There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

These wins are great, but

• TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Hill is the best QB on our team, right now. If somebody comes along that's better, he'll be playing instead of Shaun.

That sounds reasonable. But would you go as far as me, and suggest we should go looking for one now?
Hill is what 9-3 as a starter come on while he may not be flashy at QB at least he doesn't give the game away IE Tony Romo (sorry couldn't resist)

Singletary is building this team very much like the Ravens during their SB season with T Dilfer (I know he was pathetic with us), in that he wants a QB who can manage the game, win the Field poss. battle, not make costly mistakes(INT/fumbles), and allow Gore and the Defense to shoulder the game.

S Hill has lots of room for improvement, but I wouldn't put high expectations on him to be the difference maker for us on a weekly basis.

We are 2-0 vs division rivals!! This should be a night of celebration!! Not complaining because he didnt score you a ton of fantasy points.

Go Niners
[ Edited by 9erfreak on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:23 PM ]
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
First of all, enough with the fantasy football jokes. Do I play fantasy football? Sure. You'll be pleased to know I don't have Hill, however. As I tried to make perfectly clear (for instance, by completely leaving "numbers" out of my original post), my opinion was based purely on my own observations.

Second, I get what you all are saying with the record, but it's a very weak argument. Great quarterbacks can be the cause of wins, but it's a fallacy to reverse it. Wins in and of themselves don't determine that you, in fact, have a great quarterback in place. In my humble opinion based on watching both games, we won in spite of having a below average quarterback at the helm. When the going gets tough, and we need him to come through, I have a strong suspicion he will come up well short.
no need for alex smith..

Hill is doing just fine
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by oscarug:
Hill is doing just fine

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I was wondering if you could elaborate. Under certain, circumstances, a 2-0 start would be more than enough to convince me we have a stud under center. But these games have just not done that. I very often feel he's just not making plays he should be making. We've done a pretty good job on defense and in the running game (today, at least) overcoming this, but it doesn't give me a ton of confidence as we attempt to move from a pretender to a contender.

Look, ball control/defense/running football is legit. A lot of great teams have won a lot of games that way. I'm not looking to change the style of the offense and start airing it out. Like I said in a previous post, I just don't feel Hill is a quarterback that will be able to step up if we ever need a comeback or a late-game drive to close things out.

Am I really alone here?
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
I just don't feel Hill is a quarterback that will be able to step up if we ever need a comeback or a late-game drive to close things out.

You mean like the 80 yard drive he had in the Arizona game last week to win?

Or the comeback he led last year against the Rams?
Iam so sick of the oh he wins bulls**t. He's play 2 very very s**tty games. His gw drive last sunday should have have been stopped 2 f**king times because he threw into double and triple coverage. He has no pocket awarness what so ever and a god awfl throwing motion at least 2 of his passes get batted down at the line a game. He gets rattled wayy to easy and just runs into his teamates. If it was for the d lastweek and the d and gore this week people would be callin for the guys head. Next week will definatly show hills weaknesses. I lve gore but seattle was all banged up on d you take a good d like arizona was that can wrap up and tackle and they stack the box were f**ked. Yes I'm very excited about the team wins but my doubts are still there when we take the lead we just go into prevent mode on offense its lame good teams attack. Seriously though hill didn't look to much better than smith and smith looked crappy to. I've lost faith in alex but imo this team would be better off with alex. Hill has done nothing to impress me so far. He doesn't even look at all his wrs he needs to learn to turn his god damn head
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:35 PM ]
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits. He has absolutely horrendous pocket awareness; sometimes he literally sacks himself by running into people, and he flashes the football right at the pass rushers he doesn't know are there. His accuracy is very hit or miss, usually miss. What limited production he does muster comes mostly from screens to Gore and Davis.

He's had one or two throws a game so far that have made me raise an eyebrow (impressed), but they can't overshadow the fact that he's a well below average NFL quarterback. I'm pretty torn about this season now. I'd be so thrilled for us to finally win another division title, but I don't think we'd have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs.

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Supposedly, what Hill has going for him is that he's a "gamer" and he "manages the game" and he has an impressive record in a limited sample. Well, Smith has had his moments too. He had a "gamer" comeback against the Cardinals a couple years ago that had everyone buzzing about the second coming.

But I digress. If Smith is really and truly a bust, we need to get serious about 2009 success and trade for a quarterback.

exactly so be quiet & enjoy the victory's STOP
complaning when we are posting up W's

jjeeeeeeezzz!!!!
"WE ARE NOT A CHARITY" = a QB who can manage the game and give up stupid game changing turnovers.

S Hill is doing what is expected of him, even more so in some cases, I really dont understand what more you can expect from the guy.
[ Edited by 9erfreak on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:36 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Hill is the best QB on our team, right now. If somebody comes along that's better, he'll be playing instead of Shaun.

That sounds reasonable. But would you go as far as me, and suggest we should go looking for one now?

There is nobody out there, right now, that's better than Shaun. He gives us the best chance to win. He has a rapport with this team and system. As far as next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nate Davis get the nod. His presence on the field amazes me. He just knows when and how to get rid of it.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits. He has absolutely horrendous pocket awareness; sometimes he literally sacks himself by running into people, and he flashes the football right at the pass rushers he doesn't know are there. His accuracy is very hit or miss, usually miss. What limited production he does muster comes mostly from screens to Gore and Davis.

He's had one or two throws a game so far that have made me raise an eyebrow (impressed), but they can't overshadow the fact that he's a well below average NFL quarterback. I'm pretty torn about this season now. I'd be so thrilled for us to finally win another division title, but I don't think we'd have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs.

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Supposedly, what Hill has going for him is that he's a "gamer" and he "manages the game" and he has an impressive record in a limited sample. Well, Smith has had his moments too. He had a "gamer" comeback against the Cardinals a couple years ago that had everyone buzzing about the second coming.

But I digress. If Smith is really and truly a bust, we need to get serious about 2009 success and trade for a quarterback.

exactly so be quiet & enjoy the victory's STOP
complaning when we are posting up W's

jjeeeeeeezzz!!!!

And the sad reality of that is people don't want to admit the fact that when we play a good team who knows how to score and play d we are in big trouble with hill and raye.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
So three or four people have called me out for saying I'm not a football expert.

Is being a football expert a requirement for being a 49er fan or for posting on this board? Would it be better if I attempted to pass myself off as a football expert?

Look, guys, just trying to have a discussion here. Not looking to ruffle any feathers.
Hill was 19/26 and had Bruce drop 2 passes as well as Vernon drop one easy one. so it could've been 22/26

I don't know where yall get "hit or miss....more miss"

on the start of the 4qtr he helped drive down the field and took 9+ minutes off the clock.... 9 f'n minutes...

it must've been very frustrating for Seattle's offense to just sit and watch from the sideline, as the game slipped away
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:46 PM ]
  • wolfpack219
  • Info N/A
I have gotta say I don't understand the hate for Hill from a lot of you fans. Hill has come out supported his teammates and organization. He is winning games which last time I checked is what gets you championships. I haven't heard of teams being cut from the playoffs because the QB has a funny release or 3 step drop lol! Give him a break! We are winning games and regardless if he is throwing side arm, underarm or farting the ball down the field for scores "I want winners!" So if you can't enjoy the fact that we are winning games right now then I feel sorry for you because Joe Montanas and Steve Youngs don't just fall from the sky. You will be pissed for many years to come my friends. Go Hill and show all these band wagon fans to kiss your unsymmetrical ass and keep winning!
This is where I say,'' You are not a football ....expert.''