LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

How is this any different from a loss under Nolan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
As for the Defense, they are playing faster but what is it that allows a Defense to play faster? Could it be the better understanding of a simpler Defense or did they actually slack off last year?

The defense improved dramatically in the second half of last year under Singletary.
The difference is unlike Nolan, Singletary will not throw his players under the bus. I think the biggest reason why our #1 pick QB hasn't panned out is because of the way Coach Asshat handled him. I mean how is a team supposed to become a team when the head coach is handling things like Nolan handled the Smith injury? How do you think it makes the other players feel if one of the high draft picks gets treated the way that Nolan treated Smith, do you think it inspires confidence in the coach? I think not. The biggest difference in this team is that they are a family, the believe in each other and play for each other, something that I do not think was happening when Nolan was here.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
A 49er team down 10-0 on the road against a good team would have folded and have been blown out. It is clear that Singletary has this team fighting. The difference could not be more clear.

It isn't hard to see the difference if you're paying attention.

Shaun Hill won games under Nolan also. Nolan kept playing sorry QBs and that's the biggest difference.

It wasn't because of Singletary why we have been in it these three games, it has been a lot to do with key drives from our QB.

Let's see, OL is doing the same old thing. Our defensive personnel is the same except for Goldson and Manny Lawson being on the field. Nolan's man, Roman still lost us the game.

The philosophy is the same.

QB is the main difference.

Right, it's all Shaun Hill. He is the savior, his eminence.

I will beg to differ. The main difference is that the players believe they can and will win. The major difference under Singletary has nothing to do with a noodle arm
QB. It's the defense that can get off the field. If you call 0-13 in 3rd down conversions the main difference in a positive way, then yes, Hill is the difference.

The first time the 49ers have a QB on the roster that has a decent arm, and a brain between those ears, Hill will become expendable. Right now, we don't have that because the only other QB on the roster with a brain is a rookie.

We've been 2-1 before. It's not that special. We have also been using the same philosophy before, run, run, run/maybe pass with 7 yards or more to go putting the OL and QB in a difficult situation.

Let's see how we are in week 8 and let's hope adjustments are made on the offense before week 8. Don't forget, we are 10-3 with Hill as a starter. He has helped Nolan and Singletary win without making mistakes and doing what is asked of him.

I'm not buying just yet. The defense is playing better but that's only natural since they know this system inside and out.

You seriously believe that the defense is only playing better because they know the system? Does that reasoning apply to all teams? If that's the case, what is Carolina's problem?

This is not the same 2-1 team from 2007.

I agree that adjustments need to be made and that they need to trust Hill more. But last week's game should show you that this is not the same team. When did the Niners ever come back from from 10-0 deficit on the road against a playoff team under Nolan?

If anything this inability to go for the kill reminds me more of Marriucci than it does Nolan.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
As for the Defense, they are playing faster but what is it that allows a Defense to play faster? Could it be the better understanding of a simpler Defense or did they actually slack off last year?

The defense improved dramatically in the second half of last year under Singletary.

They did this before in 2007 and in 2006 after late season adjustments in personnel and we switched to a primarily 4 man line.

I just think it's about simplifying the roles and letting the players play.
Originally posted by area49:
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.
NO COMPARISON! True that the last few plays of trying to run the ball to kill the clock were bonehead calls. BUT ... If Nolan were coaching, would YOU have had any confidence that they had a chance of winning the game?

I'll bet that going into this Vikings game, most fans were pretty confident that they had a good chance of winning the game! With the exception of ONE Lucky throw, they would have been right!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:10 PM ]
I'm not trying to be negative, but we lost because of conservative play calling, inability to convert on third down, and lack of pass rush. Sure, we lead for some time, but in the end, we choked and threw the game away. We played not to lose instead of playing to win. Now, we're trying to console ourselves by saying "we played with heart" and "Singletary's got it under control" and by pointing out a few supportive things people in the media have said.

I just can't help but feel that, if Nolan were in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

This is a terrible post. The team is preparing better, performing better, much more disciplined and is headed into the right direction. Nolan never prepared the teams to play because himself wasn't even prepared to coach. If you can't see the difference in this team and a Nolan not coached team than I think you'd better pay closer attention.

Go Niners!!
The only time this team looked even remotely like a Nolan coached team was in the last minute & a half.

That's when we played soft defense and Mark Roman gave up a TD.

The rest of the time our team looked nothing like it did under Nolan.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

This is a terrible post. The team is preparing better, performing better, much more disciplined and is headed into the right direction. Nolan never prepared the teams to play because himself wasn't even prepared to coach. If you can't see the difference in this team and a Nolan not coached team than I think you'd better pay closer attention.

Go Niners!!

i agree, that was a horrible post
Originally posted by Overkill:
The only time this team looked even remotely like a Nolan coached team was in the last minute & a half.

That's when we played soft defense and Mark Roman gave up a TD.

The rest of the time our team looked nothing like it did under Nolan.

I don't think the 49ers played a soft defense. Brett just made something out of nothing like he has done so often in his career. We were coming after him like mad and he pulled that throw out of his arse lol. He made that play happen with his feet and his arm.

Go Niners!!
Under the nolan regime, it would have been 27-10 in the fourth quarter. They would be playing loose defense and we would get two lucky touchdowns in the fourth, fail at an onside kick, and watch favre kneel his way to victory.

This was one of the worse lost in niner history. This was all on sing. Why u would give favre not 1 but 2 chances is beyond me. We cant even burn the clock with 5 minutes left. How f**kin pathetic. Then when we got the ball back we cant even burn 1:49 off the clock to seal the game. Instead we punt n give favre another chance. How f**kin stupid r u singletary? R u that f**kin pathetic? U f**kin a*****e. Robbing us of a victory when all we had to do was get a couple first downs. Instead of at least trying to get a first down u run the ball 3 straight times up the middle. At least try u f**kin p***y ass singlef**ker. Try to get a first down. Enough with this p***y ass play calling
Run the ball smashmouth crap. When we pass the ball we were pretty good. I know we could of had a couple first downs if we really wanted to. Instead, we sat on the ball trying to f**kin protect it. I will never forgive u singletary for this until u win a superbowl. N u too jimmy piece of crap raye. No good for nothing wannabe offensive coordinator old ass motherf**ker. This lost will cost us more than just a game. It may cost us a playoff spot or a home field. Plus, it drains our players n fans emotionally, physically n psycologically. It will be hard to recover from. Two days later im still extremely piss. Im f**kin sick of losing. Get rid of that hill u built at the training facility if u gonna lose, otherwise its no f**kin good. I want wins n results. No more sit on the ball p***y ass offense. If u dont wanna win, dont be a coach. Go back to being a linebacker coach. Piece of crap.
Originally posted by NinersSF:

This was one of the worse lost in niner history. This was all on sing. Why u would give favre not 1 but 2 chances is beyond me. We cant even burn the clock with 5 minutes left. How f**kin pathetic. Then when we got the ball back we cant even burn 1:49 off the clock to seal the game. Instead we punt n give favre another chance. How f**kin stupid r u singletary? R u that f**kin pathetic? U f**kin a*****e. Robbing us of a victory when all we had to do was get a couple first downs. Instead of at least trying to get a first down u run the ball 3 straight times up the middle. At least try u f**kin p***y ass singlef**ker. Try to get a first down. Enough with this p***y ass play calling
Run the ball smashmouth crap. When we pass the ball we were pretty good. I know we could of had a couple first downs if we really wanted to. Instead, we sat on the ball trying to f**kin protect it. I will never forgive u singletary for this until u win a superbowl. N u too jimmy piece of crap raye. No good for nothing wannabe offensive coordinator old ass motherf**ker. This lost will cost us more than just a game. It may cost us a playoff spot or a home field. Plus, it drains our players n fans emotionally, physically n psycologically. It will be hard to recover from. Two days later im still extremely piss. Im f**kin sick of losing. Get rid of that hill u built at the training facility if u gonna lose, otherwise its no f**kin good. I want wins n results. No more sit on the ball p***y ass offense. If u dont wanna win, dont be a coach. Go back to being a linebacker coach. Piece of crap.

I'm unclear on how you feel.

No that, my friends, is a RANT!!!!
Blah, blah, blah, Roman f**ck** up. Blah, blah, Blah, Singletary f**ck** up.

Blah, blah, blah black sheep, have you any wool.

Just let me add, the guy has made a career out of 4th quarter comebacks and did it again.

C'mon . . . turn that frown upside down.
Share 49ersWebzone