There are 172 users in the forums

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Originally posted by redrathman:
Of the two players below, which would you rather have Quarterbacking the 49ers?

Player A - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 50 of 75 (66.6%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 705 Yards
Player B - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 52 of 82 (63.4%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 548 Yards

Answer: JT O'Sullivan played incredible well through three games last year. I'm not comparing Hill to O'Sullivan, but it's far too early to judge Hill.

You forgot to add turnovers due to fumbles.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Defense and RB is what is winning games so far. QB has little to do with it.

So the winning drive against the Tards was all running Backs, huh? The scoring 4th quarter drive against the Vikes was running too, huh?
San Diego is suppose to be a happy place - why you're never happy dude?

the only game where the run has truly worked is seattle
Just for you guys still trying to blame Raye's playcalling....

Hill on Raye's system and audibles...

So there you have it, from the QB's own mouth that he is free to change the play when he sees something. So now that that is cleared up, still think it is Raye's play calling, and if it is, why doesn't Hill check to a different play if he sees we have the wrong play called?
so far, yes. he's made plays to help us win games or to put us into position to win games. Remember that he has less than a full season's worth of starts under his belt, and it is fair to assume that as this year goes on and he gets more comfortable and Raye gets more comfortable, we'll see more expansive play from him. I think its too early to really judge him, but so far you can't really argue with the results.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

So there you have it, from the QB's own mouth that he is free to change the play when he sees something. So now that that is cleared up, still think it is Raye's play calling, and if it is, why doesn't Hill check to a different play if he sees we have the wrong play called?

I've been wondering this all season. I've tried to bring it up to Maiocco but it seems to have been swept under the rug. Hill talked all summer about the ability to audible but he hasn't done it once this season. I just don't get it.

I love his play this season though. 2 total turnovers in 3 games! way to go, limit the mistakes and make the plays to get a W, he has had us in position to win in the 4th quarter every game. Now we just need to learn how to finish!
Originally posted by redrathman:
Of the two players below, which would you rather have Quarterbacking the 49ers?

Player A - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 50 of 75 (66.6%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 705 Yards
Player B - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 52 of 82 (63.4%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 548 Yards

Answer: JT O'Sullivan played incredible well through three games last year. I'm not comparing Hill to O'Sullivan, but it's far too early to judge Hill.

How's it too early to judge Hill? He did play a lot of games last year! TAKE THE BLINDERS OFF!!!
Originally posted by global_nomad:

I've been wondering this all season. I've tried to bring it up to Maiocco but it seems to have been swept under the rug. Hill talked all summer about the ability to audible but he hasn't done it once this season. I just don't get it.

I love his play this season though. 2 total turnovers in 3 games! way to go, limit the mistakes and make the plays to get a W, he has had us in position to win in the 4th quarter every game. Now we just need to learn how to finish!

To me, it looks like Hill is so scared of making the big mistake that he doesn't trust his own skills and is playing timid. I said it before, he might be feeling the pressure of being the starter whereas before he was the savior coming in to salvage the season. Guys posting here never take this into account, the guy has been a career backup, probably feeling very little pressure to perform as most of the games he played in didn't really matter in the greater scheme of things.

To me, it looks like Hill is so scared of making the big mistake that he doesn't trust his own skills and is playing timid. I said it before, he might be feeling the pressure of being the starter whereas before he was the savior coming in to salvage the season. Guys posting here never take this into account, the guy has been a career backup, probably feeling very little pressure to perform as most of the games he played in didn't really matter in the greater scheme of things.

I disagree he has over 10 starts and is closing in on having 16 starts with would be the equivalent of a full season. I think after 10 starts and seeing the success he has had (9-4) I think he is comfortable with his new role and no longer sees himself as a career back up , even if you do. He's played in a major bowl game in college, and in the NFL every Sunday you have pressure as a QB weather your the underdog or favored team.

Plus I have met Shaun Hill in person. He is focused, but very down to earth and from the conversations I've had with him I'm having trouble agreeing with you opinion although I respect it.

I disagree he has over 10 starts and is closing in on having 16 starts with would be the equivalent of a full season. I think after 10 starts and seeing the success he has had (9-4) I think he is comfortable with his new role and no longer sees himself as a career back up , even if you do. He's played in a major bowl game in college, and in the NFL every Sunday you have pressure as a QB weather your the underdog or favored team.

Plus I have met Shaun Hill in person. He is focused, but very down to earth and from the conversations I've had with him I'm having trouble agreeing with you opinion although I respect it.

I think he is probably a down to earth guy, he seems like it. But this years games are the first that really mean anything because prior to this year we were already out of the playoff picture before he came in. I do not think the guy ever thought of himself as a career back up, I do not think any NFL QB thinks that way. My theory is just that...a theory. The truth is no one but Shaun knows what he is feeling when he gets ready to step out on the field. I wish him success.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He is the best we have. He is the best since Garcia, so I will let him keep the seat warm until the next franchise QB comes along. The way the defense and running game are going, a "game manager" that makes minimal errors is good enough to win the division, and that is a step in the right direction.

Originally posted by BobS:
He is the best we have. He is the best since Garcia, so I will let him keep the seat warm until the next franchise QB comes along. The way the defense and running game are going, a "game manager" that makes minimal errors is good enough to win the division, and that is a step in the right direction.

I think we can all agree on that, for the most part.

You keep on throwing this word "audible" as if it makes Hill the O-Coordinator. Reye calls the plays. If Hill thinks this play won't do what Reye wants it to do given the defensive alignment, he can change it. Fine. But if Reye says we're going to run out the clock by going down the middle with the RB on 3rd and 6 and give MN the ball and play D (in fact this is Sing's call), then Hill CANNOT audible that! If Reye says run run run, then Hill must handoff handoff handoff. He does NOT have the authority to turn run-run-run into pass-pass-pass. Unless he's Manning, he doesn't call the game, he just has the authority to change plays given what the defense shows!
Hill is doing exactly what he needs to do for this team to win games.
Man some of you people are so transparent about your love for Alex Smith it's disgusting. The man lost the QB Competition. We are one miracle Favre pass away from being 3-0, and Shaun Hill drove for the game winning drive in the 4th Quarter in two of our games. The man has only one turnover and it was a ridiculous one at that, his arm was almost completely forward for that pass.

It's ok if you like Alex Smith, and that you're sad he isn't playing, but to say Hill isn't the answer is really stupid. The man is 9-4 on a team that has been horrible when he wasn't the starting QB. Remember how horrible we were playing last year before he came in? Can none of you remember the last three years? I do, I remember watching Weinke play the Browns, Dilfer the Statue get murdered on the field. Alex Smith turning the ball over or throwing the ball at his WR feet or behind them most of the time he passed. Then I remember Hill, and his ability to win games, and to do it by passing the ball.
Yes, he makes smart decisions and did his part against the Vikings despite their tough defense. His only turnover came because Walker gave up on the route. I don't want to get into the whole "QB of the future" thing, but his performance is good.
Share 49ersWebzone