There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Brian Jennings Experience

I too wish there was some sort of middle ground, but I do believe there are league minimums for experience. Sad to see this guy go...
I trust Harbaugh and Baalke but the 2002 playoff was proof that a good long snapper isn't something to take for granted, I hope letting Jennings go doesn't screw us over.
I do not trust harbaugh when it comes to personal decisions like this, He's the kind of coach that falls hard for a guy and doesn't know when to let go, this is a harbaugh move cause he's got a hard on for this kid. I do however trust trent baalke, for when one of jims loves breaks his heart and cant let go, trent will ship him off. Otherwise we still be stuck with A.J. and Tolzen, even taylor mays. I'm sure trent wanted Colt gone and JH said just reduction in his salary to keep him here.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Aug 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM ]
I hope when this new kid screws up, Jennings will be at home waiting for a call. It just seems like such a huge gamble for such a small amount of savings.
Pro football is a tough business and it's even tougher when you have to cut loose a good soldier like Brian Jennings. Nobody is rocking a Jennings jersey and nobody will even notice he's gone. Not until Kevin McDermott botches a snap.

Jennings won't be out of work long. He knows it and the 49ers know it too, but money talks and it always will. They didn't ask him to take a pay cut to stay. He's earned his cash and he'll get it from someone else. Never messing up a snap is a hell of an accomplishment.

In Harbaugh I trust. But yeah, I see how this could blow up in his face real badly. Hope it doesn't.
[ Edited by Ohio49er on Sep 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
I hope when this new kid screws up, Jennings will be at home waiting for a call. It just seems like such a huge gamble for such a small amount of savings.

It's not just about the savings. McDermott is considered the best LS to come out of college in a while. He would have been snatched up by another team if cut. Saying goodbye to Jennings sucks, but this way we have another top LS for the next 15 years. We chose to be proactive instead of waiting for when Jennings retired.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

It's not just about the savings. McDermott is considered the best LS to come out of college in a while. He would have been snatched up by another team if cut. Saying goodbye to Jennings sucks, but this way we have another top LS for the next 15 years. We chose to be proactive instead of waiting for when Jennings retired.

I'm not one of these guys crying over 37-year-old long snapper but I was just curious where you heard that
Originally posted by KID9R:

I'm not one of these guys crying over 37-year-old long snapper but I was just curious where you heard that

Wish I could find exactly where I heard that. To be honest I don't really remember if I read it, or reached that conclusion based on what I've read about him. Closest I could find was from a UCLA blog:

Longsnapper Kevin McDermott won't get drafted, but coach Jim Mora said 15 NFL teams have come to UCLA to work him out — and all said he was the best in the country.

Pretty rare hearing 15 teams have a scout fly out for a private workout with a long-snapper.

Also from Maiocco's 53-man breakdown:

The 49ers believed a long-snapper such as McDermott does not come around every year, so they made the switch now.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:

Wish I could find exactly where I heard that. To be honest I don't really remember if I read it, or reached that conclusion based on what I've read about him. Closest I could find was from a UCLA blog:

Longsnapper Kevin McDermott won't get drafted, but coach Jim Mora said 15 NFL teams have come to UCLA to work him out — and all said he was the best in the country.

Pretty rare hearing 15 teams have a scout fly out for a private workout with a long-snapper.

Also from Maiocco's 53-man breakdown:

The 49ers believed a long-snapper such as McDermott does not come around every year, so they made the switch now.

Lol Jim was hyping everyone of his players during the combine at comedic levels. But ya 15 teams seem like a lot, not sure. It is just a one coach or scout.
Dude belongs in the ring of honor. Hell, he even has a case for retiring #86, but that'll never happen. 13 years through the good, the bad, and the crap. Never screwed up once. Magnificent run.

I understand the logic of wanting this new guy for the future, but I just cant help getting a bad feeling about putting a rookie in such a big pressure role. Itd be one thing if we were a mediocre team, but were going to be playing in a ton of HUGE games this year. Hopefully several playoff games. Weve all seen what happens when the pressure gets to a long snapper. It can end an entire season.

We know Jennings is automatic, even in the biggest situations. Its hard to give that up for "potential". Im just hoping he retires now and is available for a call if the new guy proves to be shaky in the clutch.

Maybe 5-7 years from now we look back on this as funny that everyone was worried about losing Jennings, and McDermott ends up carrying the torch as best LS in the NFL. I just really hope it doesnt come back to bite us.
Some of you guys are acting like we cut him the day before a huge game.
13 years without a major mistake. You can diminish his role, but you can also make the argument he is one of the all-time great 49ers.

He was the best at what he did for over a decade. Did everything, and more, of what was asked of him.
Originally posted by okdkid:
13 years without a major mistake. You can diminish his role, but you can also make the argument he is one of the all-time great 49ers.

He was the best at what he did for over a decade. Did everything, and more, of what was asked of him.

Best for over a decade? Please

Best of all-time is more like it :p
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Sep 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by okdkid:

Best for over a decade? Please

Best of all-time is more like it :p

Either way he is an all-time great. Very little debate there.