There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Regarding Jimmy Raye after WEEK 2...

Regarding Jimmy Raye after WEEK 2...

I hope & believe that Raye's playcalling will get better. It is gonna have to step up this week against the Vikings if we want to win.
Yay...

J-Ray called a pretty good game and provided answers to the problems from Week one... I also like the Taser formation calls; this is forcing future teams to prepare for one more thing when they play us.

So, for me, J-Ray Week 2 =
still some head scratchers, but overall I thought he called a nice game. We obviously addressed some issues from week 1, and we need to continue to improve. He showed this week to not be as stubborn as we feared he would be after last week, and that is an indication that we will continue to progress. so far I would say without hesitation "Yay."
Give Raye a break...he's their 7th OC in as many seasons. He'll open up his playbook more as the season wears on. Obviously, he felt Seattle was suspect against the run...and after Singletary lit into the OL, he also knew they'd come back with a vengeance. Hill will get his opportunities...Singletary's not happy with the pass blocking...so, that'll have to tighten up before Raye calls more passing plays. All in good time...we're 2-0, enjoy it. Whether you win by 3 pts or 30, it doesn't count any more in the standings.
You have to take into account the limitation placed on the offense by who we have at QB. I can't complain about the results, but there is going to come a game where we will need the QB to win the game for us again, Hill managed to against AZ, but can he do it on a consistent basis...who knows?
Originally posted by valrod33:
f**k the wildcat its such a p***y play it doesnt f**king work throw that page of the playbook. I cant even begin to explain how much i hate the f**king wildcat

same here
I feel people enjoy high scoring games that will boost madden ratings vs. winning games with defense and ball control.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
f**k the wildcat its such a p***y play it doesnt f**king work throw that page of the playbook. I cant even begin to explain how much i hate the f**king wildcat

same here

Good thing we run the Taser then, right?
I thought Jimmy Raye brought up a VERY important point after yesterday's game -- and I was wondering how many of you caught it.

It was an eye-opener to me. It's something that I hadn't even considered -- but you know what?

Jimmy Raye is dead on right.

His observation went something like this: Yes -- he knows that opposing defenses are going to stack eight in the box to stop Gore. He knows that sometimes the defense will bring ten into that box. And it's all designed to do one thing: STOP THE RUN.

But the point he made after that -- which really opened my eyes is this: What if the offensive line does its job and they get a hat or a hand on all eight players? How many are left downfield if Gore breaks into the open?

If you guessed "precious few," you won the prize

And that is exactly what happened with Gore's two long TD runs yesterday. Once Frank got eight yards into the D -- he was GONE. Daylight City! Run for the House! FRANK THE SPEED TANK! Touchdown!

You see -- I didn't even think about that once in my consideration of eight in the box or nine in the box. And I suddenly realized that defenses are taking at BIG GAMBLE by putting that many guys up front. It's as big a gamble as one-on-one coverage on the outside -- because if Frank gets loose -- kiss him goodbye on his way to the land of Quick Six.

If Frank busts another couple of long gainers next weekend -- you might see that eight man front slide back a bit. Our offensive line kicked the crud out of that defense yesterday.
Everyone should know that when you stack it in the box you are going to get burned if he breaks it.

However there are times when its 2nd and 3 or less that if they stack 8 or nine in the box (especially 9), you take a shot down field. Why? To loosen that box-break 3 players out two TE and WR or Two WR and a TE or whatever, and do a fade or quick slant-then who is going to stop them since so many are in the box-

I don't mind the running, cause you are wering them thin physically, but when you take advantage of the boxed with a pass situation you are going also take them mentally. Jerry sullivan is supposed to be a good coach, but watching some of the other games you see a wr selling a curl or a run block only to turn upfield and the db has his pants down on his ankles.

As for the taser-in order for that to work-you need some serious voltage-spurlock is like a 9 volt dc battery when we need a 120V ac source to shock the cra@ out of someone. Maybe let the qb davis do it-he is big and strong enough to run and we know he can throw better than spur-plus its a good way to ease him into game situations-which is good for the future.
Am I the only one who thought Spurlock messed up the wildcat/taser play? He had room to run AND overthrows the reciever.
Originally posted by Dino:
Originally posted by dhp318:
shovel passes and wildcat needs to stop.
Ok I thought the playcalling was better, but man there were some real headscratchers.

Btw, I think the best playcall for Jimmy Raye was the handoff to Norris that went for 15. It was setup perfectly after they ran that pitch to Gore to the weakside a couple of times.
watch the Lb's react to the fake toss, just beautiful

I love Singletarys smile after the play.
[ Edited by Thorhawk on Sep 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
if he were stripped of play calling duties who would get the nod?

This guy.

Tell the Dolphins that! The fact that we cant do it doesnt mean it doesnt work.