LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

Stop blaming Raye . . .

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Second and long: Fullback Dive.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Second and long: Fullback Dive.

raye bites and im sick and tired of this team hitting the breaks just because they take a 1 or 2 point lead. dammit you call plays in order to extend a lead not just to maintain your pitifull 2 point lead..................this blows
Actually, I kind of like the fullback in second and long. It was very Walshesque. It didn't work but it was a good thought.

Bottom line is we're fans and we're going to complain and whine about everything. I honestly think that if the offense put up 6 td's there would still be complaining on some level.

The offense has opened up a ton since Raye came in. I thought that is what everyone wanted? Shaun Hill passed the ball 150 times in the first 5 and a half games. Alex Smith has already passed the ball 50 times.

If anything the 49ers needed to run it more today. Gore only had 11 carries.

Anyways, continue complaining....
Raye's part of the problem...Singletary's part of the problem...McCloughan's part of the problem. It's not any one guy, per se, but the cumulative conservatism that's keeping our offense dull and predictable. Since that's not likely to change until at least Raye and Singletary are out of the picture, I'm advocating for Mike Shanahan to be the new head coach. He's pretty much his own OC, and given the defense is arguably a couple players from being elite, he could do that. Just think about how much better our O would be with him in charge...revamped OL, improved RB corps, utilizing ALL the skilled players we have.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
Actually, I kind of like the fullback in second and long. It was very Walshesque. It didn't work but it was a good thought.

Bottom line is we're fans and we're going to complain and whine about everything. I honestly think that if the offense put up 6 td's there would still be complaining on some level.

The offense has opened up a ton since Raye came in. I thought that is what everyone wanted? Shaun Hill passed the ball 150 times in the first 5 and a half games. Alex Smith has already passed the ball 50 times.

It's not about one play call, it's about the overall philosophy. We have success at the end of the 1st half passing the ball and the Colts secondary is banged up, so what do we do? We hide under a rock and run the ball, satisfied that 14 points is enough to beat Peyton Manning. We should've stayed aggressive. This team's strength is passing the ball, and specifically, spreading everyone out with multiple WRs to give Alex many options.

[ Edited by B650 on Nov 2, 2009 at 02:52:42 ]
Originally posted by B650:

It's not about one play call, it's about the overall philosophy. We have success at the end of the 1st half passing the ball and the Colts secondary is banged up, so what do we do? We hide under a rock and run the ball, satisfied that 14 points is enough to beat Peyton Manning. We should've stayed aggressive. This team's strength is passing the ball, and specifically, spreading everyone out with multiple WRs to give Alex many options.

I cant sort of understand running the ball. If you examine it they play a defense that can thrive if you turn the ball over or let freeney or mathis get a sack strip. The real weakness on their D was the run D. Not to mention we don't want to get into a shootout with the Colts.

But with that being said I would like to see a short passing game with the lead instead of just the run run pass punt gameplan. Just to keep them off balanced, especially with the big body guys we have catching the ball to get some YAC
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by B650:

I cant sort of understand running the ball. If you examine it they play a defense that can thrive if you turn the ball over or let freeney or mathis get a sack strip. The real weakness on their D was the run D. Not to mention we don't want to get into a shootout with the Colts.

But with that being said I would like to see a short passing game with the lead instead of just the run run pass punt gameplan. Just to keep them off balanced, especially with the big body guys we have catching the ball to get some YAC

I'm OK with running the ball, but look at the type of runs. They all seem to be the same play, just running it up the gut. How long will it take to realize that it doesn't work consistently? We might bust a 60-yarder every 2 or 3 games, but that's not good enough. I'd rather average 5 yards a pop consistently, than 2 yards a carry and an occasional big run, inflating the average. We just can't run the ball it seems, but when this happens, get creative. Do some reverses. Get the ball in Gore's hands with some screens. How about some draws? Pitches? How about spreading everyone out and run the ball? Do SOMETHING to prove you're not sleeping, Raye.

[ Edited by B650 on Nov 2, 2009 at 03:17:17 ]
I don't like Raye's playcalling because it's so predictable. I know if there's an incomplete pass on first down there will be a run on second down or a screen pass on on second and anything over 10 yards. The playcalling has got to get better and Alex Smith can't be so quick to take the checkdown pass. When you hold the Colts, especially the Colts to 18 points you're supposed to win. Manusky is used to beating the Colts because he was with the Chargers so defensive gameplan was right on but the offensive gameplan has been pitiful and it doesn't matter who the quarterback is.

I am surprised we don't punt on third down. That way we can be sure to not turn the ball over. In fact, given how dangerous handing off the ball is, maybe we should punt on first down. Teams would never expect that. I'm gonna send that in my fan mail to coach Raye. Oh wait, he and coach sing are probably talking about that right now with their pants down.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
Raye is a moron. Raye was the OC in Kansas City when the term "Marty Ball" was coined when he was with Schottenheimer. Does he really think he can get a lead on the Colts and just play conservative? You need to score a lot of points to beat the Colts. He got them out of rhythm in the two minute drive, then went back to I-Formation in the second half. Go with what works. After reading enough on this guy, I am surprised he was ever hired by this organization.
Who’s really to blame is it poor Jimmy Raye who’s doing what he was hired to do, Which at the time make this offense a more of a ball control run first run second and throw on third & short which is more suited to Hill’s strength & not Smith’s. Now Smith is in & we are still trying to run the same offensive plays, we can all see that when Smith is in the spread he is a whole lot better. Or do you blame the HC Sing for not letting Raye not only play more of a spread offense but just throw the dame ball more. We have at least 4 good wr on this team why can’t we use them all? Or do you blame the GM Scott? I blame him most of all, cause for Sing to tell Raye let it loose they need an offensive line. Let’s face facts the 49ers line sucks, they can’t run block, they can’t pass block, they can’t go out there & do anything right now consistently that’s why the 49ers lead the league in three & outs. That line will not hold up in a spread offense or throwing the ball as much as some of us want to see them throw. Hell if you take out Gore’s big runs this offense scores only one TD. To me this line has one good player & that’s Heitmann all the others are back ups on other teams. I’m sorry but their GM is the cause to this problem, he won’t pay for Guards, all he ever brings here are beat up players. Look at the last 2 tackles, just because he won’t pay offensive linemen. Get Smith & Gore AN OFFENSIVE LINE. This team has a good HC & the OC is ok, their defense is good enough to take the 49ers to the playoff. Until they fix the line the playoff is just a dream
Yup, we need to keep jimmy rae...awake, that is. His indecision in playcalling, then his frightful inability to make a decision which results in play getting in not just late, but frequently with 3 or 4 seconds on the clock ...all that is a non-starter. But i am in favor of keeping JRae, but only in a special circumstance. Let him work with alex during the week on game planning, but come game day, let's just keep JR under wraps. He, along with our last 7 OCs, have made all our qBs look disorganized by their unique inability to get the dang plays in on time...which usually results in a last moment, "21 up the middle"...gain of 1 yd.

If alex looks like he is lost, well...he is. He can't figure out why his OC cannot get one play into him with less than 10 seconds to go, and frequently with less than 5 or 6 secs. That is inexcusable, it is costing us at least 2 valuable Timeouts/ game, and worse, at least 2, maybe 3 delays of game penalties. When the play finally does come in, if it is incompatible with the D alignment, alex has no time to change it.

Which brings us to the helmet radio failure, when alex called his own plays, looked sharp in doing so, and makes me wonder, why isn't he just calling plays on his own. Certainly he would get to the line quicker and would have a chance(like Peyton) to make changes if needed at the line, and it would eliminate costly T.O.s, and delay of game changes...all of which have broken our back sometime during the last 3 games. You really think alex can't call a better game than jimmyRae? I'm sure he can, and obviously it would eliminate these bleeping Delay penalties, and having to call timeouts. That alone might just have won us 2 of the last 3 losses.

Finally, whether alex is allowed to call his own plays or not, he is obviously much, much better as a spread QB than under center. We should be capitalizing on that all game, instead of if the helmet radio fails, or it is 2 minute drills at end of game. JimmyRae / bigMike are using the run to set up the pass (square peg in round hole) when we should be doing the opposite...using the pass to set up Frank. If our beloved leader, bigmike, doesn't see that, then he isn't as smart as many of you think.

And this business of jimmyRae calling the plays? Well, let him , but make it during the week before the game. At gametime, let alex(or shaun) call plays...just not jimmyrae...because his ability to evaluate the situation(say, 2nd and 6), then figure out what play to call, and finally get the play into the QB ...Well, let's just say jimmy Rae is unable to do those things in a timely fashion, and that is killing us, and making both our QBs look bad.

So, KEEP JIMMY RAE ...awake...during the week before the game, but keep jimmy Rae snoozing during gametime. It could work...and conceivably give us a real shot at winning games that a slow-to-act OC cannot give us.

Fire away.

[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 2, 2009 at 08:06:08 ]
STAY THE COURSE. sing & raye have A PLAN.

Share 49ersWebzone