Originally posted by SJniner7:
I don't know what you guys want out of the guy. Big numbers? Has he even been in a situation this year to need big numbers? Maybe Minn or Arizona. With Seattle and St. Louis, the defense played so well, he wasn't called on to do anything.
You guys are basically blaming his stats on something he has not had the opportunity to compete for. He has not needed to have a big yet thus far, so how can you blame the guy? That is like saying "I want a divorce because i THINK you are cheating." with no substantial proof, your claim just makes you like an... well... you know...
We aren't blaming him for things beyond his control. He's being lauded for what he CAN control.
1. Holds the ball TOO LONG. This was something the news hounds stated that they worked with him and Smith on.
2. He goes to his check down when they aren't open. Come to think of it he ALWAYS goes to his check down. Well okay he's taken maybe one shot down the field per game on the average.
3. He NEVER audibles. Which kinda explains his check down average.
4. He can't sustain drives consistently. We WIN the Minnesota game if he had one or two drives go longer than 3 downs. Yeah part of that is play calling but when you are 3rd and 10+ going to the checkdown for 5 yards is pointless. Which leads me to number 5.
5. He's easy for the Opposing Defenses. They can game plan him because they know what he can and cannot do as well as his tendencies.
Put either Davis or Smith in there and I guarantee that we'd sustain longer drives.
Squirrel made the point about Hill's yardage. I'll expand on it by pointing out that Smith's average was over 200 if I recollect correctly. I love how ALL the INTs' that Smith had were all HIS fault. People keep pointing at that lone stat and saying that "we know that Smith is not good" based on that. Nevermind that a good bunch of his INTs' came in his Rookie year in less games.
Imagine if he would have Started from opening day in '05? '06 was a damn solid year for a Sophmore QB playing behind not so great an OLine. Solid Run blocking, but the pass blocking was less than average.
And my isn't it funny how Smith backers "made up excuses" but Hill backers pretty much use the same things to deflect the doubt.
All good though. I want us to Win, but I also want to see good Football in every facet of this team. We AIN'T gettin good Football.