There are 248 users in the forums

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Hard to say bc of the OL play...but these types of games really show the downside to Hill's game.

Pretty much you can forget trying to comeback with his arm and that's the truth. Doesn't help that the OL doesn't block.

its not hard to say, his play has been eh, I have zero confidence on 3rd downs, his arm has no zip and he likes to float everything and let recievers hang. Whether the answer is smith or someone new in the draft I dont know.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Originally posted by TonyMantana:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

I reaslly cant believe there is anyone on this board who is "happy" with Hill. The unfortunate truth is...Shaun Hill is not the answer. I have finally been to a game where he started to see it for myself (it happened to be the game the Seahawks game two weeks ago). To say it simply, Shaun Hill is "limited" and no I am not talking about the his ability / inability to throw the long ball.

Every game I have watched Hill play he has done some good things, but I always come away feeling (and usually yelling to who ever will listen) that we need a new QB bad. Hill crumbles when the slightest pressure is felt. His ability to create something out of nothing is the most glaring problem. In the game I saw against the Hawks, Hill threw some horrible passes. He had a wide open screen that he decided to throw sidearm (right into the DL). The pass everyone says Bruce dropped when he was wide open...go back and check the film the pass was a wobbly duck!

He alone can't win us a game, and will cause us to see many defenses that looked like last week with 8-11 guys on the line of scrimmage.

THANK! YOU!

The offense looks so limited it's painful. It's pretty bad that while watching the offense, I'm actually expecting a sack or an interception. Why do you think they blitz us so much? Hill can't beat it. He can't throw deep. He can't move around. He panics and throws the ball into the dirt or throws a wobbly duck deep to a WR to have him try to pull a Randy Moss. Problem is our WRs 6 feet tall with no jumping ability. It's a mess right now. I haven't seen this offense look this bad since Tim Rattay and Steve Stenstrom were competing against each other. The freakin' dude can't even throw a spiral! I love the 49ers, but I'm not blind. I see what I see. You guys can sugarcoat it all you want, but this guy is not an NFL QB, and when we finally do get one, you'll realize it. For now, watch the tape and pretend you're a Falcons fan for a moment. Look at Matt Ryan. Now that's a QB. See the difference?

Unfortunately, that's all we have at the moment, so there's nothing else to say or do for now. But, if I'm the coach, I'm giving Hill a couple more games. He has to show me something or I'll sit him down and put someone else in. We need a spark.

You all do know that if they put in Smith or Davis, teams are still going to blitz, and defenses are still going to rip through guys like #62 like a hot knife through butter. Then we are going to talk about the terrible day Smith had. Or the terrible day Davis had.

They might look just as bad, but at least they're gaining some experience out of it. Aaron Rodgers didn't look all that great at first and neither did Eli Manning. In fact, most QBs don't. What do we gain out of Shaun Hill (who's almost 30) being thrown out there to look bad? We aren't getting anything out of it. We already KNOW that he isn't the QB of the future, right? I mean, can we say that's a given? OK, do we know that Smith isn't, for sure? How about Davis? Just seems to make sense to me to put the younger backup in if your starting QB is older and stinking it up. I'd give him a few more weeks.

it gets worse every week

And I'm not even a Smith supporter.

Just because someone is younger, does not mean they automatically get better just by being in games. They do need to go in a new direction, but I myself doubt they have the guy on this team yet. Nate is too young & inexperienced to be a factor, even if he has potential to be that guy. We all know what Smith brings to the table. Not anything better than what we have been seeing this season. We know he is not a fast learner that is going to improve with every game he plays.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
We lost yest due to the 45 points allowed, not because we couldn't score 50 points!

Peyton Manning could not have score 50 points yesterday with that OLINE, WRs and the other units.

Shaul Hill is surely not the answer for the long term. For this season, he is the best we've got. Some of the folks believe Alex will somehow suddenly create magic with the same unit? With this OLINE, he will be injured in the first couple of series. I don't see any leadership abilities or heart in him...and based on reports, the players like to play with Shaun Hill. Fwiw, he has a 10-5 record, and for a team that relies on defense, that should normally be enough.
I wouldn't mess with the QB situation on our team, but it's not upto me.
Either way, I'm happy as long as we win.

Well said. I'm of the opinion that this game was more a fluke in performance-- however our O-line needs to improve over the next two weeks. Hill is not a magician and like most QB's they become the obvious scape-goat, but all this talk about inserting Alex Smith would just create more problems with the team chemistry than solve. Hill deserves a lot more than this... and there is plenty of blame to go around.
Originally posted by SFVNiner:
We lost yest due to the 45 points allowed, not because we couldn't score 50 points!

Peyton Manning could not have score 50 points yesterday with that OLINE, WRs and the other units.

Shaul Hill is surely not the answer for the long term. For this season, he is the best we've got. Some of the folks believe Alex will somehow suddenly create magic with the same unit? With this OLINE, he will be injured in the first couple of series. I don't see any leadership abilities or heart in him...and based on reports, the players like to play with Shaun Hill. Fwiw, he has a 10-5 record, and for a team that relies on defense, that should normally be enough.

Well said. I'm of the opinion that this game was more a fluke in performance-- however our O-line needs to improve over the next two weeks. Hill is not a magician and like most QB's they become the obvious scape-goat, but all this talk about inserting Alex Smith would just create more problems with the team chemistry than solve. Hill deserves a lot more than this... and there is plenty of blame to go around.

Heck throw Brady behind that line and see what he can do. I'd bet not much better. Maybe an extended drive or two but definately a sub 14 point game.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:

Heck throw Brady behind that line and see what he can do. I'd bet not much better. Maybe an extended drive or two but definately a sub 14 point game.
What about the guy in Green Bay, he is doing pretty well putting points up with a bad O line.
Originally posted by pd24:

What about the guy in Green Bay, he is doing pretty well putting points up with a bad O line.

It doesn' t always translate into wins though... GB is 2-2 by the way. I still feel Hill gives us the best chance to win and his record reflects that so far.

I disagree with you here. Granted our o-line is not great (understatement). That said; defenses know that they can blitz us to death. Few o-lines out there can handle that kind of pressure much less one like ours that is not that great. Great QBs make defenses pay when they blitz to that extent. I may be wrong but I think that the problem is that we don’t have a QB that can capitalize on poor match-ups that come as a result of the blitz. We don’t have a QB that can recognize the blitz and hit the receivers on the hot routes. What we have is a QB that when the pressure comes, get nervous and throws the ball at the ground. We have a QB that struggles with the pressure of completing a pass on third down. We have a QB that continually dumps off passes on third and long. We have a QB that plays decent against poor defenses but really struggles against good defenses. Bottom line, we have a career backup starting at QB.

Now I will support Hill as he is a Niner and the leader of this team. That said, I am not impressed nor have I been since day one.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

It doesn' t always translate into wins though... GB is 2-2 by the way. I still feel Hill gives us the best chance to win and his record reflects that so far.

Heaven forbid but if they end 4-12 is it still Hill's record? just asking
Originally posted by 9ermj:

Heaven forbid but if they end 4-12 is it still Hill's record? just asking

Exactly. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about QB's "records". They are not boxers, tennis players, golfers, swimmers, or even starting pitchers. The are the most important position in football, the ultimate team game. Football teams have records, QBs don't.
So, I'd really like to hear Joecool's opinion of Hill now. After all, he was Hill's biggest fan. After that sh!tty performance yesterday, I wonder if Joecool is still snuggled up in Hill's jock.

What cracks me up it this: It's okay for Hill to have a lousy game. People are perfectly happy finding anyone else to blame. Yet, when Smith had all of his bad games, it was all on him. They just refuse to see the hypocrisy in their arguments.

Face it. This great game manager just showed exactly how bad of a quarterback he is. And, don't tell me it was because the offensive line sucks or the play calling was bad. Our offensive line is just as bad as it was three years ago. Our play calling is just as bad as it was two years ago.

Hill will not be anything more than just a backup pretending to be a starter.

Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Hard to say bc of the OL play...but these types of games really show the downside to Hill's game.

Pretty much you can forget trying to comeback with his arm and that's the truth. Doesn't help that the OL doesn't block.

its not hard to say, his play has been eh, I have zero confidence on 3rd downs, his arm has no zip and he likes to float everything and let recievers hang. Whether the answer is smith or someone new in the draft I dont know.

Agreed. I also think that part of the problem is that he's too eager to checkdown. It ESPECIALLY makes me cringe when he does it on 3rd down.

-9fA
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Just because someone is younger, does not mean they automatically get better just by being in games.

Really? OK then, it's almost automatic. We're talking about NFL football here. Practice and in game experience is of the utmost importance.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

Agreed. I also think that part of the problem is that he's too eager to checkdown. It ESPECIALLY makes me cringe when he does it on 3rd down.

-9fA

Agreed! It sucks to watch Ryan rifle the ball in to his recievers on third down to get the first & we check down or the ball hangs in the a like a duck to fall incomplete. I still think Hill can lead us to the playoffs, but it going to be a gut-wrenching long season.
I think part of the problem is that this team is not a power-running team. Outside of Gore's two great runs the running game has not done that much to get excited about. If we were a team that could control the ball on the ground, then Hill would be fine (not great) at QB. But the Niners arn't that team right now. Just saying it doesn't make it so.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agreed! It sucks to watch Ryan rifle the ball in to his recievers on third down to get the first & we check down or the ball hangs in the a like a duck to fall incomplete. I still think Hill can lead us to the playoffs, but it going to be a gut-wrenching long season.

Best case scenario we get into the playoffs despite Hill because Arizona doesn't get it together. We're going to have to win the NFC West cause we sure as hell ain't making a Wildcard the way our starting QB has played through 5 games and if we do it's going to be because our D plays like the 2000 Ravens did. Hill sure as hell isn't going to "lead" us to the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone