LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

Is there any way Patrick Willis won't be the highest paid defensive player?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Mex49
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Joecool:
MLB are like running backs, it's difficult to find an elite MLB, but like a 1000 yard rusher, it isn't difficult to find a 100+ tackler.

OLB or pass rusher is like a WR. It's difficult to find even a 1000 yarder as it is to find a 8-10 sacker.

very true. I got food thrown at me when I say it is just good ole Niner luck that our 2 elite players are at traditionally easy positions to fill with hordes of good players. HB and MLB. If I got to pick where our 2 super stars would be I would not have picked HB and MLB

Sooo true.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Why would he be the highest paid defensive player...? He's an ILB. The true difference makers like DE, OLB in the 3 - 4 and CB should be the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Him and his agent are dreaming like CrapTREE if they think he will be the highest paid player. He will be high paid sure but he doesn't provide 22 sacks a year or something. He'a an ILB.

Wasn't Ray Lewis the highest paid D player at one time? Am I trippin'?

No way he should be the highest paid defensive player. I don't know about Ray Lewis and don't care. Demarcus Ware and Shaun Merriman (when healthy) have a much bigger impact on the game. The CB's from the Jets and Raiders might have just as big of an impact or bigger.

His contribution is overly stated because this is a homer 49er page. I'd trade him straight up for Demarcus Ware right now. A guy who can provide 20 + sacks is the true difference maker.

Now you're trippin, but I expect no less, so I'll just at all of this.

You seriously wouldn't want Ware or a 100% healthy Merriman over and above Willis?

Isn't Merriman healthy this year? Isn't Ware healthy this year too? How are they doing so far?

I would seriously take Willis over any defensive football player in the league barnone.
nope...demarcus ware will win that honor
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
MLB are like running backs, it's difficult to find an elite MLB, but like a 1000 yard rusher, it isn't difficult to find a 100+ tackler.

OLB or pass rusher is like a WR. It's difficult to find even a 1000 yarder as it is to find a 8-10 sacker.

very true. I got food thrown at me when I say it is just good ole Niner luck that our 2 elite players are at traditionally easy positions to fill with hordes of good players. HB and MLB. If I got to pick where our 2 super stars would be I would not have picked HB and MLB

*throws a Crabtree endorsed Subway sandwich at you*

ha ha, don't get me started with Subway, I am boycotting those fools

Yeah well I was at the Subway in Fort Wayne a few weeks back (I actually live close to Ft Wayne) and while the chick behind the counter was making my sandwich Eugene Parker in the flesh walked in and she stopped making mine so she could make him "the usual"....Can't believe they allowed him to cut in front of me however he was kind enough to take this picture with me

Of course Subway's lighting is so bad that you can't tell it's me

*throws a Crabtree endorsed Subway sandwich at you*

ha ha, don't get me started with Subway, I am boycotting those fools

Yeah well I was at the Subway in Fort Wayne a few weeks back (I actually live close to Ft Wayne) and while the chick behind the counter was making my sandwich Eugene Parker in the flesh walked in and she stopped making mine so she could make him "the usual"....Can't believe they allowed him to cut in front of me however he was kind enough to take this picture with me

Of course Subway's lighting is so bad that you can't tell it's me

thats nuts man.
I think we'll easily make him the highest paid MLB in the league, but I don't think that will make him the highest paid defensive player in the league.

Isn't Asomugh (sp?) making 15 mil a season now? I don't think Willis will come close to that.
make him the highest paid MLB. get out his way and let him go snipe somebody..that it thats all they gotta do
no. We paid Clements crazy money, I expect Willis to get even crazier money.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Highest paid MLB? Certainly. I don't know about the wisdom of paying a MLB $9-$10M/yr.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
no. We paid Clements crazy money, I expect Willis to get even crazier money.

ILB dont get crazy money.

Ray Lewis got a 7 year/44.5 mil contract. thats like half the money Clements got.

like i said, if you dont rush the passer, and you arent a shutdown cb, you WILL NOT get elite money as a defensive player. ILB are underrated performers, but tackles just dont bring in the big bucks.

Willis might be the best defensive player in football, but he wont even get near Nate Clements money.

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Maybe if the 49ers sign Jesus he wont

[modded]

c'mon, really ?
no
Why would he be the highest paid defensive player...? He's an ILB. The true difference makers like DE, OLB in the 3 - 4 and CB should be the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Him and his agent are dreaming like CrapTREE if they think he will be the highest paid player. He will be high paid sure but he doesn't provide 22 sacks a year or something. He'a an ILB.

No way he should be the highest paid defensive player. I don't know about Ray Lewis and don't care. Demarcus Ware and Shaun Merriman (when healthy) have a much bigger impact on the game. The CB's from the Jets and Raiders might have just as big of an impact or bigger.

His contribution is overly stated because this is a homer 49er page. I'd trade him straight up for Demarcus Ware right now. A guy who can provide 20 + sacks is the true difference maker.
doesn't ware have the same amount of sacks as ray mcdonald so far this year??
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:

doesn't ware have the same amount of sacks as ray mcdonald so far this year??

oh wait ware doesn't even have a sack this year.... my bad.....

[ Edited by TexasNiner84 on Oct 1, 2009 at 18:40:19 ]
I would be suprised or shocked even if he becomes the highest paid defensive player.
There are just some really bad and shockingly insane contracts out there.
Share 49ersWebzone