Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Watching Chad Henne & Mark Sanchez throw the ball here on Monday night makes me realize just how limited this offense can be with Hill back there. They make the outs look easy & the deep pass so simple & pretty. We are gonna have to deal with this game management all year long, which also means 8-9 in the box & blitzs all year. I still believe we can make the playoffs, but its gonna be tough.

As long as Raye is our OC don't ever expect us to be an offense like the ones you've seen tonight.

The simple truth is that with a different QB under Center Raye can do more. If we replaced Hill and Raye was still this conservative then I could see the fuss about our OC. But I'm tellin ya man, it ain't Raye and never was.

The Falcons just dissected our Offense on national TV. Hill's weaknesses were laid bare for all to see. If people still blame the lack of Offense on Raye, then I don't know what they been watching all season. Competitive earwax collecting or something?

Now I am hoping that with a healthy Frank back that he can take off some of the pressure from Hill. But I don't see how the Texans won't steamroll right over the top of the guy. Even with their Defensive inefficiencies.

~Ceadder

Exactly!!

I don't blame Raye at this point, I think Hill had like 30 something attempts this game, Raye is letting him throw the ball. Hill is just Hill, he is limited by his physical abilities which limits the offense. His lack of mobility makes life harder for the O Line, his inability to throw a tight spiral makes life harder for the WR's, his inability to throw with velocity and distance limits what the OC (whoever that may be) in play calling. He is a glorified #2 which is fine if that's his permanent role, he sustains games and wont lose them for you. But as a starter he doesn't have the ability to take over a game and actually beat a defense. Sooner rather then later he will put us in jeopardy because of his lack of skill, I said it in the preseason, Smith will start at some point this year.

I really think it's BOTH Hill and Raye.

Hill because of his inabilities to throw an accurate deep ball, non-existence zip, and his easy-to-bat-down side arm release.

And Raye for his poor playcalling that consist of: quick routes to the flat by RBs/TEs (not talking check downs, but quick releases to the flat that end up with 0-2 yard gains), repetitive up-the-gut runs, non-imagination plays, predictable play calling, and the inability to design plays that compensate for the weak O-Line play.

You can only do so much with what you have.

But I mean, something as small as calling a screen (or draw) on downs other than 3rd and long.

How many times did Hill throw at the feet of a WR, he has a hard time hitting swing passes.
Watching Chad Henne & Mark Sanchez throw the ball here on Monday night makes me realize just how limited this offense can be with Hill back there. They make the outs look easy & the deep pass so simple & pretty. We are gonna have to deal with this game management all year long, which also means 8-9 in the box & blitzs all year. I still believe we can make the playoffs, but its gonna be tough.

As long as Raye is our OC don't ever expect us to be an offense like the ones you've seen tonight.

The simple truth is that with a different QB under Center Raye can do more. If we replaced Hill and Raye was still this conservative then I could see the fuss about our OC. But I'm tellin ya man, it ain't Raye and never was.

The Falcons just dissected our Offense on national TV. Hill's weaknesses were laid bare for all to see. If people still blame the lack of Offense on Raye, then I don't know what they been watching all season. Competitive earwax collecting or something?

Now I am hoping that with a healthy Frank back that he can take off some of the pressure from Hill. But I don't see how the Texans won't steamroll right over the top of the guy. Even with their Defensive inefficiencies.

~Ceadder

Exactly!!

I don't blame Raye at this point, I think Hill had like 30 something attempts this game, Raye is letting him throw the ball. Hill is just Hill, he is limited by his physical abilities which limits the offense. His lack of mobility makes life harder for the O Line, his inability to throw a tight spiral makes life harder for the WR's, his inability to throw with velocity and distance limits what the OC (whoever that may be) in play calling. He is a glorified #2 which is fine if that's his permanent role, he sustains games and wont lose them for you. But as a starter he doesn't have the ability to take over a game and actually beat a defense. Sooner rather then later he will put us in jeopardy because of his lack of skill, I said it in the preseason, Smith will start at some point this year.

Hill because of his inabilities to throw an accurate deep ball, non-existence zip, and his easy-to-bat-down side arm release.

And Raye for his poor playcalling that consist of: quick routes to the flat by RBs/TEs (not talking check downs, but quick releases to the flat that end up with 0-2 yard gains), repetitive up-the-gut runs, non-imagination plays, predictable play calling, and the inability to design plays that compensate for the weak O-Line play.

But I mean, something as small as calling a screen (or draw) on downs other than 3rd and long.

How many times did Hill throw at the feet of a WR, he has a hard time hitting swing passes.

True. But even a moving pocket for Hill, sweep, and other stretch plays. Something else. I swear I've seen all of the offensive plays over and over again.

~Ceadder

Exactly!!

True. But even a moving pocket for Hill, sweep, and other stretch plays. Something else. I swear I've seen all of the offensive plays over and over again.

Well having a rookie RB starting doesn't make things easier. To me it looks like more is being added every week. I'm sure a decent amount of new plays and formations will be added during the bye week. If you have 8-9 guys in the box almost every running play will be defeated at the LOS.
Well having a rookie RB starting doesn't make things easier. To me it looks like more is being added every week. I'm sure a decent amount of new plays and formations will be added during the bye week. If you have 8-9 guys in the box almost every running play will be defeated at the LOS.

Until the QB starts making some plays to keep the D somewhat honest.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
Hill has been great in comparison to what he's been allowed to do. I think if they let him throw the ball 30-35 times a game, then he would be great IMO.

he was insanely terrible sun..... what 5 for 30......
Originally posted by fan49:
Hill has been great in comparison to what he's been allowed to do. I think if they let him throw the ball 30-35 times a game, then he would be great IMO.

I agree that he isnt a Great QB.... Everyone in the NFL knows that! But, this game was not all his fault! The O-Line played like s**t! Vernon Davis was eating flies and running BS routes, not even turning around, and the other receivers looked like they were running in slow motion! He's not a great QB, but I sure as hell wouldnt want Smith in there! ...... Davis,, maybe, but Smith!
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

~Ceadder

Exactly!!

It's the O Line's fault, and the receiver should have run a shorter route so Hill could get it there
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by verb1der:

I was HOPING for a post like this when I clicked on this thread, because I feel the exact same way.

Seems like these college QBs are making a faster impact in the NFL, Henne looks like a real deal QB to me, he was amazing tonight.

I have been hammering that idea/philosophy for a while now. The argument that you draft a kid and let him sit and learn for 2-3 years is nice but a little naive at the same time. Numerous kids are coming out of college and contributing right away....we just got smoked by one on Sunday. If you draft the right kid there is no reason why they cant step right in and play, yes there will be rookie mistakes but vets make errors just as well. Granted you could draft a bust and get nothing out of him but you could also hit a bulls eye and end up with the ROY. The only way to know is to play the kid and let him ease into the system and the speed of the game. If you are willing to throw millions of dollars at a QB, you should get him into the game and make him earn his check.

Agreed.

Although in my honest opinion.....as long as Mcoughlan is the VP, he will not give up on the Alex Smith (failed) Project by drafting another QB. I hope I am wrong.

Didn't he just draft Nate Davis?

What I should've said is, a QB in the 1st round.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

I agree that he isnt a Great QB.... Everyone in the NFL knows that! But, this game was not all his fault! The O-Line played like s**t! Vernon Davis was eating flies and running BS routes, not even turning around, and the other receivers looked like they were running in slow motion! He's not a great QB, but I sure as hell wouldnt want Smith in there! ...... Davis,, maybe, but Smith!

The reason Davis wasnt turning around was because he barely had time to get off the LOS before Hill threw it. The line is terrible at picking up blitzes and stunts in the middle.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

The reason Davis wasnt turning around was because he barely had time to get off the LOS before Hill threw it. The line is terrible at picking up blitzes and stunts in the middle.

Even if he had turned his head the ball was at his feet. He wouldn't have caught any of those THREE passes in that scenario.

based on that we were play matt ryan (any qb against matt ryan not named manning or brady will look ok), and any qb standing behind our line won't produce! put alex smith back there and see what happens! START NATE DAVIS!
How can anyone say they are "happy" with Hill's performance? Our offense is not good, and I am not happy with the performance of the offense. Doesn't mean Hill sucks, or should be benched, but how can you be happy with how things have gone? Until the offense can win a game, or at least preserve a victory, I think it will be hard to be happy with the offense. Hill's performance hasn't been good. There are lots of reasons (bad o-line play, play-calling, etc), but his performance has not been good. With this offense it will be hard for this team to make the playoffs.
If you ACTUALLY watched the game, you would see that Hill made some pretty terrible passes a few times. But, you would also see that the OLine sucks so much that he never even has time to throw the ball. Before you can throw the QB under the bus, maybe we should take a look at the people who are supposed to be blocking for him...
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
based on that we were play matt ryan (any qb against matt ryan not named manning or brady will look ok), and any qb standing behind our line won't produce! put alex smith back there and see what happens! START NATE DAVIS!

This statement is beyond invalid. Ryan had forever to throw the ball, the DLine got no pressure at all... Hill would have torn our D apart if he had 10 seconds a play to throw the football...
Share 49ersWebzone