LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Kordell Stewart blaming Roman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Kordell Stewart, on ESPN FirstTake said that though Favre & Lewis made a great play, Mark Roman was out of position (letting the receiver get behind him), and blew it for the 49ers.

I think Roman sucks, but he had decent coverage...back of the end zone, between the QB & the receiver. Not sure I put the blame on hi, but he does still suck!
Roman also fell down in coverage on another play. I hate that guy so much....does he really help us out in Safety depth? More like a detriment.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
Aside form the fianl play yesterday, in which its 50/50 if it was Romans fault, in his bit part role so far this season he has actually done ok, put in some big hits and made a play with the sack yesterday.
It was a poor play call by Manusky. You need more people guarding the deep ball. Minnesota had 2 plays left what else were they going to do other than hurl into the endzone.

Roman is an easy scapegoat here. Sure he deserves some of the blame because he got beat, but the reality is he never should have been in a 1-1 situation right there.
Roman could have been in better position, but I put the blame on the defensive play calling moreso than any individual effort. The defense that was working all game was not that prevent defense we saw on the final drive. Favre will kill you on screens, slants, and outs to get into position to make a big play, and that is exactly what he did.

The Vikings put together a great drive, but they didnt do anything other than taking exactly what the D gave them. It was pathetic.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Roman was out of position. He should have been in his area more to the right and just covered his zone. He sould have been in a position to make a play on the ball and not trying to run with the reciever. I don't get why he is in on dime packages and Brown isn't.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
It was a poor play call by Manusky. You need more people guarding the deep ball. Minnesota had 2 plays left what else were they going to do other than hurl into the endzone.

Roman is an easy scapegoat here. Sure he deserves some of the blame because he got beat, but the reality is he never should have been in a 1-1 situation right there.

That's what I was thinking. Why did it appear that roman was really the only guy in the area to make a play. There should have been a few more guys around the ball batting it down. Instead Roman was the only guy even in the area and Goldson was more out of position than Roman was. The entire defensive unit failed not just Roman.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

That's what I was thinking. Why did it appear that roman was really the only guy in the area to make a play. There should have been a few more guys around the ball batting it down. Instead Roman was the only guy even in the area and Goldson was more out of position than Roman was. The entire defensive unit failed not just Roman.
No Goldson was in the right spot. He handed the reciever of to Roman and Roman got burnt because he tried to play man coverage and run to the reciever instead of waiting in his zone and looking for the ball. All he had to do was look for the ball, when he saw the throw he would have had 2 to 3 seconds to make a play for the ball, instead he was trying to cover the guy.
I think Justin Smith and the defensive line are to blame for not making the sack on that last play. Smith got a hand on Farve before the pass but couldn't get enough of him.

Its easy to blame Roman because he is viewed as a liability on the defense, while Smith is a great player and makes us better. But if he made that sack we would have won the game. Roman was in good position. Receiver just made an amazing play.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

That was a very small window into which Favre threw the ball, it's not like Roman was completely out of position. He left little room for Lewis to make that catch.

Brett Favre also eluded a potential sack from Justin Smith, if Smith gets his hands on Favre there he never would have made that throw.

Look at the replay. Roman is 10 yards deep in the endzone so he was playing zone and watched a 50 yard pass come straight at hime and he didn't make a play for the ball.

This is suppoesd to be our safety and he blew it plain and simple. The defense was correctly called, Roman failed to execute.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Look at the replay. Roman is 10 yards deep in the endzone so he was playing zone and watched a 50 yard pass come straight at hime and he didn't make a play for the ball.

This is suppoesd to be our safety and he blew it plain and simple. The defense was correctly called, Roman failed to execute.

This. He was not playing the ball at all, he was running with the reciever. He should have been watching and waiting for the ball to be released and then running to it. It took about 3 seconds for the ball to get there. That is alot of time to cover 5 to 10 feet if you are positioned right..
Originally posted by blm7754:
I think Justin Smith and the defensive line are to blame for not making the sack on that last play. Smith got a hand on Farve before the pass but couldn't get enough of him.

Its easy to blame Roman because he is viewed as a liability on the defense, while Smith is a great player and makes us better. But if he made that sack we would have won the game. Roman was in good position. Receiver just made an amazing play.

I wouldn't use the word blame, but Farve was given to much time.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
There is a "who is to blame" thread already.
Share 49ersWebzone