There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone who talks to Niners reporters or has access to the team.

Please remind them to tell their players that they can actually chuck and bump receivers in routes all they want when the QB is out of the pocket. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time now. When a QB leaves the pocket, our DBs still try to cover the receivers using the "no chuck" or "no contact" rule but they don't know that they can actually begin the contact.

"Note: Once the quarterback hands off or pitches the ball to a back, or if the quarterback leaves the pocket area, the restrictions (illegal chuck, illegal cut) on the defensive team relative to the offensive receivers will end, provided the ball is not in the air."


http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/useofhands


It doesn't seem like ANY team is aware of this. QBs flush out of the pocket all of the time and that actually makes it EASIER for DBs to cover because they can now hit their WR.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Please remind them to tell their players that they can actually chuck and bump receivers in routes all they want when the QB is out of the pocket. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time now. When a QB leaves the pocket, our DBs still try to cover the receivers using the "no chuck" or "no contact" rule but they don't know that they can actually begin the contact.

"Note: Once the quarterback hands off or pitches the ball to a back, or if the quarterback leaves the pocket area, the restrictions (illegal chuck, illegal cut) on the defensive team relative to the offensive receivers will end, provided the ball is not in the air."


http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/useofhands


It doesn't seem like ANY team is aware of this. QBs flush out of the pocket all of the time and that actually makes it EASIER for DBs to cover because they can now hit their WR.

This sound like the exception. When the ball is in the air the chuck rule still applies
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Please remind them to tell their players that they can actually chuck and bump receivers in routes all they want when the QB is out of the pocket. This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time now. When a QB leaves the pocket, our DBs still try to cover the receivers using the "no chuck" or "no contact" rule but they don't know that they can actually begin the contact.

"Note: Once the quarterback hands off or pitches the ball to a back, or if the quarterback leaves the pocket area, the restrictions (illegal chuck, illegal cut) on the defensive team relative to the offensive receivers will end, provided the ball is not in the air."


http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/useofhands


It doesn't seem like ANY team is aware of this. QBs flush out of the pocket all of the time and that actually makes it EASIER for DBs to cover because they can now hit their WR.

This sound like the exception. When the ball is in the air the chuck rule still applies

That's true, but if the QB is out of the pocket as was Favre and is running around back there, then your CBs need to knock their receivers on the ground or push them out of bounds and be ineligible.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM ]
actually the more painful thing is roman could've just shoved lewis out of bounds and not given him a chance to get his feet in

there is no force out rule in the nfl this year.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
actually the more painful thing is roman could've just shoved lewis out of bounds and not given him a chance to get his feet in

there is no force out rule in the nfl this year.

Roman could have just bumped him out of bounds or knocked him to the ground before Favre even threw the ball if the players knew the rules.
If a DB is covering a WR then he is most likely looking at the WR and is unaware that the QB has left the pocket. But then what if the QB didnt leave the pocket and you thought he did, then you get penalized. Its tough to watch everything and stick to a WR down field. Its damn near impossible.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
If a DB is covering a WR then he is most likely looking at the WR and is unaware that the QB has left the pocket. But then what if the QB didnt leave the pocket and you thought he did, then you get penalized. Its tough to watch everything and stick to a WR down field. Its damn near impossible.

When in a prevent defense, you are staying back and looking at the ball and if you see a QB running circles back there or sprint to the right, hit your WR.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,994
Originally posted by MadMartz:
If a DB is covering a WR then he is most likely looking at the WR and is unaware that the QB has left the pocket. But then what if the QB didnt leave the pocket and you thought he did, then you get penalized. Its tough to watch everything and stick to a WR down field. Its damn near impossible.

Acually if they were playing zone and they were. There is no reason to run with the reciever, he should have stayed in his zone and made a play for the ball.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by MadMartz:
If a DB is covering a WR then he is most likely looking at the WR and is unaware that the QB has left the pocket. But then what if the QB didnt leave the pocket and you thought he did, then you get penalized. Its tough to watch everything and stick to a WR down field. Its damn near impossible.

When in a prevent defense, you are staying back and looking at the ball and if you see a QB running circles back there or sprint to the right, hit your WR.

Roman wasnt covering a WR he was playing a zone. Lewis came from the opposite side of the field running a Drag route along the back of the endzone. We should have been blitzing and then Favre wouldnt have had the time to find his WR.
It's easier said than done, if the qb is out of the pocket running around it's normally for only a few seconds and by the time the DB realizes that i'm sure the ball is in the air already or he isn't in position to hit the WR (they're kind of fast). The risk reward for doing this (mistakingly seeing the QB out of the pocket, hence pass interference) is probably negative.

LB's on the other hand have there eyes glued to the QB so they could potentially take advantage of this rule, but then again most RB's and WR's are faster than LB's.(exception Willis and Lawson).

Like i said MUCH easier said then done, but could come in handy every once in awhile.
Not sure that I want to be too critical of Roman on that play. Hindsight is 20/20. It's pretty much the same thing I thought Roman should have done. Bumped the WR out of bound making it illegal touch for the WR. Or even at the point when the guys catches the ball, Roman could have bump him out cause the WR could barely get his feet in bound as is.

It would have been tough for Roman cause he was pretty much playing the ball and seeing where it's going. To expect him to jammed the WR out of bound ,to me, it would have been a hella play on his part if he could.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
No sure that I want to be too critical of Roman on that play. Hindsight is 20/20. It's pretty much the same thing I thought Roman should have done. Bumped the WR out of bound making it illegal touch for the WR. Or even at the point when the guys catches the ball, Roman could have bump him out cause the WR could barely get his feet in bound as is.

It would have been tough for Roman cause he was pretty much playing the ball and seeing where it's going. To expect him to jammed the WR out of bound ,to me, it would have been a hella play on his part if he could.

Roman just isn't good at judging balls.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
No sure that I want to be too critical of Roman on that play. Hindsight is 20/20. It's pretty much the same thing I thought Roman should have done. Bumped the WR out of bound making it illegal touch for the WR. Or even at the point when the guys catches the ball, Roman could have bump him out cause the WR could barely get his feet in bound as is.

It would have been tough for Roman cause he was pretty much playing the ball and seeing where it's going. To expect him to jammed the WR out of bound ,to me, it would have been a hella play on his part if he could.

Roman just isn't good at judging balls.

Roman just isn't good.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
actually the more painful thing is roman could've just shoved lewis out of bounds and not given him a chance to get his feet in

there is no force out rule in the nfl this year.

Thats exactly what i said too....
Originally posted by cooljon16:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
No sure that I want to be too critical of Roman on that play. Hindsight is 20/20. It's pretty much the same thing I thought Roman should have done. Bumped the WR out of bound making it illegal touch for the WR. Or even at the point when the guys catches the ball, Roman could have bump him out cause the WR could barely get his feet in bound as is.

It would have been tough for Roman cause he was pretty much playing the ball and seeing where it's going. To expect him to jammed the WR out of bound ,to me, it would have been a hella play on his part if he could.

Roman just isn't good at judging balls.

Roman just isn't good.

+1
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home