There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers accuse Jets of Tampering *Updated*

Let's hope this isn't just a way for the NFL to screw the Niners.
Its does seem to make sense. I live in the NJ/NY area and remember hearing talk radio mention that a player from the Jets, I think Revis, twitter about the Jets making a big shocking move for a WR during the pre-season. Once it was determined that it wasnt Brandon Marshall people were wondering who he could be talking about.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Its does seem to make sense. I live in the NJ/NY area and remember hearing talk radio mention that a player from the Jets, I think Revis, twitter about the Jets making a big shocking move for a WR during the pre-season. Once it was determined that it wasnt Brandon Marshall people were wondering who he could be talking about.

Man the NFL is twisted if the Jets thought that was a workable strategy, to go after a top 10 pick that they have no rights too....aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If I wasn't going to see Kings of Leon, Dave Mathews and Pearl Jam this weekend I might turn into the Hulk.

It was Kerry Rhodes and it was back at the beginning of September. He was likely hinting at Marshall as the deadline to trade for Crabtree had passed.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

It was Kerry Rhodes and it was back at the beginning of September. He was likely hinting at Marshall as the deadline to trade for Crabtree had passed.

Thats what everyone thought at first. But then he said it wasnt Marshall and it was something else.
how would the jets make a deal for crabtree in september?

unless you're saying he was talking about a sign-and-trade, which doesn't happen in the NFL
I can't help but to stir up the s**t with these delusional morons.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

thats good stuff for a 69 year old

[ Edited by valrod33 on Oct 2, 2009 at 09:23:36 ]
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
“An investigation will be conducted, and the league will appoint two security managers from other teams to handle it”.

It is two security managers from other teams not GM read the quote above from the article.

I agree with you about the West Coast bias the NFL and media especially SI and ESPN. Great example is Chris Mortensen and his bus tour. Plus, how often do we read an article about a Niner player and they don’t even bother to spell his name right or know what position he plays.

I think Goodall is taking this very seriously to appoint two security managers (did same thing in NE case) from other teams. Generally NFL security managers are ex-FBI or Secret Service and know how to run an investigation. An investigation like this one is expensive and will cost the NFL $100-200K or more. I don’t think they would spend those kinds of dollars (especially when laying off NFL employees) if something wasn’t of interest to them. Think about this imagine your teams guy being selected what a great opportunity to find some good evidence on another team that you can keep to yourself over and above the tampering charges. Teams have to be lining up for this deal I know I would. This situation is getting to much attention and because the Niners know what the NFL is looking for in a tampering case (the Bears) one must assume they have some pretty damaging evidence. The article also makes several good points about Crabtrees attitude and in the middle of negotiations the price went up which sent red flags soaring with the Niners.

Deion is an NFL employee and he will be on the hot seat would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. Everyone knows the there was tampering way to many article coming out with new information plus the Jets and Ryan went over board in denying the allegations.

If this goes the Niners way we could end up with a boat load of picks in what is shaping up to be potentially one of the best draft classes in the last 20 years. If 10 teams are really interested in Crabtree we could get a 1 or 2 along with another pick by trading him, the Jets 1 plus another one of there picks. Could you imagine having 4 1st round picks could fix a lot problems fast?

Don't get too excited bud. Even if we get a boat load of picks for this. The reality is that we are not keeping them all especially if we get one or two first rounders. If we have 4 firstround picks, where are we gonna get the money to sign them? You're talking about 30-40 million in guaranteed money. If we get picks,don't be surprised if we trade it for a proven player if the picks are in this years draft or we defer the picks to the 2011 draft.
Most likely scenario is the Jets LOSE a pick and the 49ers get a supplementary 3rd rounder. The 49ers will NOT get a pick from the Jets. The Jets will get punished by LOSING a pick, nothing more.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Maybe someone could help me out. There is a guy over there claiming that if the Niners had traded Crabtree to the Jets prior to the August deadline, the Jets would only have their rookie allotment money to make a deal with Crabtree, thus negating the fact they would be able to pay him big bucks. Is this true?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:

Man the NFL is twisted if the Jets thought that was a workable strategy, to go after a top 10 pick that they have no rights too....aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If I wasn't going to see Kings of Leon, Dave Mathews and Pearl Jam this weekend I might turn into the Hulk.

Let me know how the concerts go?
scenario: What if multiple teams are caught tampering in the Crabtree case, could that mean multiple teams have to surrender high draft picks to us? If that is the case, I would say indeed, that is a win-win situation. Our team could be completely rebuilt in 2 years.

Maybe someone could help me out. There is a guy over there claiming that if the Niners had traded Crabtree to the Jets prior to the August deadline, the Jets would only have their rookie allotment money to make a deal with Crabtree, thus negating the fact they would be able to pay him big bucks. Is this true?

LOL... They don't get it. Why would we want to pick on the Jets? Seriously, of all teams, why the Jets? You should ask them that...

Wouldn't it seem more plausible that we would go after a team like the Bears, or Cowboys or maybe someone in the NFC West if we were just wanting to trash a team's name. We don't have anything against the Jets...

There has to be a reason we brought charges against the Jets instead of any other NFL Team. I'm willing to bet that the reason is the Jets are guilty!

[ Edited by D_Niner on Oct 2, 2009 at 10:37:04 ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
“An investigation will be conducted, and the league will appoint two security managers from other teams to handle it”.

It is two security managers from other teams not GM read the quote above from the article.

I agree with you about the West Coast bias the NFL and media especially SI and ESPN. Great example is Chris Mortensen and his bus tour. Plus, how often do we read an article about a Niner player and they don’t even bother to spell his name right or know what position he plays.

I think Goodall is taking this very seriously to appoint two security managers (did same thing in NE case) from other teams. Generally NFL security managers are ex-FBI or Secret Service and know how to run an investigation. An investigation like this one is expensive and will cost the NFL $100-200K or more. I don’t think they would spend those kinds of dollars (especially when laying off NFL employees) if something wasn’t of interest to them. Think about this imagine your teams guy being selected what a great opportunity to find some good evidence on another team that you can keep to yourself over and above the tampering charges. Teams have to be lining up for this deal I know I would. This situation is getting to much attention and because the Niners know what the NFL is looking for in a tampering case (the Bears) one must assume they have some pretty damaging evidence. The article also makes several good points about Crabtrees attitude and in the middle of negotiations the price went up which sent red flags soaring with the Niners.

Deion is an NFL employee and he will be on the hot seat would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. Everyone knows the there was tampering way to many article coming out with new information plus the Jets and Ryan went over board in denying the allegations.

If this goes the Niners way we could end up with a boat load of picks in what is shaping up to be potentially one of the best draft classes in the last 20 years. If 10 teams are really interested in Crabtree we could get a 1 or 2 along with another pick by trading him, the Jets 1 plus another one of there picks. Could you imagine having 4 1st round picks could fix a lot problems fast?

Don't get too excited bud. Even if we get a boat load of picks for this. The reality is that we are not keeping them all especially if we get one or two first rounders. If we have 4 firstround picks, where are we gonna get the money to sign them? You're talking about 30-40 million in guaranteed money. If we get picks,don't be surprised if we trade it for a proven player if the picks are in this years draft or we defer the picks to the 2011 draft.
Most likely scenario is the Jets LOSE a pick and the 49ers get a supplementary 3rd rounder. The 49ers will NOT get a pick from the Jets. The Jets will get punished by LOSING a pick, nothing more.

I don't know if that works though. Then you could tamper with another teams 1st round pick in your division if that player was an awesome talent and try to talk him out of signing, and if you get caught you loose your first round pick too but lets say you were already a playoff team, then you loose a late 1st and they loose a top 5. It would be a win-win for you regardless of if you got caught.

I don't think so. The rookie allotment is determined by the league based on where the rookies you sign were drafted. If we had traded Crab's rights to the jets, then the allotment associated with the #10 overall selection would have gone with him.

Otherwise it would be impossible to ever trade any high pick's rights without getting into rookie cap trouble. The Giants & San Diego swapped rookie cap numbers after the Eli trade, I believe.