There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

These wins are great, but

  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Results are what matter. The team doesn't have a true QB leader other than Hill. He gets the job done and the offense responds to his leadership and passion for the game. Once Hill starts falling on his face and causes this team to have a losing record all you haters can come out and complain. Until then, shut it.

"Results" is an ambiguous word. You could be referring to wins versus losses, but that's technically more of a team result than a strictly quarterback result. Maybe not in week 1, but I have a feeling you or I could have quarterbacked the Niners to the W today.

In terms of quarterback-specific indicators, Hill's "results" are exactly what I am taking issue with.
Throw in the Towel!!!

The seasons over.

We have Hill as our starting QB. We will suck with him. No championship. Start Nate Davis because he will be better, or even Alex Smith. Hill is just a below average QB with NO FUTURE, we are destined for DOOM!

Use or first pick on a QB and get another one in FA next year. DUMP HILL!
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Throw in the Towel!!!

The seasons over.

We have Hill as our starting QB. We will suck with him. No championship. Start Nate Davis because he will be better, or even Alex Smith. Hill is just a below average QB with NO FUTURE, we are destined for DOOM!

Use or first pick on a QB and get another one in FA next year. DUMP HILL!

Lol, that is a perversion of my view, to say the least.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:

You're absolutely right. I don't know what the front office is thinking. We need to trade for Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady, or Drew Brees right now. You say you're no football expert, but you're being way too humble. I think the 49ers should hire you right now.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Results are what matter. The team doesn't have a true QB leader other than Hill. He gets the job done and the offense responds to his leadership and passion for the game. Once Hill starts falling on his face and causes this team to have a losing record all you haters can come out and complain. Until then, shut it.

"Results" is an ambiguous word. You could be referring to wins versus losses, but that's technically more of a team result than a strictly quarterback result. Maybe not in week 1, but I have a feeling you or I could have quarterbacked the Niners to the W today.

In terms of quarterback-specific indicators, Hill's "results" are exactly what I am taking issue with.

The results I like are Wins. If that means not turning over the ball and moving the chains, I don't care if he doesn't throws for 300+ yards and 3tds. Go be a Saints fan if you're so unhappy with our QB.
The only thing this guy does is win and people still can't accept him. Hill is what he is. He's limited in a lot of areas - arm strength, pocket awareness. But he makes up for those deficiencies with his resolve, game managing abilities and his leadership.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
So let me get this straight.

To everyone in this thread who has treated me like s*** for suggesting Hill is a below average quarterback: do you feel Hill can win us a championship?

That's really all I'm asking. Even if the answer is no, I agree that doesn't necessitate we bench him tomorrow. Now that we have throttled our two main rivals, I am just expressing my concern that this team will be good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to do any damage.

A lot of us are excited about our options in next year's draft. With two picks, we'll probably be in a position to make a move for a franchise quarterback. The only problem is that doesn't help us at all in this year's playoffs, plus I'm sick and tired of rooting for draft position.

I can't shake the feeling that almost every single team in the NFL has a better starting QB than we do. Sure, we're 2-0, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't also be 2-0 with Alex Smith or Nate Davis or Joey freaking Harrington behind center.

So, are there no QBs out there who could be had for a mid-round pick that would at least boost the potential potency of our offense? Any love for Derek Anderson out there now that the Quinn era has begun in Cleveland? Remember, he led the Browns to 10-6 a couple years ago. Does Kellen Clemens still have any potential now that Sanchez has been given the reigns in New York?

Other ideas?

Shaun Hill is the best QB on the roster. There's nothing else to be said. Have you seen Alex Smith play?

Did you read to the end of the post you quoted? I was talking about QBs not on the roster.

No I didn't read the entire post...it was a little too ridiculous to merit that.

Anyway, what you're asking is unrealistic and not thought out. Where are we going to find a QB to replace Hill? We're going to trade for one? Yea, because starting QBs are just traded for during the season? C'mon man, just look back to any NFL season and you'll see that this type of thing doesn't happen. The QB needs to be acclimated to the offense...learn the playbook, learn the timing of the WRs, all that stuff. QBs don't just step in and start playing for a team. We're not trading for a QB unless one gets hurt. If this were the off season it'd be a different deal but obviously it's not.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dublniklz:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:

You're absolutely right. I don't know what the front office is thinking. We need to trade for Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady, or Drew Brees right now. You say you're no football expert, but you're being way too humble. I think the 49ers should hire you right now.

This is why I brought up the two wins and how they impact our QB position. We've been sort of searching for "the guy" for several years now, and part of me hopes the front office isn't sitting around thinking "Shaun Hill is 2-0 this year and is still relatively young; let's not consider QB a need anymore."

I just don't think he's that caliber of QB.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Schulzy:
The only thing this guy does is win and people still can't accept him. Hill is what he is. He's limited in a lot of areas - arm strength, pocket awareness. But he makes up for those deficiencies with his resolve, game managing abilities and his leadership.

Repeating this argument over and over and over again doesn't make it any stronger in my book. The 49ers won today, not just Shaun Hill.

I don't mean to sound whiny and sophomoric, but I'd be fine with it if only the few people who have responded to this thread thoughtfully and courteously continued responding. I welcome disagreement and I welcome being corrected, but I could do without the constant insults.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
So let me get this straight.

To everyone in this thread who has treated me like s*** for suggesting Hill is a below average quarterback: do you feel Hill can win us a championship?

That's really all I'm asking. Even if the answer is no, I agree that doesn't necessitate we bench him tomorrow. Now that we have throttled our two main rivals, I am just expressing my concern that this team will be good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to do any damage.

A lot of us are excited about our options in next year's draft. With two picks, we'll probably be in a position to make a move for a franchise quarterback. The only problem is that doesn't help us at all in this year's playoffs, plus I'm sick and tired of rooting for draft position.

I can't shake the feeling that almost every single team in the NFL has a better starting QB than we do. Sure, we're 2-0, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't also be 2-0 with Alex Smith or Nate Davis or Joey freaking Harrington behind center.

So, are there no QBs out there who could be had for a mid-round pick that would at least boost the potential potency of our offense? Any love for Derek Anderson out there now that the Quinn era has begun in Cleveland? Remember, he led the Browns to 10-6 a couple years ago. Does Kellen Clemens still have any potential now that Sanchez has been given the reigns in New York?

Other ideas?

Shaun Hill is the best QB on the roster. There's nothing else to be said. Have you seen Alex Smith play?

Did you read to the end of the post you quoted? I was talking about QBs not on the roster.

No I didn't read the entire post...it was a little too ridiculous to merit that.

Anyway, what you're asking is unrealistic and not thought out. Where are we going to find a QB to replace Hill? We're going to trade for one? Yea, because starting QBs are just traded for during the season? C'mon man, just look back to any NFL season and you'll see that this type of thing doesn't happen. The QB needs to be acclimated to the offense...learn the playbook, learn the timing of the WRs, all that stuff. QBs don't just step in and start playing for a team. We're not trading for a QB unless one gets hurt. If this were the off season it'd be a different deal but obviously it's not.

You have a good point about QB not being a position where you can just acquire someone and expect them to play on the fly. I hadn't thought of it that way.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
So three or four people have called me out for saying I'm not a football expert.

Is being a football expert a requirement for being a 49er fan or for posting on this board? Would it be better if I attempted to pass myself off as a football expert?

Look, guys, just trying to have a discussion here. Not looking to ruffle any feathers.

well you ruffle feathers with the word but....... winning just isn't enough for some people it seems...
your name says it all, your just a towel boy, stop making rediculous threads
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
So let me get this straight.

To everyone in this thread who has treated me like s*** for suggesting Hill is a below average quarterback: do you feel Hill can win us a championship?

That's really all I'm asking. Even if the answer is no, I agree that doesn't necessitate we bench him tomorrow. Now that we have throttled our two main rivals, I am just expressing my concern that this team will be good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to do any damage.

A lot of us are excited about our options in next year's draft. With two picks, we'll probably be in a position to make a move for a franchise quarterback. The only problem is that doesn't help us at all in this year's playoffs, plus I'm sick and tired of rooting for draft position.

I can't shake the feeling that almost every single team in the NFL has a better starting QB than we do. Sure, we're 2-0, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't also be 2-0 with Alex Smith or Nate Davis or Joey freaking Harrington behind center.

So, are there no QBs out there who could be had for a mid-round pick that would at least boost the potential potency of our offense? Any love for Derek Anderson out there now that the Quinn era has begun in Cleveland? Remember, he led the Browns to 10-6 a couple years ago. Does Kellen Clemens still have any potential now that Sanchez has been given the reigns in New York?

Other ideas?

Shaun Hill is the best QB on the roster. There's nothing else to be said. Have you seen Alex Smith play?

Did you read to the end of the post you quoted? I was talking about QBs not on the roster.

No I didn't read the entire post...it was a little too ridiculous to merit that.

Anyway, what you're asking is unrealistic and not thought out. Where are we going to find a QB to replace Hill? We're going to trade for one? Yea, because starting QBs are just traded for during the season? C'mon man, just look back to any NFL season and you'll see that this type of thing doesn't happen. The QB needs to be acclimated to the offense...learn the playbook, learn the timing of the WRs, all that stuff. QBs don't just step in and start playing for a team. We're not trading for a QB unless one gets hurt. If this were the off season it'd be a different deal but obviously it's not.

You have a good point about QB not being a position where you can just acquire someone and expect them to play on the fly. I hadn't thought of it that way.

no reason to trade or replace the guy that's gone 9-3 with this team...if you're looking for an air attack be a fan of the patriots bill bellicheat loves to toss the long ball....this team is straight smash mouth football now...


if it ain't broken...why fix it.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
So let me get this straight.

To everyone in this thread who has treated me like s*** for suggesting Hill is a below average quarterback: do you feel Hill can win us a championship?

That's really all I'm asking. Even if the answer is no, I agree that doesn't necessitate we bench him tomorrow. Now that we have throttled our two main rivals, I am just expressing my concern that this team will be good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to do any damage.

A lot of us are excited about our options in next year's draft. With two picks, we'll probably be in a position to make a move for a franchise quarterback. The only problem is that doesn't help us at all in this year's playoffs, plus I'm sick and tired of rooting for draft position.

I can't shake the feeling that almost every single team in the NFL has a better starting QB than we do. Sure, we're 2-0, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't also be 2-0 with Alex Smith or Nate Davis or Joey freaking Harrington behind center.

So, are there no QBs out there who could be had for a mid-round pick that would at least boost the potential potency of our offense? Any love for Derek Anderson out there now that the Quinn era has begun in Cleveland? Remember, he led the Browns to 10-6 a couple years ago. Does Kellen Clemens still have any potential now that Sanchez has been given the reigns in New York?

Other ideas?

Shaun Hill is the best QB on the roster. There's nothing else to be said. Have you seen Alex Smith play?

Did you read to the end of the post you quoted? I was talking about QBs not on the roster.

No I didn't read the entire post...it was a little too ridiculous to merit that.

Anyway, what you're asking is unrealistic and not thought out. Where are we going to find a QB to replace Hill? We're going to trade for one? Yea, because starting QBs are just traded for during the season? C'mon man, just look back to any NFL season and you'll see that this type of thing doesn't happen. The QB needs to be acclimated to the offense...learn the playbook, learn the timing of the WRs, all that stuff. QBs don't just step in and start playing for a team. We're not trading for a QB unless one gets hurt. If this were the off season it'd be a different deal but obviously it's not.

You have a good point about QB not being a position where you can just acquire someone and expect them to play on the fly. I hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm not sold on Hill but I think he's a lot better than his critics think. Today he wasn't asked to do much, and well, he didn't. I just think for now, we have to stick with what we got. Also, if we were to trade for a QB, it'd put Hill in a precarious situation. If Hill gets hurt, I could definitely see us making a move, though.

There is ONE guy who could fit what you're asking...Jeff Garcia.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Results are what matter. The team doesn't have a true QB leader other than Hill. He gets the job done and the offense responds to his leadership and passion for the game. Once Hill starts falling on his face and causes this team to have a losing record all you haters can come out and complain. Until then, shut it.

"Results" is an ambiguous word. You could be referring to wins versus losses, but that's technically more of a team result than a strictly quarterback result. Maybe not in week 1, but I have a feeling you or I could have quarterbacked the Niners to the W today.

In terms of quarterback-specific indicators, Hill's "results" are exactly what I am taking issue with.

The results I like are Wins. If that means not turning over the ball and moving the chains, I don't care if he doesn't throws for 300+ yards and 3tds. Go be a Saints fan if you're so unhappy with our QB.

Not once have I said anything about wanting Hill's numbers to be more impressive.

I will attempt to use Brett Favre as an example. Now, I haven't had a chance to watch much of either Vikings game, so take this with a grain of salt. But from the looks of it, his numbers have been very conservative. Very few yards, three TDs, no picks in two victories. Not many shots down field either.

But I have a strong feeling that if I watched Favre play right now, I would note the conservativeness but I wouldn't see deficiencies general awareness and QB ability.

Being a "game manager who just wins" and a gunslinger who bombs for 300 yards are not polar opposites, and a great quarterback and belong to either group. Take Ben Roethlisberger. Gamer? Check. Strong arm? Check. Gaudy stats? Rarely. Wins? Yup.

Obviously, Big Ben is not available, nor is anyone like him. I am simply trying to think of a way to explain that it is possible to criticize Hill's QB play without it being his lack of yards that I am criticizing.