There are 188 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How has balmer played so far?

saw him a few plays there and there but did not see him much. I had high hopes for this guy but he seems lost in our d-line rotation. I wish i recorded the gm to see how he did when he was in there? Do any of you guys know how many plays has he played?
seeing as we have a top 3 run defense and a top 10 defense overall (9th i believe) i'd say he's doing pretty good
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
He is part of the D-Line rotation but has started to look quite good by all accounts. Here is what MM wrote about him after the Seahawks game.

Quote:
96-Kentwan Balmer: He is showing signs of developing into a pretty good player. He saw a lot of action in the rotation and did not disappoint with four tackles including one for a loss.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/recap-of-week-2-performances.html
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
seeing as we have a top 3 run defense and a top 10 defense overall (9th i believe) i'd say he's doing pretty good

dude im not blind i know the defense has played good but im talking about balmer indivisually.
Originally posted by Stuuk:
He is part of the D-Line rotation but has started to look quite good by all accounts. Here is what MM wrote about him after the Seahawks game.

Quote:
96-Kentwan Balmer: He is showing signs of developing into a pretty good player. He saw a lot of action in the rotation and did not disappoint with four tackles including one for a loss.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/recap-of-week-2-performances.html

i hope he keeps it up. Our dline is playing good right now.
Originally posted by thuglife619:

dude im not blind i know the defense has played good but im talking about balmer indivisually.

he's doing good man, on the d-line those guys dont play all game long, they rotate all day, balmer has been getting plenty of playing time and he gets penetration because of his strength. like someone else posted, he had four tackles against seattle with one for a loss. thats a lot of production from a d-lineman

he's doing good man, on the d-line those guys dont play all game long, they rotate all day, balmer has been getting plenty of playing time and he gets penetration because of his strength. like someone else posted, he had four tackles against seattle with one for a loss. thats a lot of production from a d-lineman

fair enough, its just so hard to focus on one player during a gm my eyes go where the ball goes but thnks guys.
Check Out My Thread...

Especially from d-lineman who is not in all the time.

Balmer is playing very well against the run, and doing some nice things with the pass rush.

If he keeps up his progress, he will see more and more playing time as the season goes along.

fair enough, its just so hard to focus on one player during a gm my eyes go where the ball goes but thnks guys.

no worries man. i do the same thing, i try to pay attention to the trenches but i follow the ball. its a little easier to watch the d-lineman tho, if theyre effective it shows pretty quickly
I think that we eventually will see him take over at LDE with Sopoaga moving back to NT where, unlike when Nolan was here, he will be given the green light to one-gap and try to make plays in the back field... This being Franklin's last year on his contract, SOAP may be our starter next year.
I am serious! Have you ever been watching a game and said "Nice play Balmer". I know I havn't. I mean, I havn't even seen a glimmer of hope with this guy. Even today, he could have had Slaton in the backfield, but Slaton just bounced right off him.
No.

It's still too early. But at this very early premature point it looks like a wasted pick. Again that's not fair to him since it is still too early to write off his entire 49er career.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:05 AM ]
i've seen him play well on some defensive plays but mostly know him for his kickoff returning abilities
He's not a star but he doesn't suck either. The problem is, he has some guys ahead of him on the depth chart that are playing solid. Its going to be hard for him to pass up Justin Smith or Ray McDonald or Isaac Soap or Franklin on the depth chart. He's rotating in with them which is a good sign but he isn't a dominate player yet. The knock on him in the draft was he was still very raw which we all saw last year.

He wasn't "worth" the 1st round pick simply because we needed someone who can contribute right away but he could become a good player in the future.