LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

I am CONFUSED as to where the 49ers stand as a team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They currently stand 2-1, and are leading their division.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Vikings didn't beat us, we beat ourselves

Brett Favre begs to differ.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by kray28:
In today's talent diluted, "parity enhanced" NFL, 8-10 wins still means you're a "good team". If it's good enough to get you into the playoffs....you're a good team.

The NFL (like the NBA) needs to seriously consider contraction.

Get rid of 1-2 worthless teams in bad markets like Jacksonville or what not, and reconcentrate the talent in the league a bit.

That will only help for a minute. FA is what has killed dynasties not a diluted talent pool. The big bucks coercing players away from their teams is the real problem.

The talent is not diluted... there is a higher number of good players than ever before. In fact, I'd argue if it weren't for the economy EXPANSION would be a good option.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Niners are the Best in the NFC West, and are dangerous enough to beat anyone in the NFL.

That clear your mind?
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Niners are the Best in the NFC West, and are dangerous enough to beat anyone in the NFL.

That clear your mind?

Succinct, to the point.

Originally posted by Blitz:

That clear your mind?

Succinct, to the point.

And to add to that, they are a team that has the ability to force their will on any team they play. They took AP out of the game and forced Favre to make plays. The problem with that was that fact that we had Mark Roman on the field and lost the game because of that clown.
We may not be a great team but we are a play-off team, yesturday's game proved it, at least to me.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Vikings didn't beat us, we beat ourselves

Totally agree with this assessment!!!!!
Our team played well yesterday it was the vanilla coaching at the end that cost us the game I was expecially suprised at our front that was getting after Farve (ie Franklin). I really believe another playmaker on offense and we would be playoff material at this point our D can't carry us all year.
[ Edited by SF2AZNiner on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:48 PM ]
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
This is a good football team that is very physical. They did a good job yesterday after losing Gore. Every team they have played, they have beat up their offense. They outplayed a team that will likely go deep into the playoffs and only lost due to a crazy play by one of the game's greatest quarterbacks. If anything, after that game I feel the 9ers belong with being mentioned among the NFC's best.

I think the next two weeks will be good for the offense to work more on the pass with Gore out. I hope after the bye the 49ers have a more balanced attack. With the playoffs in mind, they need to preserve him. Obviously the play calling needs to get better. Not converting a third down was pretty bad.

Yesterday I saw a team that didn't panic like they would have over the last few years. Typically they would get down 10 and the wheels would fall off. that didn't happen yesterday and I have to say after the first quarter maybe until the blocked Kick i just felt like it was coming and it never did. This is a team I do believe in!
Originally posted by jmond09:
Yesterday I saw a team that didn't panic like they would have over the last few years. Typically they would get down 10 and the wheels would fall off. that didn't happen yesterday and I have to say after the first quarter maybe until the blocked Kick i just felt like it was coming and it never did. This is a team I do believe in!

I think that has a lot to do with the QB. Shaun Hill has shown everything EXCEPT panic.

As for the defense, Willis and Singletary has them ground.
  • MadManManny32
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Niners99:

That clear your mind?

this....
after seen what our team could do without gore against a top team.
imagine what they could do with him.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:
Every time I hear people like Chris Berman say "the 49ers played their hearts out," it gets me thinking.

Are the 49ers "overachieving" or are they really a good team?

Trent Dilfer, who in my opinion is a complete tool, says the 49ers are a good team that might win 9 or 10 games. Don't good teams win more than that?

I know what the 49ers need to become a great team, but hearing people speak you would think Samurai has the team winning games with the Cleveland Browns roster.

If coach is doing more with less, what does that say about McCloughan (who I don't think is a problem)?

How bad was this roster, that 5 years later, the 49ers are at best an 8-8/9-7 team?

As I said before (search the thread title "Why does everyone have a problem with Singletary/Raye's philosophy), it is a talent issue on offense. The 49ers have to play the way they do, because they don't have the talent to beat good/great teams straight up. Sure, Jimmy Raye could be more flexible, but he doesn't have Peyton Manning or the Giants OL.

NinerGM, pointed a flaw that is going to make it tough for the 49ers to be consistent on offense all year, the offensive line. I like many of the players there, and the front office has addressed it, but the OL sucks. They can't run or pass block consistently. That's the problem, not Hill, Raye, or the WRs.

Going forward, assuming Crabtree signs, I think the 49ers have the skill players to play with most teams, but to play this way, you have to have a dominant OL, and by playing a ball control type game, that limits possessions for the opponent, which means they're going to pass more to stay in the game.

I think Nate Davis stacks up with most of the highly touted QBs currently in college, so it's obvious where those 2 #1s should go next year.

The national pundits are saying what they're saying for 2 reasons...(1) the 49ers have had 6 straight losing seasons; and (2) they view Hill as a journeyman QB. Nationally, the 49ers players in general are viewed as "overachieving" because it is generally the same group of players that has failed to win. So, until they prove week in and week out that they're "for real," they are going to be looked at as overachievers.

Your comment that the 49ers have to play the way they do because they have less talent and can't play teams "straight-up" is confusing. The 49ers DO play teams straight-up. They may play teams more "straight-up" than any team in the NFL. It is straight at you, beat your man over 60 minutes football. They don't try to trick anyone. Their goal is just to out execute the other team. That is playing the other team straight-up. The Dolphins creating the "Wildcat offense" last year after starting 0-2 and running a bunch of trick plays is not playing the opponent straight-up. The 49ers dabble in the wildcat a little but 99% of the time they are probably the epitome of playing their opponent straight-up.

Hill isn't going to lose the perception that he's an overachieving journeyman QB until if/when he wins a SB and/or puts up big numbers and goes to the Pro Bowl a few times. Until he can prove otherwise, he is basically a younger version of Jeff Garcia in his 49er days.
We are a tough physical team with a lot of passion and heart. I believe that we have the talent on D to in the top 10 on D. Unfortunatly its the O that is going to cause problems for us. We just are not balanced enough we are very predictable and Gore has got no lanes to hit because IMO we have one of the worst lines in the NFL. Staly I love him but feel he is very overrated but he still is young. I love Eric he is a solid center. As for Chilo, Bass and Snyder they are not doint to well there big ? Marks. I'm not a big Shaun Hill supporter and I don't think he a very good QB BUT he is our starter and I sense that Sing and Raye don't trust him which is really bad you shouldn't have a player espically your QB on that field that you don't trust they have got to start trusting Hill or we will be in trouble. You can tell we have a rookie coach Spurlock over Hill?? That's not very smart and its hindering us even more. It doesn't make sense.I love this team but I believe we are a bit away from being a good team. I believe its going to come down to the wire for the top of the division with us and Arizona. Oh one more thing its not as bad as with Nolan but we need to play to win the game not go up and be conservative no more prevent and run run run when we need a first
Share 49ersWebzone