~Ceadder

Even if Rossum's legs aren't there, His hands are way more valuable.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

crazy talk

I could do that good.

91 return yards

5 return yards

yeah great move

Not.

~Ceadder

Even if Rossum's legs aren't there, His hands are way more valuable.

Well that ship has sailed and it docked in Dallas
I say Clements to return punts & Spurlock on kickoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone