LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

These wins are great, but

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Towelboy, you must be another hardcore Alex Smith lover. Either that, or your logic towards football is simply absurd. We are 2-0. Are you that eager to find something to complain about? You're talking about finding another starting quarterback to replace Shaun Hill, a guy who's won the respect of his coaches and teammates, won the respect of fans for his winning ability, and won two important divisional games this season. Sure... that makes sense. Trade or drop our starting quarterback?? Hill is NOT the sexiest QB around in terms of his game, throwing style, or statistics, BUT he gets the job done and doesn't turn the ball over like Alex Smith.

You would think people would be happy to be 2-0 to start off the season.

We're not 1-1, we're not 0-2. We're 2-0 with the players we have in as our starters. Could we use more talent, sure why not. But if we keep getting wins, I don't think you should be complaining.
Bite my tongue, bite my tongue... If you can't something nice...
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Were you the towel boy for Michigan you know the one who got knocked out in the waterboy movie?
  • B650
  • Veteran
I'm not really buying the 2-0 argument. Do you really think that we stand a chance if we played someone like Drew Brees in the playoffs? Don't you see this guy's point? Try to look a little further into the future instead of being fixated on the fact that we're 2-0 (quite possibly 2-1 after next week). The guy is 29 years old and isn't going to get much better. We might squeak into the playoffs, but then what? A painful first round exit? I guess we all got accustomed to losing that being 2-0 suddenly is an excuse for everyone to play bad.

I'm not saying we should go out and replace Hill either. I think he's a good, solid QB. He will take us to the playoffs. If we want to improve upon that, most likely we're going to need an upgrade at that position. I think that's all the OP is saying, and I agree. I am, however, going to try and enjoy this as much as possible and you never know, stranger things have happened. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.
Go do the laundry boy.

Its going to be a dreadful day here on the zone when we loss our first game. We already have fans lining up to say "I told you so." Maybe the mods can make an official "I told you so" thread so people can go ahead and make there thoughtful posts.
As long as he wins, I can deal with how he plays.
I would prefer to have Hill over Smith under center at this point, but I am still not a Hill supporter. I think he is a manager at best. I must admit though that Hill played decently well in this last game, and one has a hard time arguing the results.

I have been suprisingly impressed with this team to this point, but I will reserve my spot on the bandwagon and will actually take that seat if we beat the Vikqueens next Sunday.

I REALLY REALLY want to, but I am not drinking the cool-aid quite yet.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits. He has absolutely horrendous pocket awareness; sometimes he literally sacks himself by running into people, and he flashes the football right at the pass rushers he doesn't know are there. His accuracy is very hit or miss, usually miss. What limited production he does muster comes mostly from screens to Gore and Davis.

He's had one or two throws a game so far that have made me raise an eyebrow (impressed), but they can't overshadow the fact that he's a well below average NFL quarterback. I'm pretty torn about this season now. I'd be so thrilled for us to finally win another division title, but I don't think we'd have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs.

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Supposedly, what Hill has going for him is that he's a "gamer" and he "manages the game" and he has an impressive record in a limited sample. Well, Smith has had his moments too. He had a "gamer" comeback against the Cardinals a couple years ago that had everyone buzzing about the second coming.

But I digress. If Smith is really and truly a bust, we need to get serious about 2009 success and trade for a quarterback.

Hello! we won the game! Why are you complaining?
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by tohara3:
As long as he wins, I can deal with how he plays.

QFT

I cant wait to see this offense sputter against the vikes and watch everyone turn on Hill.. because thats how the majority of fans are we win your on hits nuts we lose he blows. He isnt a good qb

The D is the reason we are 2and 0 and Gore from yesterday NOT Hill
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Sep 21, 2009 at 7:06 AM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I cant wait to see this offense sputter against the vikes and watch everyone turn on Hill

In case you haven't read some of the posts, most people agree with you. Hill also hasn't done anything to lose us either game (e.g. see Tony Romo's performance from last night). Unless the Niners turn to Nate Davis (.....sorry Alex Smith lovers) sometime this year or next, Hill stays right where he is.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I cant wait to see this offense sputter against the vikes and watch everyone turn on Hill.. because thats how the majority of fans are we win your on hits nuts we lose he blows. He isnt a good qb

Great attidute. Hoping for your team to fail. Brillant.
If that happens I presuem you´ll be happy then?

Shaun Hill is our best QB at the moment. However, I still think he'd benefit from another WR receiver that can get open for the 8-12 yard strike.

I realize that Jason Hill is in the doghouse (probably for complaining about lack of playing time), but down the stretch last year JH and SH developed a good combo. Play Jason Hill please!
So you find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Weren't you paying attention to Smith when he played. I wish it weren't true, but Smith is never going to do anything with the 9ers. Hill on the other hand, is 9-3 and is getting it done. Just be happy that we actually have someone who is actually doing something for a change.
Share 49ersWebzone