LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 359 users in the forums

These wins are great, but

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits. He has absolutely horrendous pocket awareness; sometimes he literally sacks himself by running into people, and he flashes the football right at the pass rushers he doesn't know are there. His accuracy is very hit or miss, usually miss. What limited production he does muster comes mostly from screens to Gore and Davis.

He's had one or two throws a game so far that have made me raise an eyebrow (impressed), but they can't overshadow the fact that he's a well below average NFL quarterback. I'm pretty torn about this season now. I'd be so thrilled for us to finally win another division title, but I don't think we'd have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs.

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Supposedly, what Hill has going for him is that he's a "gamer" and he "manages the game" and he has an impressive record in a limited sample. Well, Smith has had his moments too. He had a "gamer" comeback against the Cardinals a couple years ago that had everyone buzzing about the second coming.

But I digress. If Smith is really and truly a bust, we need to get serious about 2009 success and trade for a quarterback.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • eddie23
  • Info N/A
I've seen what both Smith and Hill can do... and believe me, I'd rather keep Hill in there.
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Chief:

That was a troll post, really?
He is also 6-0 at home. If you like to win Hill is good, if you want pretty and stats, Hill is not your man.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
Originally posted by Chief:

That was a troll post, really?

IMO yes, but that is only an opinion.
[ Edited by Chief on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits. He has absolutely horrendous pocket awareness; sometimes he literally sacks himself by running into people, and he flashes the football right at the pass rushers he doesn't know are there. His accuracy is very hit or miss, usually miss. What limited production he does muster comes mostly from screens to Gore and Davis.

He's had one or two throws a game so far that have made me raise an eyebrow (impressed), but they can't overshadow the fact that he's a well below average NFL quarterback. I'm pretty torn about this season now. I'd be so thrilled for us to finally win another division title, but I don't think we'd have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs.

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill. Supposedly, what Hill has going for him is that he's a "gamer" and he "manages the game" and he has an impressive record in a limited sample. Well, Smith has had his moments too. He had a "gamer" comeback against the Cardinals a couple years ago that had everyone buzzing about the second coming.

But I digress. If Smith is really and truly a bust, we need to get serious about 2009 success and trade for a quarterback.

Hey Towelboy...we're 2-0 under Hill. His job isn't statistics or fantasy football it's wins and that means he's doing his job...
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill.

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,
i agree on the knocks on hill. esp the pocket awareness and holding the ball too long, but this is his 13th(i think) start. he's still relatively inexperienced. he will get better as the OL gels and as Raye gets more confidence in him.
Case in point, last week when we were backed up to our goal line, raye calls 3 run plays and we punt. This week, and i know its not THAT much better, but in the same situation, he calls a pass and Hill dumps it to norris who gets a 1st down.
Also i agree with his pros, he manages the game well and made enough plays to win the game.

Except for the 3rd quarters...Hill is playing well...maybe we should just play Alex or Taser in the 3rd from now on....
  • eddie23
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by crzy:
I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to believe that Alex Smith is actually worse than Hill.

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

I'm no football expert,

Hill is the best QB on our team, right now. If somebody comes along that's better, he'll be playing instead of Shaun.
How does that old saying go?

"No good deed goes unpunished"?

Sure, Hill isn't pretty but you can't argue with his results. You can say he won the Cards game with his long drive in the 4th quarter. You can also say he didn't win this game for us either - Gore and the defense won this game. Then again, Hill did nothing to beat us. I can live with Hill and the wins until our next franchise QB presents himself.
6-0 at home 9-3 overall as a starter.

They said the same thing about Eli Manning.

I'm in no way shape or form , before I get flamed by a thousand noobs, comparing Hill to Eli, but Eli doesn't ''act'' like a star QB.

Hell, his teammates pre Super Bowl win called him Forrest (Gump).
they are letting Hill keep his job longer than he merits.

We don't have anyone that will do a better job. Alex Smith certainly will not. I'm not against letting Nate Davis play, but a lot of people on here think he can't do it based on the fact that Alex Smith couldn't do it as a rookie (I know, dumb argument, right).

They are not "letting" Hill keep his job. Nobody else is good enough to take over and make much of a difference (in a positive way) at the moment. That's why Hill is still in there.
Share 49ersWebzone