Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Alex Smith is a bum

Cut him already

Waste of a roster spot

I'd rather sign Brit Miller off of the practice squad to take his place and move M-rob to 3rd string QB.

Alex Smith = Biggest Bust in 49ers History.

The End.

Go Shaun Hill.

You realize of course, that posts like this reveal you to be a fan with limited knowlege of football..

It doesn't take much knowledge of football to realize Alex Smith sucks. I'm sure a pee-wee football QB can watch Alex Smith and realize he sucks.

I can understand you hating on Alex for whatever your reasons, but to suggest that Brit Miller would be a better use of a roster spot and that Nate Davis is ready to step into a B/U role or M-Rob could be a 3rd string QB is ridiculous.
Alex Smith is a bum

Cut him already

Waste of a roster spot

I'd rather sign Brit Miller off of the practice squad to take his place and move M-rob to 3rd string QB.

The End.

Go Shaun Hill.

You realize of course, that posts like this reveal you to be a fan with limited knowlege of football..

It doesn't take much knowledge of football to realize Alex Smith sucks. I'm sure a pee-wee football QB can watch Alex Smith and realize he sucks.

I can understand you hating on Alex for whatever your reasons, but to suggest that Brit Miller would be a better use of a roster spot and that Nate Davis is ready to step into a B/U role or M-Rob could be a 3rd string QB is ridiculous.

Actually, next year, either Alex Smith or Shuan Hill will be cut or third string. Nate Davis' preseason results as confirmed him of the backup role next year. Now that leaves Alex Smith or Shaun Hill. The only way Hill is unseated is if he sucks this year and Smith plays and does OK or they have another Competition and Smith wins it outright. The other option is if Hill plays average and we pick up a veteran to start.

Either way, one of the two will be off the team as they make too much money for third stringers before the 2010 season starts.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Alex Smith is a bum

Cut him already

Waste of a roster spot

The End.

Go Shaun Hill.

Our #1 overall pick in the draft is a backup. How is he limited with knowledge?

You guys are really being rough on people's man crushes here.

Man crush. If it were only so simple. Being a fan of this team would be oh so much easier.

I mean, I have a man crush on the core group of dynasty 9ers. But how is pointing out the weakness of the product that we put on the field deemed a "man crush".

Last time I checked that's being a fan and calling a spade a spade?

This should make y'all nuts but I got these numbers from Maiocco's recent article "49ers still want Crabtree"

"...through two games, only three 49ers wideouts have caught passes. Isaac Bruce, Josh Morgan and Arnaz Battle have combined for 14 receptions for 170 yards. There are 10 wide receivers in the league with more yards receiving than those three combined."

Now obviously he didn't put Duke's 37 yards in there, but why should he? It doesn't make a bum look like a billionaire in the grand scheme of things.

14 Receptions for 170 yards in TWO freakin games?

PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 37 - 58 - 0 - 6.1
Shaun Hill 57 37 353 64.9 6.2 1 1.8 0 0.0 50 8 48 87.8

Now look his QB percentage is all nice an clean with an 87.8 overall percentage. But when you compare it to the overall product? My dead granma could have an 87.8.

I want Hill to succeed, but damn yo, you have to have absolutely NO knowledge of Football if you consider those numbers good enough to retain the job.

Here is where we rank statistically as a team...

PTS-21.5 (12th) Take away the rushing scores and the FGs' and focus in on ONE lone TD in two games. It won't get easier only harder for Shaun to score.

YDS-291.0(26th)

PASS YDS-152.5(30th)

RUSH YDS-138.5(9th)

We're ranked 30TH for cryin out loud. With about 8 matchups against SOLID teams.

I'm not standing on a podium to get Alex his job back. I'm pointing out that this crap CANNOT continue. Our Defense CANNOT hold that strong against THOSE teams and expect us to remain in contention.

You can't even really blame Raye's Offense for this. Because when you go back over these two games, you'll SEE that it is 100% the guy that is under Center. Soon as he whiffs one and it's nearly picked off he won't throw another deep ball the ENTIRE freakin game. Which invites the Defense to continue to stack the box making Shaun have to beat them in the air by doing like what I said they were going to do. Take away the short to intermediate (not like Hill gets good results there either) game and make him have to go deep or take alot of 3 and outs. 3 and outs are a disaster against the tougher teams on this schedule.

But you guys can have your little party and make all the wisecracks that you want if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Me I'm gonna continue pointing this kind of stuff out. I apologize to those of you sensitive types that can't handle the truth.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Ceadder.. I feel your pain and completely agree with every factual, rational point you make, but face it, this argument is futile. The last time we saw a healthy Alex Smith playing in a real game, he looked good, the team was 2-0 and the future looked bright for him and Shaun Hill was a 3rd string emergency QB. Then Larry Allen blew a blocking assignment and now he is being labeled by many around here as the worst QB ever to suit up for the 49ers.

Nothing you can say will convince the Shaun Hill lovers otherwise. I was/am in the Alex Smith camp, not because I hate on Shaun Hill, but because IMO Alex's skills would make the 49er offense more dynamic, more multi dimensional and would force opposing defenses to defend the whole field, not just 20 yards of it.

I am first and foremost a 49er fan and will root like a maniac for them regardless of who lines up behind center. But I do believe that Sooner or later the clock will strike 12 and Hill will turn back into a pumpkin and Alex will get another shot

This thread IS futile, but I'm just here to say that THIS post above is exactly how I feel. Perfect.

Alex does have the skillset to make this offense dynamic, but yes, although the last time we saw him completely healthy, what were his numbers? It's not exactly like we were tearing up the league on offense then either.

In Game 1, vs. Arizona, he was 15/31 for 126 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints.
In Game 2, vs. St. Louis, he was 11/17 for 126 yards, 0 Tds, and 0 Ints.

In two games this season, here are Shaun Hill's stats

In Game 1, vs. Arizona (A MUCH better Cardinals team), he was 18/31 for 209 yards, 1 TD, 0 Ints
In Game 2, vs. Seattle (much better than the 07 Rams), he was 19/26 for 144 yards, 0 TDs, and 0 Ints.

The only thing that you can say in Smith's defense is that Hill is working with a better group of receivers.

Smith may have the skill and has much more potential, however rarely has he put it together on the field and was a playmaker. With his skills, he should have shown that he was clearly the superior QB this summer in training camp, and he didn't. The job rightfully belongs to Shaun Hill.

Are we 2-0 if Alex Smith is starting? Maybe. I wanted him to succeed in SF as much as anyone, but he has had his chances and has blown them all.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Alex Smith is a bum

Cut him already

Waste of a roster spot

The End.

Go Shaun Hill.

Man crush. If it were only so simple. Being a fan of this team would be oh so much easier.

I mean, I have a man crush on the core group of dynasty 9ers. But how is pointing out the weakness of the product that we put on the field deemed a "man crush".

This should make y'all nuts but I got these numbers from Maiocco's recent article "49ers still want Crabtree"

"...through two games, only three 49ers wideouts have caught passes. Isaac Bruce, Josh Morgan and Arnaz Battle have combined for 14 receptions for 170 yards. There are 10 wide receivers in the league with more yards receiving than those three combined."

Now obviously he didn't put Duke's 37 yards in there, but why should he? It doesn't make a bum look like a billionaire in the grand scheme of things.

Now look his QB percentage is all nice an clean with an 87.8 overall percentage. But when you compare it to the overall product? My dead granma could have an 87.8.

I want Hill to succeed, but damn yo, you have to have absolutely NO knowledge of Football if you consider those numbers good enough to retain the job.

PTS-21.5 (12th) Take away the rushing scores and the FGs' and focus in on ONE lone TD in two games. It won't get easier only harder for Shaun to score.

YDS-291.0(26th)

PASS YDS-152.5(30th)

RUSH YDS-138.5(9th)

We're ranked 30TH for cryin out loud. With about 8 matchups against SOLID teams.

I'm not standing on a podium to get Alex his job back. I'm pointing out that this crap CANNOT continue. Our Defense CANNOT hold that strong against THOSE teams and expect us to remain in contention.

You can't even really blame Raye's Offense for this. Because when you go back over these two games, you'll SEE that it is 100% the guy that is under Center. Soon as he whiffs one and it's nearly picked off he won't throw another deep ball the ENTIRE freakin game. Which invites the Defense to continue to stack the box making Shaun have to beat them in the air by doing like what I said they were going to do. Take away the short to intermediate (not like Hill gets good results there either) game and make him have to go deep or take alot of 3 and outs. 3 and outs are a disaster against the tougher teams on this schedule.

But you guys can have your little party and make all the wisecracks that you want if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Me I'm gonna continue pointing this kind of stuff out. I apologize to those of you sensitive types that can't handle the truth.

~Ceadder

lol, same old same old.
Honestly, I don't think Alex has the skill set. He may have the talent, but he has not shown much skill yet in terms of accuracy, footwork, shifting and in the pocket.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Ceadder.. I feel your pain and completely agree with every factual, rational point you make, but face it, this argument is futile. The last time we saw a healthy Alex Smith playing in a real game, he looked good, the team was 2-0 and the future looked bright for him and Shaun Hill was a 3rd string emergency QB. Then Larry Allen blew a blocking assignment and now he is being labeled by many around here as the worst QB ever to suit up for the 49ers.

Nothing you can say will convince the Shaun Hill lovers otherwise. I was/am in the Alex Smith camp, not because I hate on Shaun Hill, but because IMO Alex's skills would make the 49er offense more dynamic, more multi dimensional and would force opposing defenses to defend the whole field, not just 20 yards of it.

I am first and foremost a 49er fan and will root like a maniac for them regardless of who lines up behind center. But I do believe that Sooner or later the clock will strike 12 and Hill will turn back into a pumpkin and Alex will get another shot

This thread IS futile, but I'm just here to say that THIS post above is exactly how I feel. Perfect.

Alex does have the skillset to make this offense dynamic, but yes, although the last time we saw him completely healthy, what were his numbers? It's not exactly like we were tearing up the league on offense then either.

In Game 1, vs. Arizona (A MUCH better Cardinals team), he was 18/31 for 209 yards, 1 TD, 0 Ints
In Game 2, vs. Seattle (much better than the 07 Rams), he was 19/26 for 144 yards, 0 TDs, and 0 Ints.

The only thing that you can say in Smith's defense is that Hill is working with a better group of receivers.

Smith may have the skill and has much more potential, however rarely has he put it together on the field and was a playmaker. With his skills, he should have shown that he was clearly the superior QB this summer in training camp, and he didn't. The job rightfully belongs to Shaun Hill.

Are we 2-0 if Alex Smith is starting? Maybe. I wanted him to succeed in SF as much as anyone, but he has had his chances and has blown them all.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Alex Smith is a bum

Cut him already

Waste of a roster spot

The End.

Go Shaun Hill.

Actually, next year, either Alex Smith or Shuan Hill will be cut or third string. Nate Davis' preseason results as confirmed him of the backup role next year. Now that leaves Alex Smith or Shaun Hill. The only way Hill is unseated is if he sucks this year and Smith plays and does OK or they have another Competition and Smith wins it outright. The other option is if Hill plays average and we pick up a veteran to start.

Either way, one of the two will be off the team as they make too much money for third stringers before the 2010 season starts.

I disagree. Neither Hill nor Smith signed a big money contract, and Davis is signed for 4 years at 4th round money. This team can keep all 3 next year and continue to groom Davis for the future. After next year I'd be surprised to see all 3 of them on the team, however.

This can change depending on how this year goes. If Hill doesn't play well he may be gone at the end of the year to make room for a rookie next year. Same goes for Smith if he plays and stinks.
What are all of these chances that Alex had and failed at?

Gotta admit, this preseason didn't give either Al or Shaun many snaps to prove themselves. Before that, what chances did Alex mess up so badly? He improved and played "decent" football in 2006... he did a "decent" job helping SF get to 2-1 before injury with a horriblly struggling OL and defense. It's clear since he is still here that management didn't think he "blew his chances". So, are we talking about "his chances" in the games AFTER he separated his shoulder in 07? Are we talking about the brief appearances in preseason games this year? (the ones where he had dropped passes and even one for a INT)

So where were all of these chances that he failed horribly at? He was coming off a near 2 year injury and didn't light things up in very limited snaps this preseason... so he doesn't get the job over a QB who did well enough in 2008. Big deal... Laugh if you want, but if Hill keeps playing average ball (or less)... the staff will still be looking at Alex as the successor when he's further along in the system. I truly think they still expect Alex to be the guy. You may dismiss that, and my Niner love is far from tied to such an outcome... but it's what I believe.

As for Davis, yeah, I can see him being looked upon as the #2 for next year.

So if Hill can't improve much... or Alex doesn't step in and play well? 1st round QB or top FA.

If Hill plays good enough or better? then Alex will be the odd man out.

If Hill struggles, and Alex comes in and plays well? Hill will probably be gone.

(unless SF is happy paying the #2 guy 3 million a year)

So if Hill can't improve much... or Alex doesn't step in and play well? 1st round QB or top FA.

If Hill struggles, and Alex comes in and plays well? Hill will probably be gone.

I think if Hill plays well enough and Alex doesn't really get a chance to play, we will have Hill, Smith, and Davis on the team next year. They still consider Smith the future of the team, but want to give him time to learn the offense, etc. I think they are trying to give him time to get over the damage done by Nolan.

But, I think Smith will get a chance to play this year (either due to injury or Hill not playing well). If Smith stinks, he is gone. Same for Hill.
What are all of these chances that Alex had and failed at?

Gotta admit, this preseason didn't give either Al or Shaun many snaps to prove themselves. Before that, what chances did Alex mess up so badly? He improved and played "decent" football in 2006... he did a "decent" job helping SF get to 2-1 before injury with a horriblly struggling OL and defense. It's clear since he is still here that management didn't think he "blew his chances". So, are we talking about "his chances" in the games AFTER he separated his shoulder in 07? Are we talking about the brief appearances in preseason games this year? (the ones where he had dropped passes and even one for a INT)

So where were all of these chances that he failed horribly at? He was coming off a near 2 year injury and didn't light things up in very limited snaps this preseason... so he doesn't get the job over a QB who did well enough in 2008. Big deal... Laugh if you want, but if Hill keeps playing average ball (or less)... the staff will still be looking at Alex as the successor when he's further along in the system. I truly think they still expect Alex to be the guy. You may dismiss that, and my Niner love is far from tied to such an outcome... but it's what I believe.

As for Davis, yeah, I can see him being looked upon as the #2 for next year.

You are wasting your breath OM9, these guys that slam Smith don't care about facts, they just want to rant and rave about how bad he sucks and cherry pick stats that would seem to back up their weak arguments. Just sit back and watch what happens, Smith will get his chance, when we run up against teams that Gore can't pound into submission and Hill continues to ignore wide open receivers, the coaches will have no alternative but to see if Smith can do better. Hill won the QB competition by default, it wasn't like he was brilliant, in fact Smith looked better than Hill against the raiders. If Hill is so great why didn't he blow Smith away? I mean we are talking about a guy that just spent 18 months recovering from a major injury to his throwing shoulder, seems like Hill should have won more convincingly. If Smith were as bad as some of these morons claim, the coaches would have cut him and saved money. The fact is that the coaching staff still believe he can succeed and they know more about football than anyone posting on here. For now Hill is the QB, and until he sucks it up, he will continue to be, and we should support the guy until that changes.

• CleffedUp
  • Info N/A
I couldn't find the "Are you kidding me?!?" button, so I voted "No."
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

You are wasting your breath OM9, these guys that slam Smith don't care about facts, they just want to rant and rave about how bad he sucks and cherry pick stats that would seem to back up their weak arguments. Just sit back and watch what happens, Smith will get his chance, when we run up against teams that Gore can't pound into submission and Hill continues to ignore wide open receivers, the coaches will have no alternative but to see if Smith can do better. Hill won the QB competition by default, it wasn't like he was brilliant, in fact Smith looked better than Hill against the raiders. If Hill is so great why didn't he blow Smith away? I mean we are talking about a guy that just spent 18 months recovering from a major injury to his throwing shoulder, seems like Hill should have won more convincingly. If Smith were as bad as some of these morons claim, the coaches would have cut him and saved money. The fact is that the coaching staff still believe he can succeed and they know more about football than anyone posting on here. For now Hill is the QB, and until he sucks it up, he will continue to be, and we should support the guy until that changes.

Haha, yes, I'm sure you are right. Every now and again, I have the time, so I'll speak my mind on the topic. Can't help myself, I guess.

GO NINERS !!!! (Hill, Smith, whoever)
Much of these opinions of Hill are premature. We will not really know what we have until he has gone up against the best teams in the conference - NYG, NO, DAL, MINN, and GB. We will be able to see him against MINN and GB.

I have nothing against Shaun; in fact. I like him as a person and wish him well. But those who want the 49ers to return to prominence will turn against Hill if he cannot pull wins out against the teams we need to beat to get into the SB.

Frankly, our defense has allowed us to win so far this year. If our defense was less dominent, we would not have scored enough points to win. In fact, if Gore had not pulled off two incredible runs of 79 and 80 yds - something that has only been done once before in the history of the NFL - then we would have probably lost. In which case, the slogan "Hill is a winner" would have gone down in flames.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Alex Smith is a bum

Cut him already

Waste of a roster spot

The End.

Go Shaun Hill.

YDS-291.0(26th)

PASS YDS-152.5(30th)

RUSH YDS-138.5(9th)

~Ceadder

lol, same old same old.

I miss GoFD. He's much more fun to talk Football with. I mean honestly I come here and try to talk Football and give good insight and candor, but it's tedious when basically all I see in return is...

"Smith sucks, his footwork sucks, his arm sucks and..."

Nevermind that no QB in the history of the game could look even average behind the Lines that "protected" Smith.

The crux of the matter is this, if your QB doesn't have time to set his feet and is forced to make plays in less than the typical 3 second goal, he's going to look bad. It's inevitable. Unfortunately this team only added ONE decent FA blocker over the last 6 years and that was Larry Allen. And it was HEITMAN that got Smith killed NOT Allen. Did Allen block the wrong guy? Could be but HEITMAN makes those calls at the Line. You do NOT have the luxury to change your blocking assignment in less than the time that it takes to get the snap off. And that Fat @CE Rocky Bernard went RIGHT PAST Heitman completely UNBLOCKED while our Center was not even otherwise Occupado.

But I digress this also goes back to how many Defenders that stack the box to stop the Run game. If I had to face our Lines in those years I probably would have sent 10 and held one back to catch the unlikely Receiver who MIGHT have the time to turn around to complete the occasional play. No it's not Madden but Gdamn it's sad when you could Defense us like it is.

Ghost come back man we need you.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Didn't Alex get to use the "SAME" WR's in the preseason?
Share 49ersWebzone