LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

We Earned Respect from the NFL Today

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Method:
I personally feel we lost more respect then we gained. You don't play prevent defense to end the game and gain respect from anyone.

With the plays that we made down the stretch, Vernon's clutch catches, getting hit and holding onto the ball. Our defense stuffing Adrian Peterson again to his first sub-100 yard game of the season, losing our best player Frank Gore on the 2nd play of the game, and still almost winning the game...How can anyone come away with the opinion that we lost respect today?

Arizona and Seattle fans are probably terrified of playing Minnesota and Adrian Peterson. We played them as well as any team in the NFL could have. Our team is still working out a lot of kinks on offense. Shaun Hill came out throwing in the 4th quarter, so we know now that the issue is not our passing game, rather, it's our reluctance to call pass plays. Namely, Jimmy Raye. I'm just as frustrated as everyone else, but I don't feel as down as I thought I would. Maybe watching Roger Craig's fumble against the Giants in the last minutes of a championship game helps put things into perspective.

THIS IS GAME THREE OF THE SEASON! We have 13 more games to play, and so does Minnesota. They could lose Favre, they could lose Peterson, they might not even make the playoffs if that happens. We know our defense is very good. We didn't get Brandon Jones back today, but he should be back and starting next week. Maybe we could even sign the Greedy Crustacean at some point. What I saw today was a team that matured into a playoff team. We have a lot of good young players who will be around for a long time. They will only get better over time. And we have two 1st round picks next year, with Carolina floundering. The future looks bright.
I personally feel we lost more respect then we gained. You don't play prevent defense to end the game and gain respect from anyone.

yeah, and even if we did gain respect who gives a s**t? the only thing that matters is we lost, plain and simple. raye coached like a lil b***h and we lost.
Originally posted by valrod33:
all this games shows s we dont have the killer instinct, teams will take advantage of that
respect doesnt count in the standings

Disagree.
I hate moral victories, but there's a good chance we could be facing these f**kers again in January.

Edit: Hahahaha wow, I just noticed Sing said the same thing! "Singletary tells team, "We'll see them again in the playoffs." -MM
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM ]
If we win this game, we might have faced Minnesota in SF, now if we make the playoffs, we'll probably face them in Minnesota.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
This was the type of game that Singletary needed to win today to separate the Nolan 49ers and Singletary 49ers.

Singletary almost did that today, but its clear we have legit issues at LG, and RT.
If we win this game, we might have faced Minnesota in SF, now if we make the playoffs, we'll probably face them in Minnesota.

well, we did show that we can hang with this team in the dome, without our top offensive players

and

Old Man Faver isnt going to last the whole season with the way the oline is playing
You guys are kidding yourselves. We won't make the playoffs. Maybe next year, but this year...no. This team is not very good. Everyone around here has lowered our standards. The Niners of the 80's & 90's would've never been happy about losing.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran

I don't know that I totally agree with this, but, I would rather have teams under estimate the Niners. They don't need the media hyping them up, let them fly under the radar and kick some a$$. I love this team
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
You guys are kidding yourselves. We won't make the playoffs. Maybe next year, but this year...no. This team is not very good. Everyone around here has lowered our standards. The Niners of the 80's & 90's would've never been happy about losing.

Have you seen our division? Because it's definitely still up for grabs. We win next win and that gives us an early 3-0 edge in the NFC West.

You really don't think this team has a legit chance to win the NFC West? This team is one play away from 3-0. What the hell are you watching?

Put away the 80's tapes and leap into reality. That will never be duplicated.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Sep 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Psinex:
Nobody expected us to win. Deep down, I was hoping, but not expecting us to win either. In the opening sequence of plays, I was expecting our team to get shredded and blown out by like 2 TD's. Fumble on the very first play, losing Gore on the next, then going 3 and out. It brought back memories of the playoff game against Atlanta back in the 90's when we lost Garrison Hearst on the opening drive to a torn Achilles tendon.

But our team fought back, and stayed in the game. Hell, we went into the locker room with the lead on a great block and TD. We had the freaking lead at the half! We came out swinging, kept the Vikings down, held AP to 85 yards, which, if you subtract the two runs of 35 and 15, we did a really good job of containing him.

Vernon Davis...what can I say about him. He really showed the heart of a champion today. He looked good in training camp, and he finally made good on his talent. 96 yards and 2 TD's. Best game of his career. He made some really tough catches in traffic, got hit, and held onto the ball. His mental toughness has finally caught up to his physical abilities.

This game is going to light a fire in the hearts of our team. They will be consumed by this loss. A chip on the shoulder for the rest of...who knows how long? Players like Patrick Willis, Vernon, everyone will be driven by this loss. If we can stand toe to toe with the Minnesota Vikings, who are a favorite team for the Superbowl, we can compete with ANY team in the NFL. The last 2-0 starts followed by a loss felt very hollow. This loss feels like a victory because we made a statement to every team in the NFL. We stopped Adrian Peterson, and we were one play from winning the game.

For our players, the fact that they know they can compete with any team in the NFL means more than just a single victory. For our team's long term psyche, this is how playoff teams are built. They learn from tough losses. Even our best Superbowl-winning teams lost a game here and there.

This loss hurts like hell, but trust me...our team got a lot better today. With Vernon proving that he can step up and be a go-to receiver, that alone made the game for me. Coffee looked pretty good when he got the ball. Who knows, we could end up playing the Vikings again in the playoffs and get our revenge then. That scenario doesn't seem so far-fetched as it did before today's game. This is only game 3, we've got 13 more games to go. Better to lose early and learn, then win in the end. Have some faith. One thing's for sure, we are going to destroy the Rams next week.

man great post thanks for sharing it...

go niners
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

You really don't think this team has a legit chance to win the NFC West? This team is one play away from 3-0. What the hell are you watching?

Same team you're watching. We barely beat a horrible AZ team that is starting to play better. They'll beat us next time. We barely beat a horrible Seattle team that had no QB. Next game, they will beat us in Seattle. Minnesota is terrible and we can't beat them.

In the 80's & 90's, we were devastated by losses. We've become losers now, accepting defeat with a smile. That's pathetic. Ronnie Lott didn't cut off his finger for this kind of crap.
Originally posted by vaniner757:
favre's niner killing luck and the refs carried their sorry asses all game long.

i agree.

Indeed. The Minnesota Farve's got some home cooking today. The kick off return hurt the most, but the Farve luck was successful again today.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
I'd trade their respect for the win.
Share 49ersWebzone