LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Originally posted by NJNiner:
Yes I am happy with S. Hill's performance. Hill will only get better with more playing time as he seems to improve with every game. Hill put that deep ball right in Morgan's hands and it would have been an easy TD if Morgan didn't drop the ball. Everyone is talking about Hill's noodle arm but this past game he showed that he has what it takes to go deep, now he just needs the right WR's to go out and make the catch.

... One decent pass(dropped) is nothing to be ecstatic about NJ. And sorry,but I cannot say that he's continually made improvements. It's NOT hard to throw a nice pass. Yet Shaun continues to throw some of the wobbliest passes I have EVER seen from an NFL QB. Hell, I'm not asking for the man to be perfect. Just want him to have some F'N pride and work on the things that he is often criticized about. That would go a LONG way to winning everybody over. The main thing is perfecting his spiral. Is it any wonder the man was NEVER a true Starter before this season?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Yes I am happy with S. Hill's performance. Hill will only get better with more playing time as he seems to improve with every game. Hill put that deep ball right in Morgan's hands and it would have been an easy TD if Morgan didn't drop the ball. Everyone is talking about Hill's noodle arm but this past game he showed that he has what it takes to go deep, now he just needs the right WR's to go out and make the catch.

... One decent pass(dropped) is nothing to be ecstatic about NJ. And sorry,but I cannot say that he's continually made improvements. It's NOT hard to throw a nice pass. Yet Shaun continues to throw some of the wobbliest passes I have EVER seen from an NFL QB. Hell, I'm not asking for the man to be perfect. Just want him to have some F'N pride and work on the things that he is often criticized about. That would go a LONG way to winning everybody over. The main thing is perfecting his spiral. Is it any wonder the man was NEVER a true Starter before this season?

~Ceadder

Who said I was ecstatic about it? Sounds like you are pretty down on Hill. I am not. He wins games, granted with a lot of help from our D but I like winning, how about you?

~Ceadder

It actually is kind of a wonder that he has never been a starter.

He has a 93.3 QB rating.

He also single handedly drove down the field in the 4th quarter for a TD against the defending NFC champs, and then did it again TWICE against the undefeated Vikings!

Not to mention that he doesn't turn the ball over. What more do you want from the guy?

Before you piss and moan about our QB who doesn't play like Peyton Manning, think about all the QBs we've gone through since Garcia left
Originally posted by RayFinkle:

~Ceadder

He has a 93.3 QB rating.

He also single handedly drove down the field in the 4th quarter for a TD against the defending NFC champs, and then did it again TWICE against the undefeated Vikings!

Not to mention that he doesn't turn the ball over. What more do you want from the guy?

Before you piss and moan about our QB who doesn't play like Peyton Manning, think about all the QBs we've gone through since Garcia left

Nice post RayFinkle and welcome to the Webzone

~Ceadder

He has a 93.3 QB rating.

Nice post Ray, ohh and the Laces were out...

[ Edited by D_Niner on Oct 6, 2009 at 09:06:51 ]
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

Really? I'm still stunned a guy like this is so loved by the zoners what's so great about him? I must be missing something , I like the wins but do you really believe he single handedly drove down the field , how is that even possible

~Ceadder

He has a 93.3 QB rating.

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
LOL... this never ends

The only questions to ask...

Have the 49ers as a team been playing much better football defensively? I think we can all agree that the answer is a big YES.

the one of pure debate is...

Could Alex do AS well or better than Shaun Hill is currently doing? With THAT defense, I'd honestly think YES... but it's impossible to know for sure... and it is what it is. So we should just enjoy the WINS... hope for the best... and let things play out. Hill isn't playing great football, but he's doing enough. I suspect that some people are less happy because they feel the wrong QB is under center and learning as he goes. That is fine, but at least be happy that the team is winning, and Hill is doing "okay" as the starter. It's ugly... it's often boring... but it's somehow working, and we ALL want wins.

I'm happy that we're 3-1. A fan that is not happy with a winning record is not a fan.

But I cannot be happy with a "Game Manager" at QB. Any one of our QBs' could do that. To suggest otherwise is myopic at best.

~Ceadder

Here is your logic.

Smith looses a game. "Yeh, well Hill would have lost it as well"
Hill wins a game. "Yeh, well Smith could have won this game as well"

Hill is 10-4 as a starter. If Smith could do this why didn't he? Why didn't he even come close? I know this team is better than before (mostly because we finally have a QB who doesn't turn it over more than he puts in in the endzone...I believe this stat is a FACT). I like FACTS. Lets try some:

-QB rating: Hill>>>>Smith
-TD/INT ratio: Hill>>>>Smith
-Record: Hill>>>>Smith

Just trying to list some FACTS, sorry if they interfere with your logic

Gist of the matter is this...

HILL IS A FREAKING BACKUP QB, WHO IS BENIFITTING FROM OUR RUN ORIENTED OFFENSE AND HAVING A SOLID DEFENSE TO PULL HIS LUCKY @$$ OUT OF THE FIRE.

QUIT TURNING THIS INTO "HILL IS BETTER THAN SMITH, OR SMITH IS BETTER THAN HILL". THAT IS NOT THE FREAKING ISSUE TO BEGIN WITH!!!

I CANNOT SEE HOW I CAN MAKE THIS ANY PLAINER THAN THAT.

I don't hate the guy but it fast getting that way when unknowledgeable posters bust my balls over such a simple thought process.

Hill < whale excrement on the bottom of the ocean so far as I am now concerned. If that means that Smith is too, so f'n be it. I'm tired of people with subpar reading skills telling me what my agenda is when they have no f'n idea other than what I've stated time and again. We have THREE QBs' on this team. Hill cannot be the best can he? It's MY opinion that HELL NO he isn't.

And to answer your question about Smith? You ALREADY know why. But here it is.

MISHANDLED

4 OCs'... well 3 and a Defensive QB coach turned OC, in 4 years.

Subpar OLine that got him KILLED and squashed by that fat f*ck Rocky Bernard(Thanks to Heitman who didn't even lay a mitt on him) and even then returned to play on a shoulder that for all intents and purposes was hanging on with nothing more than duct tape and dental floss.

A constantly changing WR corps with no. 3 and 4 Receivers playing in Starting roles. Only Battle being the most consistent of the bunch.

Should I go on? I can you know. You tell me that Hill has better stats? No $4|t? Put Hill in the SAME circumstances that Smith had to endure and I guarantee you that Bernard woulda KILLED the man.

~Ceadder

The fact is, Shawn Hill is a starter. When a guy is named the starter before the season starts, he is not a backup. Shouting to the high heavens doesn't change it. Accepting reality is your option, but it is silly to shout at people here wanting them to accept your fantasy.
LOL... this never ends

Have the 49ers as a team been playing much better football defensively? I think we can all agree that the answer is a big YES.

Could Alex do AS well or better than Shaun Hill is currently doing? With THAT defense, I'd honestly think YES... but it's impossible to know for sure... and it is what it is. So we should just enjoy the WINS... hope for the best... and let things play out. Hill isn't playing great football, but he's doing enough. I suspect that some people are less happy because they feel the wrong QB is under center and learning as he goes. That is fine, but at least be happy that the team is winning, and Hill is doing "okay" as the starter. It's ugly... it's often boring... but it's somehow working, and we ALL want wins.

I'm happy that we're 3-1. A fan that is not happy with a winning record is not a fan.

But I cannot be happy with a "Game Manager" at QB. Any one of our QBs' could do that. To suggest otherwise is myopic at best.

~Ceadder

Here is your logic.

Hill is 10-4 as a starter. If Smith could do this why didn't he? Why didn't he even come close? I know this team is better than before (mostly because we finally have a QB who doesn't turn it over more than he puts in in the endzone...I believe this stat is a FACT). I like FACTS. Lets try some:

HILL IS A FREAKING BACKUP QB, WHO IS BENIFITTING FROM OUR RUN ORIENTED OFFENSE AND HAVING A SOLID DEFENSE TO PULL HIS LUCKY @$$ OUT OF THE FIRE.

QUIT TURNING THIS INTO "HILL IS BETTER THAN SMITH, OR SMITH IS BETTER THAN HILL". THAT IS NOT THE FREAKING ISSUE TO BEGIN WITH!!!

I don't hate the guy but it fast getting that way when unknowledgeable posters bust my balls over such a simple thought process.

Hill < whale excrement on the bottom of the ocean so far as I am now concerned. If that means that Smith is too, so f'n be it. I'm tired of people with subpar reading skills telling me what my agenda is when they have no f'n idea other than what I've stated time and again. We have THREE QBs' on this team. Hill cannot be the best can he? It's MY opinion that HELL NO he isn't.

MISHANDLED

Subpar OLine that got him KILLED and squashed by that fat f*ck Rocky Bernard(Thanks to Heitman who didn't even lay a mitt on him) and even then returned to play on a shoulder that for all intents and purposes was hanging on with nothing more than duct tape and dental floss.

A constantly changing WR corps with no. 3 and 4 Receivers playing in Starting roles. Only Battle being the most consistent of the bunch.

Should I go on? I can you know. You tell me that Hill has better stats? No $4|t? Put Hill in the SAME circumstances that Smith had to endure and I guarantee you that Bernard woulda KILLED the man.

~Ceadder

aaaahhhh Tim Rattay was in those situations or worse had put up fine numbers. I'm sure Hill could have too....oh that is right, that one year when he came in and did fine with the same players. Sure Tampa put in their backups in the second half but there were other games that year..... really though I'd think you would give Shaun the benefit of the doubt because he won those games just like he is winning these.... couple TDs about 250 yds passing.

*runs from Ceadder's RAGE!!!*
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
I can't stand how Shaun Hill bends over in defeat or cringes when he feels the pressure around him. He responds in this manner rather than trying to get away from the pile caving in on him. He needs to toughen up!

Or could it be that hes protecting the ball?? Hmmmm, you know what I don't remember him turning the ball over lately, so it could be.

There's numerous times when Hill will stand in the pocket till the last second and deliver the ball, I wouldn't say he bends over in defeat or cringes.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I can't stand how Shaun Hill bends over in defeat or cringes when he feels the pressure around him. He responds in this manner rather than trying to get away from the pile caving in on him. He needs to toughen up!

Or could it be that hes protecting the ball?? Hmmmm, you know what I don't remember him turning the ball over lately, so it could be.

There's numerous times when Hill will stand in the pocket till the last second and deliver the ball, I wouldn't say he bends over in defeat or cringes.

That's it right there.

Singletary beat his QBs over the head this summer with the "no interceptions" mantra. Clearly, Hill is willing to take sacks and hold on to the ball rather than risk throwing into coverage or small windows. It doesn't make for pretty football, but with a defense like ours, it's been highly effective.

In other words, I'd rather have a QB that knows how to take a sack than one who throws picks. Sacks are drive-killers, but picks are win-killers.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:53:57 ]

Singletary's Priority #1 = Total Ball Security.

And every preceeding Niner HC has preached ball security in one form or another.

And who has the ball in his hands on practically EVERY play? The QB (and the Center).

And here is how 4 recent Niner QB's have largely responded to this no-turnover dictum, especially in the 4th quarter:

Rattay -and O'Sullivan - throw interception or fumble during a sack, facilitating crushing 4th quarter scores by the opposition.

Smith - throw the ball away out-of-bounds, resulting in sputtering offense and stopping the clock, to the detriment of ball possession and TOP, putting the tired D back on the field for more reps.

Hill - quickly go thru progression and get ball out of his hands to the check-down guy, to sustain drives and maintain ball control, protecting the D.

Hill's performance benefits this team well beyonnd his passing statistics.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

There it is...

2008 First 4 games 3 interceptions and 3 lost fumbles from the QB.
2007 First 4 games 3 interceptions and 2 lost fumbles from the QBs.

2009 First 4 games 1 interception and 1 lost fumble from the QB.

So we went form 1.25 to 1.5 turnovers per game from the QB in 07 and 08 down to 0.5 per game in 09...
Originally posted by djfullshred:
LOL... this never ends

~Ceadder

Here is your logic.

MISHANDLED

~Ceadder

The fact is, Shawn Hill is a starter. When a guy is named the starter before the season starts, he is not a backup. Shouting to the high heavens doesn't change it. Accepting reality is your option, but it is silly to shout at people here wanting them to accept your fantasy.

SEE!!! This is what I am talking about. I'm yelling to make my point that it's not and NEVER has been about Smith. Because APPARENTLY my being completely civil means that my agenda is to get Hill removed and Smith in. Nevermind that nobody here has a say in the freakin matter.

Apparently I have to be happy with INFERIOR QB play. I have to AGREE with everyone that is a champion of Shaun Hill. If I am NOT lining up behind everyone else to make Hill feel all warm and fuzzy, then I am a hater with the IMPOSSIBLE agenda.

You guys would crack me up if I weren't sore about you telling ME what MY agenda is.

Here it is YET again.

I am GLAD that we are 3-1

I am incensed that our QB has no freakin pride.

To answer someone's assertion that he should have been a Starter a long time ago. Horse$4|t. He wasn't a Starter a long time ago because he has TOO MANY flaws. Flaws that make him a pure BACKUP and not a Starter. He's a Starter now only cause he was NAMED a Starter. Doesn't make him one. The league is LITTERED with guys that were great Backups and mediocre to absolutely suck Starters who were Backups.

Man, I'm not rooting for us to Lose but I sure can't wait for the curtain to be pulled back to show us the "GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ".

When it happens I'm gonna be right here shaking my head. No smug looks, no "I told you so" no nothing. Just shaking my head because few here would take a step back and actually LOOK at the guy without thinking "7-3,8-3,9-3, 9-4..." and just LOOK at the body of work ON the field.

But I guess that's too much to ask. Drives against a Rams team in disarray don't even count. It's like beating up on last years Lions. They are obviously one of the WORST teams in the league. We SHOULD have won. But we should have won by more considering that we beat Sheattle who ALMOST dropped a fittyburger on them AND shut them out.

This is what I am on about. It has NOTHING to do with the other guys other than they are ALSO 49ers QBs' who I believe could do the SAME freakin job that Hill is. If Smith were NO LONGER on the team I would be saying the same thing using ANOTHER players name. Smith wouldn't have even been in the conversation unless someone else brought him up and even then I wouldn't have given it much play.

And I do NOT expect Hill to be Peyton Manning. As a 30+ year fan of the 49ers however, I have expectations from the position. Rattay btw(to put this all in one neat package) had a completely different Offensive unit the year before than what Smith had and we lost Peterson in free agency. Not to mention that Smith should NEVER have started a single game for anything more than injury replacement.

I'm DONE talking about Smith. It's '09 Shaun Hill is our Starter and HE is the target of my ire. You can spin this any way you want but in the end Hill just AIN'T getting the job done. 4th quarter drives aside Hill SUCKS @$$. My bad if it offends you but well I only know straight up not "tactful".

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 6, 2009 at 12:02:16 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
So if Smith could do the exact same thing as Hill would you or would you not criticize Smith the same way you are doing Hill Ceadder??

(As you mentioned in your post above)
Originally posted by djfullshred:
LOL... this never ends

~Ceadder

Here is your logic.

MISHANDLED

~Ceadder

SEE!!! This is what I am talking about. I'm yelling to make my point that it's not and NEVER has been about Smith. Because APPARENTLY my being completely civil means that my agenda is to get Hill removed and Smith in. Nevermind that nobody here has a say in the freakin matter.

Apparently I have to be happy with INFERIOR QB play. I have to AGREE with everyone that is a champion of Shaun Hill. If I am NOT lining up behind everyone else to make Hill feel all warm and fuzzy, then I am a hater with the IMPOSSIBLE agenda.

You guys would crack me up if I weren't sore about you telling ME what MY agenda is.

Here it is YET again.

I am GLAD that we are 3-1

I am incensed that our QB has no freakin pride.

To answer someone's assertion that he should have been a Starter a long time ago. Horse$4|t. He wasn't a Starter a long time ago because he has TOO MANY flaws. Flaws that make him a pure BACKUP and not a Starter. He's a Starter now only cause he was NAMED a Starter. Doesn't make him one. The league is LITTERED with guys that were great Backups and mediocre to absolutely suck Starters who were Backups.

Man, I'm not rooting for us to Lose but I sure can't wait for the curtain to be pulled back to show us the "GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ".

When it happens I'm gonna be right here shaking my head. No smug looks, no "I told you so" no nothing. Just shaking my head because few here would take a step back and actually LOOK at the guy without thinking "7-3,8-3,9-3, 9-4..." and just LOOK at the body of work ON the field.

But I guess that's too much to ask. Drives against a Rams team in disarray don't even count. It's like beating up on last years Lions. They are obviously one of the WORST teams in the league. We SHOULD have won. But we should have won by more considering that we beat Sheattle who ALMOST dropped a fittyburger on them AND shut them out.

This is what I am on about. It has NOTHING to do with the other guys other than they are ALSO 49ers QBs' who I believe could do the SAME freakin job that Hill is. If Smith were NO LONGER on the team I would be saying the same thing using ANOTHER players name. Smith wouldn't have even been in the conversation unless someone else brought him up and even then I wouldn't have given it much play.

And I do NOT expect Hill to be Peyton Manning. As a 30+ year fan of the 49ers however, I have expectations from the position. Rattay btw(to put this all in one neat package) had a completely different Offensive unit the year before than what Smith had and we lost Peterson in free agency. Not to mention that Smith should NEVER have started a single game for anything more than injury replacement.

I'm DONE talking about Smith. It's '09 Shaun Hill is our Starter and HE is the target of my ire. You can spin this any way you want but in the end Hill just AIN'T getting the job done. 4th quarter drives aside Hill SUCKS @$$. My bad if it offends you but well I only know straight up not "tactful".

~Ceadder

You REALLY need to chiil out Ceadder. Your rants are way over the top!
Share 49ersWebzone