LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Would you let Sopoaga go to Samoa?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you let Sopoaga go to Samoa?

Samoa is reeling from the earthquake and tidal wave. Sopoaga has not been able to directly contact any members of his family, but has learned from third parties that some of his family is in a hospital. How can this guy possibly be focussed on football with such family tragedy half a world away?

[ Edited by jimbagg on Oct 2, 2009 at 15:29:20 ]
nope
let the man go. Family is far more important than playing a backyard game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yes family supercedes a job.
I don't know how this is even a poll..?

-9fA
He is a man, and it is his decision alone to make. So if he makes that decision, the team should respect that and give him support.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I don't know how this is even a poll..?

-9fA

~Ceadder
in the end the NFL is a particularly tough buisness. It is tough for a player to focus when such tragedy happens, yet he is far more capable helping financially then he would by being there physically. Fortunately Ice gets paid handsomely and he could do more with his than he could by being there.... Yet I would say give him 2 weeks off game before the bye and bye week. than get yo ass back in camp and FIGHT/PLAY FOR SAMOA! Spread the word through the game and watch it unfold.
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes family supercedes a job.
If he thought he could do some good . . . absolutely. But at this point it's probably best that anyone other than relief workers stay away.

Originally posted by djfullshred:
He is a man, and it is his decision alone to make. So if he makes that decision, the team should respect that and give him support.

I absolutely agree with your comment.

I posted this poll only to personalize what Sopoaga must be going through this week. My hopes and prayers are with him and his family. Jut thought that a little more Webzone focus on what really matters might be a good thing (rather than one more thread about Crabtree, Hill v Smith, or finding blame for the Favre-Lewis play in Minnesota).
Oy, imagine this turning into another Angel Villalona case
Even If we were about to play the superbowl I say let the man go is his family we are talkimg about here.
I don't think the 49ers are obligated to let him leave.

How would this work in a regular job? You would have to use some of your PTO right? Getting the short notice permission is a given but you lose out on PTO.

Is there anything like that in the NFL?

Without me knowing the details of how this works I think the starting point is acknowledging that Soap is getting paid to do a job
Originally posted by RonMexico:
nope

Nope? Please, first off that is a big man.....if he wants to go.....he goes. Second he is a grown man, you don't "LET" him do anything. Family is first, not football.
Share 49ersWebzone