LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Originally posted by fan49:
he could have a little help from recievers. but damn does he even have a 200 yard game.

Yes, yes he does.

[ Edited by D_Niner on Oct 6, 2009 at 13:16:44 ]
Can't we all just agree to disagree until Hill is actually put in a situation where he has to win the game because our defense is sliced up? Then we can bash/praise the guy for failing/succeeding?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Can't we all just agree to disagree until Hill is actually put in a situation where he has to win the game because our defense is sliced up? Then we can bash/praise the guy for failing/succeeding?

(This will never happen but)

Can't we all wait till after the season to pass judgement on Hill and the offense??
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
LOL... this never ends

The only questions to ask...

Have the 49ers as a team been playing much better football defensively? I think we can all agree that the answer is a big YES.

the one of pure debate is...

Could Alex do AS well or better than Shaun Hill is currently doing? With THAT defense, I'd honestly think YES... but it's impossible to know for sure... and it is what it is. So we should just enjoy the WINS... hope for the best... and let things play out. Hill isn't playing great football, but he's doing enough. I suspect that some people are less happy because they feel the wrong QB is under center and learning as he goes. That is fine, but at least be happy that the team is winning, and Hill is doing "okay" as the starter. It's ugly... it's often boring... but it's somehow working, and we ALL want wins.

I'm happy that we're 3-1. A fan that is not happy with a winning record is not a fan.

But I cannot be happy with a "Game Manager" at QB. Any one of our QBs' could do that. To suggest otherwise is myopic at best.

~Ceadder

Here is your logic.

Smith looses a game. "Yeh, well Hill would have lost it as well"
Hill wins a game. "Yeh, well Smith could have won this game as well"

Hill is 10-4 as a starter. If Smith could do this why didn't he? Why didn't he even come close? I know this team is better than before (mostly because we finally have a QB who doesn't turn it over more than he puts in in the endzone...I believe this stat is a FACT). I like FACTS. Lets try some:

-QB rating: Hill>>>>Smith
-TD/INT ratio: Hill>>>>Smith
-Record: Hill>>>>Smith

Just trying to list some FACTS, sorry if they interfere with your logic

Gist of the matter is this...

HILL IS A FREAKING BACKUP QB, WHO IS BENIFITTING FROM OUR RUN ORIENTED OFFENSE AND HAVING A SOLID DEFENSE TO PULL HIS LUCKY @$$ OUT OF THE FIRE.

QUIT TURNING THIS INTO "HILL IS BETTER THAN SMITH, OR SMITH IS BETTER THAN HILL". THAT IS NOT THE FREAKING ISSUE TO BEGIN WITH!!!

I CANNOT SEE HOW I CAN MAKE THIS ANY PLAINER THAN THAT.

I don't hate the guy but it fast getting that way when unknowledgeable posters bust my balls over such a simple thought process.

Hill < whale excrement on the bottom of the ocean so far as I am now concerned. If that means that Smith is too, so f'n be it. I'm tired of people with subpar reading skills telling me what my agenda is when they have no f'n idea other than what I've stated time and again. We have THREE QBs' on this team. Hill cannot be the best can he? It's MY opinion that HELL NO he isn't.

And to answer your question about Smith? You ALREADY know why. But here it is.

MISHANDLED

4 OCs'... well 3 and a Defensive QB coach turned OC, in 4 years.

Subpar OLine that got him KILLED and squashed by that fat f*ck Rocky Bernard(Thanks to Heitman who didn't even lay a mitt on him) and even then returned to play on a shoulder that for all intents and purposes was hanging on with nothing more than duct tape and dental floss.

A constantly changing WR corps with no. 3 and 4 Receivers playing in Starting roles. Only Battle being the most consistent of the bunch.

Should I go on? I can you know. You tell me that Hill has better stats? No $4|t? Put Hill in the SAME circumstances that Smith had to endure and I guarantee you that Bernard woulda KILLED the man.

~Ceadder

The fact is, Shawn Hill is a starter. When a guy is named the starter before the season starts, he is not a backup. Shouting to the high heavens doesn't change it. Accepting reality is your option, but it is silly to shout at people here wanting them to accept your fantasy.

SEE!!! This is what I am talking about. I'm yelling to make my point that it's not and NEVER has been about Smith. Because APPARENTLY my being completely civil means that my agenda is to get Hill removed and Smith in. Nevermind that nobody here has a say in the freakin matter.

Apparently I have to be happy with INFERIOR QB play. I have to AGREE with everyone that is a champion of Shaun Hill. If I am NOT lining up behind everyone else to make Hill feel all warm and fuzzy, then I am a hater with the IMPOSSIBLE agenda.

You guys would crack me up if I weren't sore about you telling ME what MY agenda is.

Here it is YET again.

I am GLAD that we are 3-1

I am incensed that our QB has no freakin pride.

To answer someone's assertion that he should have been a Starter a long time ago. Horse$4|t. He wasn't a Starter a long time ago because he has TOO MANY flaws. Flaws that make him a pure BACKUP and not a Starter. He's a Starter now only cause he was NAMED a Starter. Doesn't make him one. The league is LITTERED with guys that were great Backups and mediocre to absolutely suck Starters who were Backups.

Man, I'm not rooting for us to Lose but I sure can't wait for the curtain to be pulled back to show us the "GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ".

When it happens I'm gonna be right here shaking my head. No smug looks, no "I told you so" no nothing. Just shaking my head because few here would take a step back and actually LOOK at the guy without thinking "7-3,8-3,9-3, 9-4..." and just LOOK at the body of work ON the field.

But I guess that's too much to ask. Drives against a Rams team in disarray don't even count. It's like beating up on last years Lions. They are obviously one of the WORST teams in the league. We SHOULD have won. But we should have won by more considering that we beat Sheattle who ALMOST dropped a fittyburger on them AND shut them out.

This is what I am on about. It has NOTHING to do with the other guys other than they are ALSO 49ers QBs' who I believe could do the SAME freakin job that Hill is. If Smith were NO LONGER on the team I would be saying the same thing using ANOTHER players name. Smith wouldn't have even been in the conversation unless someone else brought him up and even then I wouldn't have given it much play.

And I do NOT expect Hill to be Peyton Manning. As a 30+ year fan of the 49ers however, I have expectations from the position. Rattay btw(to put this all in one neat package) had a completely different Offensive unit the year before than what Smith had and we lost Peterson in free agency. Not to mention that Smith should NEVER have started a single game for anything more than injury replacement.

I'm DONE talking about Smith. It's '09 Shaun Hill is our Starter and HE is the target of my ire. You can spin this any way you want but in the end Hill just AIN'T getting the job done. 4th quarter drives aside Hill SUCKS @$$. My bad if it offends you but well I only know straight up not "tactful".

~Ceadder

Your rants are a little legnthy and hard to read. But I get the bottom line. You hate the starter.

Oh well, at least some of us are getting enjoyment out of the football season thus far. I feel sorry for those that just want to remain bitter. They are missing out on the fun.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Here's another difference maker, Hill didn't OR doesn't have a 1,700 yard rusher to take pressure off of him like we did back in 2006. If we had better QB play back then, I have no doubt in my mind that we would've seen a wild card spot in the playoffs.

Actually, if we had gone for it on 4th and inches vs. the Rams we would have probably made the playoffs that year.

*I hope I'm not saying that again this year with the Minnesota game (I don't think I will be, our defense is just too raw).

Or

Maybe if Smith hadn't thrown two picks in that game we would've went to the playoffs??

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by 9ermj:
LOL... this never ends

Have the 49ers as a team been playing much better football defensively? I think we can all agree that the answer is a big YES.

Could Alex do AS well or better than Shaun Hill is currently doing? With THAT defense, I'd honestly think YES... but it's impossible to know for sure... and it is what it is. So we should just enjoy the WINS... hope for the best... and let things play out. Hill isn't playing great football, but he's doing enough. I suspect that some people are less happy because they feel the wrong QB is under center and learning as he goes. That is fine, but at least be happy that the team is winning, and Hill is doing "okay" as the starter. It's ugly... it's often boring... but it's somehow working, and we ALL want wins.

I'm happy that we're 3-1. A fan that is not happy with a winning record is not a fan.

But I cannot be happy with a "Game Manager" at QB. Any one of our QBs' could do that. To suggest otherwise is myopic at best.

~Ceadder

Here is your logic.

Hill is 10-4 as a starter. If Smith could do this why didn't he? Why didn't he even come close? I know this team is better than before (mostly because we finally have a QB who doesn't turn it over more than he puts in in the endzone...I believe this stat is a FACT). I like FACTS. Lets try some:

HILL IS A FREAKING BACKUP QB, WHO IS BENIFITTING FROM OUR RUN ORIENTED OFFENSE AND HAVING A SOLID DEFENSE TO PULL HIS LUCKY @$$ OUT OF THE FIRE.

QUIT TURNING THIS INTO "HILL IS BETTER THAN SMITH, OR SMITH IS BETTER THAN HILL". THAT IS NOT THE FREAKING ISSUE TO BEGIN WITH!!!

I don't hate the guy but it fast getting that way when unknowledgeable posters bust my balls over such a simple thought process.

Hill < whale excrement on the bottom of the ocean so far as I am now concerned. If that means that Smith is too, so f'n be it. I'm tired of people with subpar reading skills telling me what my agenda is when they have no f'n idea other than what I've stated time and again. We have THREE QBs' on this team. Hill cannot be the best can he? It's MY opinion that HELL NO he isn't.

MISHANDLED

Subpar OLine that got him KILLED and squashed by that fat f*ck Rocky Bernard(Thanks to Heitman who didn't even lay a mitt on him) and even then returned to play on a shoulder that for all intents and purposes was hanging on with nothing more than duct tape and dental floss.

A constantly changing WR corps with no. 3 and 4 Receivers playing in Starting roles. Only Battle being the most consistent of the bunch.

Should I go on? I can you know. You tell me that Hill has better stats? No $4|t? Put Hill in the SAME circumstances that Smith had to endure and I guarantee you that Bernard woulda KILLED the man.

~Ceadder

The fact is, Shawn Hill is a starter. When a guy is named the starter before the season starts, he is not a backup. Shouting to the high heavens doesn't change it. Accepting reality is your option, but it is silly to shout at people here wanting them to accept your fantasy.

SEE!!! This is what I am talking about. I'm yelling to make my point that it's not and NEVER has been about Smith. Because APPARENTLY my being completely civil means that my agenda is to get Hill removed and Smith in. Nevermind that nobody here has a say in the freakin matter.

Apparently I have to be happy with INFERIOR QB play. I have to AGREE with everyone that is a champion of Shaun Hill. If I am NOT lining up behind everyone else to make Hill feel all warm and fuzzy, then I am a hater with the IMPOSSIBLE agenda.

You guys would crack me up if I weren't sore about you telling ME what MY agenda is.

Here it is YET again.

To answer someone's assertion that he should have been a Starter a long time ago. Horse$4|t. He wasn't a Starter a long time ago because he has TOO MANY flaws. Flaws that make him a pure BACKUP and not a Starter. He's a Starter now only cause he was NAMED a Starter. Doesn't make him one. The league is LITTERED with guys that were great Backups and mediocre to absolutely suck Starters who were Backups.

Man, I'm not rooting for us to Lose but I sure can't wait for the curtain to be pulled back to show us the "GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ".

When it happens I'm gonna be right here shaking my head. No smug looks, no "I told you so" no nothing. Just shaking my head because few here would take a step back and actually LOOK at the guy without thinking "7-3,8-3,9-3, 9-4..." and just LOOK at the body of work ON the field.

But I guess that's too much to ask. Drives against a Rams team in disarray don't even count. It's like beating up on last years Lions. They are obviously one of the WORST teams in the league. We SHOULD have won. But we should have won by more considering that we beat Sheattle who ALMOST dropped a fittyburger on them AND shut them out.

This is what I am on about. It has NOTHING to do with the other guys other than they are ALSO 49ers QBs' who I believe could do the SAME freakin job that Hill is. If Smith were NO LONGER on the team I would be saying the same thing using ANOTHER players name. Smith wouldn't have even been in the conversation unless someone else brought him up and even then I wouldn't have given it much play.

And I do NOT expect Hill to be Peyton Manning. As a 30+ year fan of the 49ers however, I have expectations from the position. Rattay btw(to put this all in one neat package) had a completely different Offensive unit the year before than what Smith had and we lost Peterson in free agency. Not to mention that Smith should NEVER have started a single game for anything more than injury replacement.

I'm DONE talking about Smith. It's '09 Shaun Hill is our Starter and HE is the target of my ire. You can spin this any way you want but in the end Hill just AIN'T getting the job done. 4th quarter drives aside Hill SUCKS @$$. My bad if it offends you but well I only know straight up not "tactful".

~Ceadder

Ceadder, I feel your pain , I for one don't want or need Gomer Pyle at QB , I too expect the QB to make ALL the throws required of the job , my biggest gripe is the velocity on Hill's passes they are so slow in arriving that the defender has time to make up any seperation with the WR. I have a new theory that the reason Hill is getting away with so far is it's like a change up and the defenders are expecting NFL velocity instead of Pop Warner

If your main complaint so far this season is the velocity of Hill's throws, then you have nothing to complain about.

Damn, how spoiled are you people, do you not remember how bad we were the past couple years?

LOL, remember how ridiculously people were happry in 2005 cause Smith finally made one TD pass.

How about when it wasn't Smith's fault nor did he do anything wrong to help us get shutout in 2006 vs. KC.

People were much happier back then, when we were losing with Smith at the helm.

Apparently 7 TD to 1 INT with a 93.3 QB rating isn't good enough for some people.

They want "a ball that can go real far and real fast!!"

If that is the case, they should become Raider fans. Jamarcus Russell can throw the ball real hard. He might miss his receivers by ten yards, but hey, he has a cannon for an arm.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I tend to agree with Ceadderman on this. Hill doesn't really impress me in any one area. Yes, he is getting the job done, but all that means is he's managing the game. His lack of mobility always turns into a sack and its very frustrating. IMO all he is, is a glorified #2 QB who is getting to start because we have no other options. At best he could start again next year but I think that's all we will give him. He is not going to turn into an above average athlete, so for those who expect a long career out of him.....its not going to happen. He is a good QB, not a great one, and if you want to go deep into the playoffs you better have a great QB under center.

It really depends on how GOOD this defense gets. I still think it has some holes on defense and is pretty young defense.

We might just need 3 points a game to win

The perfect example was when we played the Vikings. When Favre scrambled and made our guys miss he came up huge with that pass to Lewis. If the situation was reversed Hill would of gone done immediately, the guy cant move worth s**t. That's another reason why we have so many sacks, once he get touched he is going down.

That's kind of unfair, considering that Favre has done that his entire career. Making something out of nothing comes alot more naturally to him.

But this is something to ponder.

If Hill had moved the chains one or more times in the first three quarters of play on OUR side of the field then Favre would NEVER have gotten the chance to get that come from behind victory.

This is the thing that has me the most irked. 3 and outs. They are deal breakers when they consistently happen for 3 quarters of play. It's just Hill's luck that our Defense is just good enough to make the difference in teams that we match up well with. These next what 6 games will be the barometer of this team as well as our QB.

~Ceadder
I tend to agree with Ceadderman on this. Hill doesn't really impress me in any one area. Yes, he is getting the job done, but all that means is he's managing the game. His lack of mobility always turns into a sack and its very frustrating. IMO all he is, is a glorified #2 QB who is getting to start because we have no other options. At best he could start again next year but I think that's all we will give him. He is not going to turn into an above average athlete, so for those who expect a long career out of him.....its not going to happen. He is a good QB, not a great one, and if you want to go deep into the playoffs you better have a great QB under center.

It really depends on how GOOD this defense gets. I still think it has some holes on defense and is pretty young defense.

The perfect example was when we played the Vikings. When Favre scrambled and made our guys miss he came up huge with that pass to Lewis. If the situation was reversed Hill would of gone done immediately, the guy cant move worth s**t. That's another reason why we have so many sacks, once he get touched he is going down.

That's kind of unfair, considering that Favre has done that his entire career. Making something out of nothing comes alot more naturally to him.

If Hill had moved the chains one or more times in the first three quarters of play on OUR side of the field then Favre would NEVER have gotten the chance to get that come from behind victory.

This is the thing that has me the most irked. 3 and outs. They are deal breakers when they consistently happen for 3 quarters of play. It's just Hill's luck that our Defense is just good enough to make the difference in teams that we match up well with. These next what 6 games will be the barometer of this team as well as our QB.

~Ceadder

Favre and a whole host of other QB's have been doing this....Romo, Big Ben, Anderson, Eli, Brees, Cutler the list goes on and on. Expecting a QB to move out of the pocket and avoid a sack isn't only for Pro Bowl caliber guys, all of them should be able to do it. Regardless of the throw Favre made, I'm convinced Hill who is 10 years younger then Favre wouldn't of evaded the pressure and sack.
Originally posted by 9ermj:
LOL... this never ends

~Ceadder

Here is your logic.

MISHANDLED

~Ceadder

Here it is YET again.

~Ceadder

Ceadder, I feel your pain , I for one don't want or need Gomer Pyle at QB , I too expect the QB to make ALL the throws required of the job , my biggest gripe is the velocity on Hill's passes they are so slow in arriving that the defender has time to make up any seperation with the WR. I have a new theory that the reason Hill is getting away with so far is it's like a change up and the defenders are expecting NFL velocity instead of Pop Warner

If your main complaint so far this season is the velocity of Hill's throws, then you have nothing to complain about.

Damn, how spoiled are you people, do you not remember how bad we were the past couple years?

LOL, remember how ridiculously people were happry in 2005 cause Smith finally made one TD pass.

How about when it wasn't Smith's fault nor did he do anything wrong to help us get shutout in 2006 vs. KC.

Apparently 7 TD to 1 INT with a 93.3 QB rating isn't good enough for some people.

They want "a ball that can go real far and real fast!!"

If that is the case, they should become Raider fans. Jamarcus Russell can throw the ball real hard. He might miss his receivers by ten yards, but hey, he has a cannon for an arm.

No thanks. Could you see me dealing with Uncle Al and the Black Hole of Suckitude?!?

At least I have a sense of humor enough to recognize that you're joking.

*Edit* btw, If anyone can find a thread where I was CONSISTENTLY irritable and down on a Starter for "absolutely no good reason" prior to Hill(I disagree with the ngr stance in this matter) then you have a reason to question my comments as "needing a reason to gripe and never happy, etc.", but I know that you can't so I'm at a loss as to how people can even make that assertion about me. *ediT*

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 6, 2009 at 13:56:06 ]
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Method:

Difference between now and then, and there is a difference, is that we are team that has an identity as a defense. You can not disagree or argue that point. As a defensive unit, we are exponentially better then we were in 2006, and that's a fact. Put this together with an offense that could actually move the ball more then 200 yards against the god-awful Rams. I accede the point that Shaun has gotten 7 touch downs and 1 interception, which is great, but damn. One or two drives per game is not going to get it done IMO. We need more points on the board from our offense, period. If that's the fault of the QB, OL, WR, or OC, we need to work on it badly.

Actually, if the thread title was "Are you happy with the Offense's production?" I would post the same stuff and everyone would agree. We haven't been getting it done. If I were to grade our offense right now, I'd say we're a C- at best, maybe even a D without Gore.

Singletary said as much this morning

~Ceadder

Favre and a whole host of other QB's have been doing this....Romo, Big Ben, Anderson, Eli, Brees, Cutler the list goes on and on. Expecting a QB to move out of the pocket and avoid a sack isn't only for Pro Bowl caliber guys, all of them should be able to do it. Regardless of the throw Favre made, I'm convinced Hill who is 10 years younger then Favre wouldn't of evaded the pressure and sack.

3rd down conversions need improvement for sure with the offense, but I think this applies to more than just the QB. O-line needs to get their sh*t together. People need to stop dropping passes. Playcalling needsto stop telegraphing to defenses exactly what they plan on doing. And Hill needs to step it up too, and have better pocket awareness & find some of those open guys quicker.

No thanks. Could you see me dealing with Uncle Al and the Black Hole of Suckitude?!?

At least I have a sense of humor enough to recognize that you're joking.

~Ceadder

I don't think it was a joke...
He's too inconsistent with passes
Don't trust him on 3rd down conversions
Stares down receivers

Draft McCoy!
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
He's too inconsistent with passes
Don't trust him on 3rd down conversions
Stares down receivers

Draft McCoy!

let SMith play with the starters