LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

OFFICIAL: 2006 Smith vs 2009 Hill Tracker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This comparison is going to pop up in just about every thread after a post about Hill or a post about Smith. To start this off, I will include the stats of Alex Smith's 2006 after a very general breakdown of the two teams around them:

2006 Offensive Line (Run-Block) >> 2009 Offensive Line (Run-Block)
2006 Offensive Line (Pass-Block) > 2009 Offensive Line (Pass-Block): Smiley and Allen both have an edge on our Guards.
2006 Gore < 2009 Gore
2006 WR < 2009 WR
2006 Defense
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:13 AM ]
For some reason, it keeps cutting off my post.

Alex Smith 2006 Stats: 7 WINS
GS: 16
Comp: 257
Att: 442
Pct: 58.1
Yds: 2,890
Avg: 6.5 (where's the deep ball)?
TD: 16
INT: 16
Sacked: 35
Rating: 74.8
FUM: 10
Lost: 5

Shaun Hill 2009 Stats: 2 WINS
GS: 2
Comp: 52
Att: 82
Pct: 63.4
Yds: 548
Avg: 6.7
TD: 3
INT: 1
Sacked: 9
Rating: 89.9
FUM: 3
Lost: 1
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM ]
Best facepalm yet, but you fail at timing with facepalms.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
There is really no need for this. Anyone with eyes can see that Hill, despite his weaknesses, is a superior quarterback.
you should do it week by week..

Shaun Hill has 1td 0int and around 350yds passing after 2 games
Alex Smith had 2td 0int and around 500yds passing after 2 games in 06
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
you should do it week by week..

Shaun Hill has 1td 0int and around 350yds passing after 2 games
Alex Smith had 2td 0int and around 500yds passing after 2 games in 06

I was thinking about that, but the stats go downhill in a hurry for Alex Smith. I would give him the benefit of the doubt and compare the entire season.
Originally posted by crzy:
There is really no need for this. Anyone with eyes can see that Hill, despite his weaknesses, is a superior quarterback.

Yeah but after every game, the stats will probably be posted repeatedly in about 3 different threads and this conversation will begin after every game as it has.
Alex was what? 20 years old in 2006?

Yeah this is going to be very telling. Compare Drew Brees' stats to Shaun Hill in their first two seasons. Hill looks good there too.

Until this healthy version of Alex gets to play there is no way to compare. Judging Alex in his very raw seasons under a terrible team and horrible coaching decisions just isn't fair.

I know the simple minded like to make comparisons with black and white stats but that's not how it works because there is no fair sample.

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring and Dan Marino doesn't.

Super Bowl Ring >>>>> No Super Bowl Ring

Trent's better
This is so stupid, yet somehow expected of you.

... and 2006 pass blocking was BETTER than the 2009 pass blocking??? Huge FAIL.

Originally posted by oldman9er:

Hey now, I'm not creating this for myself or anything. Just that threads are beginning to get hijacked by Smith vs Hill, so why not have a seperate one about it.

FYI

Fact: I think Alex would have gone 2-0 this year.
Fact: I think Alex will surprise us next year with a year to sit and watch an offense before he applies the offense.
Fact: I don't think Alex will be a highly efficient QB, but he will be much better than a bust.
Originally posted by Canadian49er:

Yeah this is going to be very telling. Compare Drew Brees' stats to Shaun Hill in their first two seasons. Hill looks good there too.

Until this healthy version of Alex gets to play there is no way to compare. Judging Alex in his very raw seasons under a terrible team and horrible coaching decisions just isn't fair.

I know the simple minded like to make comparisons with black and white stats but that's not how it works because there is no fair sample.

Trent's better

cmon havent you figured it out yet---this isnt about being fair, it is about bashing the guy who got the big contract
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Canadian49er:

Trent's better

cmon havent you figured it out yet---this isnt about being fair, it is about bashing the guy who got the big contract

Not if Hill doesn't come through. Works both ways.
Originally posted by Joecool:
This comparison is going to pop up in just about every thread after a post about Hill or a post about Smith. To start this off, I will include the stats of Alex Smith's 2006 after a very general breakdown of the two teams around them:

2006 Offensive Line (Run-Block) >> 2009 Offensive Line (Run-Block)
2006 Offensive Line (Pass-Block) > 2009 Offensive Line (Pass-Block): Smiley and Allen both have an edge on our Guards.
2006 Gore < 2009 Gore
2006 WR < 2009 WR
2006 Defense

Joe...

J-Raye calls a different game then Norv does. So at the end of the day, all we can tell is who exicuted their OCs system better. And we all know that Hill will win this one just like he won the starting job.

I don't know why folks care to look any further then that. They were in an open competion, which both were giving it all they got, and Shaun came out on top. Case closed... Shaun Hill FTW!
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Larry Allen in 2006 was much better than Baas. Smiley is a much better pass blocker than Rachal. Heittman is Heittman, and at that time, we also had Newberry.

Jonas Jennings played very well for us in 2006. So, all positions were better expect for RT and so far, Harris and Snyder are pretty much a wash.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:45 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone