LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Question...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was just reading Jennings take on the upcoming game...

Teams talk, with Jennings

And he pointed out something that I didn't understand in the Sheattle game.

Their punter kicked the ball 60 yards (monster leg) and they downed it at the one.

Here's my question it was a LIVE ball(I didn't hear a whistle blown) and one of our guys promptly picked it up to give us some breathing room. Why did the Refs place it right back at the one without a penalty flag thrown to take it back?

So far as I know until the whistle blows the play dead, or a player touched the recovering player(which never happened) that's a live ball and RETURNABLE by the Receiving team. Defense can't advance the ball but the Offense can. Right?

So to me this is just another instance of inept Officiating if my thought process is correct.

Oh yes, if our guy was out of bounds(another possible reason) why didn't the Zebes throw a flag on illegal touching?

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM ]
I thought a Seattle player touched it and then we picked it up to run.
I thought it should have been a fumble on the hawks, they guy put the ball down before the play was dead. Guess I could have missed the whistle though.
I believe the reason the ball wasn't live is because the opposing player was considered to have "downed" it.

I'm not sure what exactly has to take place for the ball to be considered downed, but in this case, it seems like the fact that he possessed it and physically placed it on the ground counted.

I think it's just another case of the refs not blowing their whistle until way after the fact. Is it just me or does that seem to happen alot? Are they confused as to who is responsible to blow the whistle, or do they just forget?
when the seattle player put it on the ground and it stopped moving, it was dead. had he thrown it backwards and it was still moving, it would have been legal to pick it up and run with it. personally idk why rossum just didnt hit him, i'm sure that is a legal...
It's because he placed the ball on the ground. If he had batted it we could have run it back but because he had control and placed it on the ground the play was over.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
It's because he placed the ball on the ground. If he had batted it we could have run it back but because he had control and placed it on the ground the play was over.

Well for whatever reason it's illogical. Because given what I know, he's sposed to be touched. He wasn't, the refs failed miserably to end the play and we should have gotten it back with decent field position instead of at the one.

I was not happy when they did that after ALLOWING our guy to move it forward without even blowing the whistle. It was almost like "Hey hey hey ...um hey you... oh what's this in my mouth..."

We all have moments like that at some point but these guys are SPOSED to be professionals and as such I find it insane that these simple issues continue to foul up the game that I love.

I think that it should have stood where we brought it up to. I would feel that way no matter which team was the PR team. Yes, before you ask, that includes Phallus. Though I would throw a flag on them for "Illegal use of the word America".

Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one that play confused...

*Edit* Oh WAITAFRIGGINMINUTE!!! Wasn't there a play in the league where the player put the ball down at the goal line and because it did not cross it was able to be returned?

Pretty sure there was...

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM ]
Right or wrong, if we would have lost that game, that play would have been scrutinized.........as it happens being that we won I completely forgot about it.

I remember thinking the play was a bit unusual...........you are correct for questioning it.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Right or wrong, if we would have lost that game, that play would have been scrutinized.........as it happens being that we won I completely forgot about it.

I remember thinking the play was a bit unusual...........you are correct for questioning it.

Oh I questioned it a bit when it happened. I didn't get all twisted up about it though since I was at a friend's house and he's a Sheattle fan.

But we both cheered madly when the Giants took down Phallus, so it was all good since well my team won. I just didn't want to get booted before the game was over since I was watching it on his projector system. 92" of 9er goodness ain't all bad. Even when the Refs attempt to muck it up for us. And better when they fail.

~Ceadder
no, no, no. Once the punting team touches it, the ball is dead at the spot the punting team takes possession (i.e. 2 feet, control). If the ball was simply batted, rossum could have returned it.

As per NFL Digest of Rules:

"Any member of the punting team may down the ball anywhere in the field of play. However, it is illegal touching (Official’s time out and receiver’s ball at spot of illegal touching). This foul does not offset any foul by receivers during the down. "

NFL Digest of Rules - Kicks from Scrimmage

If anyone can find a more complete explanation, please do so.

Yah agree with most.

If the defense is the first to touch the ball and gain control and down it, the ball is dead, period. Whether he held onto the ball and kneeled down or downed it. The ball is dead.
Share 49ersWebzone