There are 233 users in the forums

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

• username
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by frenchmov:
are you kidding me? how can anyone answer no to this question after what this franchise has been through the past 5 years?

hill has committed ONE turnover this season and has looked very good in the short-to-intermediate areas.

he is also 2-1 (and would be 3-0 if the coaches would actually let him be a qb instead of handing the ball off all the time when we're up).

you can say he doesn't have all the tools and you'd be right but we haven't seen qb play this good since jeff garcia, and that is a fact

amen brother!
Originally posted by Squirrel:
If these stats were posted by someone named Smith, half the Zone would be having kittens, claiming he is a bust and totally worthless. Yet, because Hill is putting up these numbers, people are happy. I just don't get it.

FYI, take a look at the bottom of the stats for passing yards:

22 Shaun Hill SF QB 66 106 62.3 26.5 700 6.6 175.0 5 1 32 30.2 50 7 1 13 93.3
23 Matt Ryan ATL QB 60 91 65.9 30.3 648 7.1 216.0 5 1 38 41.8 27 9 0 2 100.4
24 Seneca Wallace SEA QB 74 112 66.1 28.0 645 5.8 161.2 3 2 34 30.4 39T 6 0 8 82.6
25 Jake Delhomme CAR QB 54 91 59.3 30.3 601 6.6 200.3 2 7 31 34.1 32 8 0 7 54.3
26 Byron Leftwich TB QB 58 107 54.2 35.7 594 5.6 198.0 4 3 27 25.2 47 7 2 2 71.2
27 Brett Favre MIN QB 61 94 64.9 31.3 566 6.0 188.7 5 1 30 31.9 36 5 0 9 94.5
28 JaMarcus Russell OAK QB 43 108 39.8 27.0 506 4.7 126.5 1 4 25 23.1 57T 4 1 8 42.4
29 Matt Cassel KC QB 53 89 59.6 29.7 458 5.1 152.7 5 2 24 27.0 43 4 1 10 82.5
30 Chad Pennington MIA QB 51 74 68.9 24.7 413 5.6 137.7 1 2 27 36.5 21 3 0 6 76.0
31 Brady Quinn CLE QB 45 74 60.8 24.7 400 5.4 133.3 1 3 21 28.4 26T 3 0 10 62.9
32 Derek Anderson CLE QB 37 67 55.2 33.5 361 5.4 180.5 1 4 20 29.9 30 5 0 3 50.7
33 Marc Bulger STL QB 35 68 51.5 22.7 339 5.0 113.0 1 0 17 25.0 45 2 1 5 70.6

Look at the names below our boy Hill. With the exception of Favre and Ryan, I wouldn't want to be listed anywhere near those chumps.

I'm confused. You listed a bunch of Stats. Hill, Favre and Ryan have the best QB rating, the rest have terrible QB ratings. Where is the comparison? Hill compares to Favre and Ryan while Bulger compares to A. Smith's career passer rating (Bulger's is higher actually). What numbers are you comparing? I do data analysis, but can't figure these numbers out...
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
My biggest problem is not so much his lack of yards, but his inability to convert on 3rd down. That has to improve if we hope to compete with the upper echelon of the NFL. The onus on that falls on Hill. I don’t care if it is 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 10; he is the one that should be making things happen. The good/great QBs have a tendency to do just that.

I also just have to say that I find it amusing as well the hypocrisy regarding Hill and Smith. Reality is that Hills numbers are not much better then Smiths in 06. I am not saying that Smith should be our starter nor am I hating on Hill, I am only pointing out that their production is very similar. The only thing that Hill does better so far is protecting the ball, though perhaps that is because he rarely goes down the field.

He is one of the best QBs in the legue on 3rd downs. He had a rough 3rd down outing against the Vikes, but outside of that he's shined on 3rd downs. Look up the stats, or rewatch the games.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
LOL... this never ends

The only questions to ask...

Have the 49ers as a team been playing much better football defensively? I think we can all agree that the answer is a big YES.

the one of pure debate is...

Could Alex do AS well or better than Shaun Hill is currently doing? With THAT defense, I'd honestly think YES... but it's impossible to know for sure... and it is what it is. So we should just enjoy the WINS... hope for the best... and let things play out. Hill isn't playing great football, but he's doing enough. I suspect that some people are less happy because they feel the wrong QB is under center and learning as he goes. That is fine, but at least be happy that the team is winning, and Hill is doing "okay" as the starter. It's ugly... it's often boring... but it's somehow working, and we ALL want wins.

I'm happy that we're 3-1. A fan that is not happy with a winning record is not a fan.

But I cannot be happy with a "Game Manager" at QB. Any one of our QBs' could do that. To suggest otherwise is myopic at best.

~Ceadder

Here is your logic.

Smith looses a game. "Yeh, well Hill would have lost it as well"
Hill wins a game. "Yeh, well Smith could have won this game as well"

Hill is 10-4 as a starter. If Smith could do this why didn't he? Why didn't he even come close? I know this team is better than before (mostly because we finally have a QB who doesn't turn it over more than he puts in in the endzone...I believe this stat is a FACT). I like FACTS. Lets try some:

-QB rating: Hill>>>>Smith
-TD/INT ratio: Hill>>>>Smith
-Record: Hill>>>>Smith

Just trying to list some FACTS, sorry if they interfere with your logic
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by jcs:
You guys realize hill is in the top 10 in QB rating, tied for top 10 in TD passes and has more yards per attempt than Tom Brady and a higher completion percentage than Brady, Romo, Sanchez, A.Rodgers, Palmer and P.Rivers. Oh yeah and he's 3-1 this year. Now if he only had some real NFL quality WR's to throw to....

He has NFL quality receivers to throw to... they just don't use them.

Now, if he only had an NFL quality offensive line to block for him...

Where?

Morgan might not make a #4 WR on a team with good WR's like New England and Bruce is ancient. Hill is an NFL spare, so who????

Davis is the only threat we have in the passing game.
I can't stand how Shaun Hill bends over in defeat or cringes when he feels the pressure around him. He responds in this manner rather than trying to get away from the pile caving in on him. He needs to toughen up!
You guys realize hill is in the top 10 in QB rating, tied for top 10 in TD passes and has more yards per attempt than Tom Brady and a higher completion percentage than Brady, Romo, Sanchez, A.Rodgers, Palmer and P.Rivers. Oh yeah and he's 3-1 this year. Now if he only had some real NFL quality WR's to throw to....

Where?

Morgan might not make a #4 WR on a team with good WR's like New England and Bruce is ancient. Hill is an NFL spare, so who????

When recievers running deep can catch a ball dropped right over their shoulders into the hands...maybe then we can call them "quality" receivers.

Dropping those passes when you are an unproven late round draft pick = just another guy filling in until they get a real quaility receiver in there.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
LOL... this never ends

The only questions to ask...

Have the 49ers as a team been playing much better football defensively? I think we can all agree that the answer is a big YES.

the one of pure debate is...

Could Alex do AS well or better than Shaun Hill is currently doing? With THAT defense, I'd honestly think YES... but it's impossible to know for sure... and it is what it is. So we should just enjoy the WINS... hope for the best... and let things play out. Hill isn't playing great football, but he's doing enough. I suspect that some people are less happy because they feel the wrong QB is under center and learning as he goes. That is fine, but at least be happy that the team is winning, and Hill is doing "okay" as the starter. It's ugly... it's often boring... but it's somehow working, and we ALL want wins.

I'm happy that we're 3-1. A fan that is not happy with a winning record is not a fan.

But I cannot be happy with a "Game Manager" at QB. Any one of our QBs' could do that. To suggest otherwise is myopic at best.

~Ceadder

Here is your logic.

Smith looses a game. "Yeh, well Hill would have lost it as well"
Hill wins a game. "Yeh, well Smith could have won this game as well"

Hill is 10-4 as a starter. If Smith could do this why didn't he? Why didn't he even come close? I know this team is better than before (mostly because we finally have a QB who doesn't turn it over more than he puts in in the endzone...I believe this stat is a FACT). I like FACTS. Lets try some:

-QB rating: Hill>>>>Smith
-TD/INT ratio: Hill>>>>Smith
-Record: Hill>>>>Smith

Just trying to list some FACTS, sorry if they interfere with your logic

Gist of the matter is this...

HILL IS A FREAKING BACKUP QB, WHO IS BENIFITTING FROM OUR RUN ORIENTED OFFENSE AND HAVING A SOLID DEFENSE TO PULL HIS LUCKY @$$ OUT OF THE FIRE.

QUIT TURNING THIS INTO "HILL IS BETTER THAN SMITH, OR SMITH IS BETTER THAN HILL". THAT IS NOT THE FREAKING ISSUE TO BEGIN WITH!!!

I CANNOT SEE HOW I CAN MAKE THIS ANY PLAINER THAN THAT.

I don't hate the guy but it fast getting that way when unknowledgeable posters bust my balls over such a simple thought process.

Hill < whale excrement on the bottom of the ocean so far as I am now concerned. If that means that Smith is too, so f'n be it. I'm tired of people with subpar reading skills telling me what my agenda is when they have no f'n idea other than what I've stated time and again. We have THREE QBs' on this team. Hill cannot be the best can he? It's MY opinion that HELL NO he isn't.

And to answer your question about Smith? You ALREADY know why. But here it is.

MISHANDLED

4 OCs'... well 3 and a Defensive QB coach turned OC, in 4 years.

Subpar OLine that got him KILLED and squashed by that fat f*ck Rocky Bernard(Thanks to Heitman who didn't even lay a mitt on him) and even then returned to play on a shoulder that for all intents and purposes was hanging on with nothing more than duct tape and dental floss.

A constantly changing WR corps with no. 3 and 4 Receivers playing in Starting roles. Only Battle being the most consistent of the bunch.

Should I go on? I can you know. You tell me that Hill has better stats? No $4|t? Put Hill in the SAME circumstances that Smith had to endure and I guarantee you that Bernard woulda KILLED the man.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 6, 2009 at 02:23:17 ]

Where?

THAT'S BULL$4|T!!!

Hill made due with those guys last season and Bruce is the guy that Hill forces passes to when he's not open. I'm tired of people down grading every unit around him.

Until the last game the Line was just fine. Is it the greatest? No. But it was opening holes for Gore quite well and it was keeping the Opposing Defense off the QB consistently. Against the Rams they, well they fell apart. But that's one of 4 games.

The WR corps is the SAME one he had last season. If they aren't producing well there is a REASON for that. And you can't blame it all on them. He focuses on Bruce when he is under pressure. Opposing Defenses know this so they will start doubling Bruce when they blitz and then are gonna jam our younger WRs' at the LoS. Essentially it's like pitching a fast ball constantly down and in to the same spot over and over and over. Eventually someone is going to wise up and knock the cover off it. That's our boy Hill. He's going to keep doing it over and over and over...

I'm absofrigginlutely fed up with all the excuses. The fact is that everything around Hill is TEN times better than when Smith was under Center. There is NO excuse because essentially nothing has changed for Hill.

If that was Smith under Center with the SAME results people would be ripping their hair out at the roots and calling for the mans head on a pike. Instead it's Hill their fairhaired kid and they are so gaga over him they are dismissing the problems out of hand.

~Ceadder
@ all you people that continue to compare Hill and Smith, they were in completely different situations and still some of you people bash Smith for not performing when the team he was playing on was not nearly as coherent as the team we are fielding now. Only shortsightedness could possibly excuse this, or complete lack of football knowledge. I applaud Hill for not turning the ball over, but the Hillexcuses for the reason the offense is not clicking are hypocritical coming from people who would be bashing Smith if his numbers were comparable. Up to this point, I think that any of our QB's could "manage" the game just as good as Hill has.

I'm not getting into the whoke Hill vs Smith debate because they are 2 different QBs who have played in 2 different situations. I wanted Smith to be our starter this year.

With that said, I'm happy with Hill. He's not a gunslinger so he doesnt turn the ball over. He fits this offense perfectly. Hill is playing great football right now.
Mostly, yes. He's taken good care of the ball...on the other hand, he's been sacked too many times, not all of those the OL's fault. On a roster with three good QB's, he'd be a b/u. If Nate Davis wins the job next year, he'd be a good b/u to him. For now, he's our starter...and wobbly/ugly passes at times or not, he's got good leadership abilities and the offense responds to him. For now, that's enough. Next year, Davis will likely make a strong push for the starting job...so whatever experience Shaun gets this season makes him stronger to be the #2 guy next year. Another factor now...Raye hasn't really opened up the passing game much yet. Singletary will want to do that, so this would be a good question to ask again say mid-season.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Shaun Hill vs Rams: 2 TD passes, 0 turnovers.

I'll take that every week, thank you. Dude is a winner.

I believe thay's spelled, Dude is a weiner
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Of the two players below, which would you rather have Quarterbacking the 49ers?

Player A - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 50 of 75 (66.6%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 705 Yards
Player B - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 52 of 82 (63.4%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 548 Yards

Answer: JT O'Sullivan played incredible well through three games last year. I'm not comparing Hill to O'Sullivan, but it's far too early to judge Hill.

Too early? Two years ago, when the 49ers were in an endless, Detroit Lions-like losing spree with no end in sight, guess who goes 2-0 the as a starter? Last year, when the 49ers were back again to floundering about like the St. Louis Lambs giving the ball away like it was condoms at a Rave party, guess what QB had a winning record? And now rhis season they're 3-1 and could have been undefeated.

That's 3 separate years getting the job done...how much more time do you want?

After watching the Packers -Vikings game it's pretty clear to me how woefully inadequate Hill is , if your QB can't throw , it doesn't matter how many intangibles he's supposed to have IMO the first thing to check would be can he throw

ps 13 game career so far, not very long to make him the next great qb IMO

Hill has as much to do with our 3-1 record as our D.

Hill has done little to win these games in fact constant three and outs have put way more work on the D .IMO
Yes I am happy with S. Hill's performance. Hill will only get better with more playing time as he seems to improve with every game. Hill put that deep ball right in Morgan's hands and it would have been an easy TD if Morgan didn't drop the ball. Everyone is talking about Hill's noodle arm but this past game he showed that he has what it takes to go deep, now he just needs the right WR's to go out and make the catch.
Share 49ersWebzone