There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who was the pass rusher

Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
there was another poster who blamed the loss on Justin Smith.

god i hate niner talk.

wait let me get this straight....We had a rusher just who was free and just run past the QB, and you think he didnt CONTRIBUTE to the loss? have you even seen the replay? he was clearly free, the way he missed that tackle was horrible

There are mannnnnnny reasons why we lost the game, prevent D, we ran 3 times in a row when the run wasnt working, the officiating, but all of that could have been avoided if he just made the tackle. thats what he gets paid to do, i love justin, be farve made him look like a fool, if you disagree with that and you your blind to the facts, its really better if you dont come to niner talk since you hate it so much
[ Edited by Daniel2778 on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM ]
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
[b]that ran right past farve on the last play? and how come noone is talking about him? he had a clear shot on him, and he just past right by him, it was pathetic. That by itself cost us the game

I don't think you've ever played defensive line in a football game before.

I have. Just once. Only once. And the coaches discovered that I had a knack for "bench player."[/b]
The coaches on my team gave me 15 snaps at defensive tackle. I remember just destroying the guy in front of me. It was like he wasn't even there. But, even then, I couldn't make the tackle.

I lacked the reactionary speed time it takes to come off of a block and actually hit a ballcarrier. Or, try to capture a QB that is on the move. That's even harder.

I'll never forget that scrimmage. For years I wondered why I just didn't hit that ballcarrier who was two to three steps away. It was only after talking with a LOT of other guys -- guys who had the same thing happen to them -- did I realize that it takes a degree of talent to play a lineman's position. Not everyone has the reactionary speed it takes to shed a block and make a tackle. It might look easy. It's not. Trust me. You're either born with that kind of reactionary, decision-making ability or you don't have it. You can't learn it.

Keep in mind, this was high school football. Can you imagine the talent and speed it takes to play in The Show that is NFL Football?

So -- yes -- Farve very easily could have stepped up and avoided even a great player like Justin Smith. That's exactly what he did.

The rest is history.

Move on.

ok al bundy
lolol, im just messing with you
[ Edited by Daniel2778 on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
there was another poster who blamed the loss on Justin Smith.

god i hate niner talk.

wait let me get this straight....We had a rusher just who was free and just run past the QB, and you think he didnt CONTRIBUTE to the loss? have you even seen the replay? he was clearly free, the way he missed that tackle was horrible

There are mannnnnnny reasons why we lost the game, prevent D, we ran 3 times in a row when the run wasnt working, the officiating, but all of that could have been avoided if he just made the tackle. thats what he gets paid to do, i love justin, be farve made him look like a fool, if you disagree with that and you your blind to the facts, its really better if you dont come to niner talk since you hate it so much

Have you seen the play? Smith wasn't free he was running around a blocker. Favre just had to step up in the pocket to avoid the sack. And that is what he did. Smith did all he could. Don't blame him blame Roman for being out of position and the BS defensive play calling. The one that seems blind to the facts are you.
you guyz leave my boy Justin Smith alone

one of our hardest working players!

and it seemed like the Vikes knew that stunt was coming..... man we used that thing the previous 2 weeks and this week the Vikes were ready for it.... the RB did a good job of staying disciplined and waited for Justin to come around... I was just surprised that Justin was still able to get close to Farvra......we need to blitz a corner on that same side and do the same stunt next time..

although I don't blame this other player..... he could have made a play...someone pointed it out a couple of days ago....but McDonald had a chance if he kept his engine running......he looked surprised that Farvra was still running around back there....maybe we should have put in some fresh players in when we had a chance.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
you guyz leave my boy Justin Smith alone

one of our hardest working players!

and it seemed like the Vikes knew that stunt was coming..... man we used that thing the previous 2 weeks and this week the Vikes were ready for it.... the RB did a good job of staying disciplined and waited for Justin to come around... I was just surprised that Justin was still able to get close to Farvra......we need to blitz a corner on that same side and do the same stunt next time..

although I don't blame this other player..... he could have made a play...someone pointed it out a couple of days ago....but McDonald had a chance if he kept his engine running......he looked surprised that Farvra was still running around back there....maybe we should have put in some fresh players in when we had a chance.

he did give up. dead tired probably.
Well I was the one who made the post about Justin Smith missing the tackle on game day but I don't know why people think I blamed the loss on him lol, unless there was another poster that did. All I got was replies about how Justin Smith is good and how I don't know what I'm talking about, obviously people who didn't bother to watch the play in full detail.

Justin Smith was blocked by Chester f**king Taylor of all blockers, managed to get around him and just dove at Favre. I mean, understand that our pass rushers were probably running on fumes at the time but it seemed like they just didn't want to sprint through the finish line and in the end it came back to bite us in the butt. Obviously there are other players that didn't contribute enough in the end but I made the post after the game as I was upset with the lost.

We're all over it now, no one blamed Justin Smith and you've all seen the play to acknowledge that Justin Smith came close to Favre at the end. No point in crying over spilt milk, lets move on to week 4.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
man, i honestly thought SOMEONE was gonna sack him on that play. Not once did I think they'd score a TD. Someone hold me.

[/quote

U R so awesome and caring.
[ Edited by Giant9er on Sep 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM ]
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giant9er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
man, i honestly thought SOMEONE was gonna sack him on that play. Not once did I think they'd score a TD. Someone hold me.

[/quote

U R so awesome and caring.

I think i know what you said before you edited that out
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by SFBlue:
I too was claiming victory just a tad too early. Never again!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude!! I did something I will never do again... I got up during Favres game winning drive and declared to my gf that I was "getting my victory beer ready". I poured it, and even took a sip seconds before Favre's TD throw. Premature? YES.

lol. I sent a voice recording via blackberry messenger to all my friends that simply said. "WOOOO HOOOOOO 3-0 BABY!", next thing I know, 3 and out, Favre driving down the field. After the TD, got a bunch of "LOL" messages.

Yo yo yo, Syber, I love you and all, but Mark Roman had the worst fail of...

No I'm not even going to continue that really was the worst fail of all time. LOL

I didn't watch replays, but I didn't leave with the impression that Roman screwed up. I left with the impression that it was a one in a million situation (diametric opposite of the perfect storm, whatever you want to call that).... you give Farve 20 downs from that spot and he couldn't have replicated that throw/catch.
Im shocked that nobody is blaming Mark Roman. the "HATED by the Webzone" Mark Roman, who had the opportunity to take advantage of the new pushout rule, but didnt do so.

Lewis was so close to having his first foot touch out of bounds, a slight nudge backwards would have made the play incomplete. roman was on him tight. he had his arm across. you can see there was a point where the ball hit Lewis in the hands, and both feet were airborne, and Roman could have shoved him out, but he was too concerned about the coverage.

obviously its hard to fault a guy for nice coverage in the back of the endzone, because the pass was undefendable. but i just feel like a more fundamentally sound DB would have tried to push him out.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Im shocked that nobody is blaming Mark Roman. the "HATED by the Webzone" Mark Roman, who had the opportunity to take advantage of the new pushout rule, but didnt do so.

Lewis was so close to having his first foot touch out of bounds, a slight nudge backwards would have made the play incomplete. roman was on him tight. he had his arm across. you can see there was a point where the ball hit Lewis in the hands, and both feet were airborne, and Roman could have shoved him out, but he was too concerned about the coverage.

obviously its hard to fault a guy for nice coverage in the back of the endzone, because the pass was undefendable. but i just feel like a more fundamentally sound DB would have tried to push him out.

Have you not been paying attention? There are a lot of people who are blaming Roman. He is the one that failed to do his job. How does one have good coverage and be completely out of place to make a play on the ball? the guy is a bum and needs to be cut. he has cost this team to many games with his garbage play.
Originally posted by backontop:

Have you not been paying attention? There are a lot of people who are blaming Roman. He is the one that failed to do his job. How does one have good coverage and be completely out of place to make a play on the ball? the guy is a bum and needs to be cut. he has cost this team to many games with his garbage play.

i agree he isnt very good, but his fault on that play was not pushing Lewis out the back. he had him covered well. you cant fault Roman for Favre throwing an impossibly accurate ball. he put it only where Lewis could get it, and because he wasnt pushed out, he got his toes in.

you can blame roman, but at least blame him for the right thing. he actually had good coverage on him.
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by backontop:

i agree he isnt very good, but his fault on that play was not pushing Lewis out the back. he had him covered well. you cant fault Roman for Favre throwing an impossibly accurate ball. he put it only where Lewis could get it, and because he wasnt pushed out, he got his toes in.

you can blame roman, but at least blame him for the right thing. he actually had good coverage on him.

No but I can blame Roman for being out of position and letting the WR behind him. Good coverage isn't a WR running past you. Good coverage is putting yourself in position to make a play on the ball, and Roman was nowhere near being in a position to make a play on the ball. Part of being a DB isn't to push a WR out of bounds because you suck. If it comes to that then you need to get out of the NFL cause your not good enough to play in the pros.