There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is this year's 2-0 start different than '07's

Big difference. These 2 wins it felt like we were the stronger better team. 07 felt like we just got by.
Yea its a big diff, we are heading in the right direction now, back then we didnt have a plan or goals
Without a doubt. Two division wins against the defending NFC champs and a team that was supposed to be the co-favorite to win the division. All that said, this team still has not been dominant and the Coach is making sure that no one gets complacent because of that fact. If the Niners can pull off a big road win against a good team like the Vikings, that would really be something.....
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by krizay:
Very similar in my eyes. With the exception of the defense being better. In both games we only managed 2 real drives. Resulted in 14 points versus Cards and 6 points versus Seahawks.

If we can't get anything out of the passing on a consistant basis. We aren't going anywhere. I think we are a Crabtree signing and a good QB and RT away from being a playoff team.

This team just isn't good enough offensively in my mind. We can't expect Gore to rush for 200 yards every game or have the opposing team commit 12 penalties.

2-0 is great but we have alot of work left to do. We have a few pieces that needs to be put in place.

Pretty sure we didn't expect Gore to do that...if he didn't then its a different game

Good post.
ill first test comes sun vs vikings
  • titan
  • Veteran
We'll find out this Sunday! I want to see how we measure up to a team like the Vikings and hopefully we win! If not I need to see the mental mind set of our team after a loss. That being said I don't think we are the same, we have more Vets and we already know that we are a running team. I think in 07 we were hoping for Alex Smith to save us!
[ Edited by titan on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:43 AM ]
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Better leadership at the coaching position. Better defense and scheme. Better players. Period. I think we're for real this year. Singletary is the real deal - experience or not.

Completely agree
This is a MUCH better team, our defense is playing much much better, were seeing a solid effort this time around, and maybe we would have fared better back in 07 if Nolan would have went with Hill a little earlier rather than watch a slow, dead in the pocket , washed up QB try to win games for us, it was torture having to sit through a niners game with Dilfer at QB, and I'm sure a lot of zoners share that same opinion.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
no doubt in my mind 09 is different...this team has a heart
I say yes...

After 2-0 this year, I feel we have a shot to beat the Mini-Vikings. In 07, I didn't think we stood a chance against Pit..

Go Niners!
Remember during the years with Nolan when adjustments that were needed or issues that needed to be corrected rarely happened? Remember when our short yardage game was terrible and Nolan couldn't figure it out or when our OC was not getting the ball to Vernon and Nolan couldn't figure it out or in almost any situation where there were problems and it was never fixed until game 8 or something?

Well, we had issues running the ball and it was addressed. We have had issues rushing the passer and it was addressed. In the Arizona game, the gameplan was to run and we adjusted when needed.

Under Singletary, problems get addressed immediately: see Pashos coming in for Snyder IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME.

So yes, we are much better this year. However, we are 2-0 and have already been here before. Let's go somewhere we haven't gone in a long time.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Remember during the years with Nolan when adjustments that were needed or issues that needed to be corrected rarely happened? Remember when our short yardage game was terrible and Nolan couldn't figure it out or when our OC was not getting the ball to Vernon and Nolan couldn't figure it out or in almost any situation where there were problems and it was never fixed until game 8 or something?

Well, we had issues running the ball and it was addressed. We have had issues rushing the passer and it was addressed. In the Arizona game, the gameplan was to run and we adjusted when needed.

Under Singletary, problems get addressed immediately: see Pashos coming in for Snyder IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME.

So yes, we are much better this year. However, we are 2-0 and have already been here before. Let's go somewhere we haven't gone in a long time.

Yes, and if you can remember back in '07 Nolan seemed very content with just being 2-0. After the press conferences for both games, reporters would ask about issues on the team needing to be addressed and Nolan would basically reply, "Why is everyone complaining? We won!" As opposed to Singletary who is constatnly striving to find ways to be better at every facet of the game.
I remember last time we were 2-0... when we fell to 2-5 I went out to my back porch and yelled, "Niners! You have forsaken me!"… Seriously.

Fells like more negative talk this 2-0 start though.

We’ve been bad for so long, lower-mediocrity has been home sweet home. Now that things are starting to look good again, our guard is up and we’re pushing and spitting on everything.

First it was our pash rush. “We don’t have one!” …Niners D-line shows up big in week one. Then, what about our rushing… Gore get 207 against Sea-Squwaks - even Neon Deion puts him at #1 this week. Now, freaking out about our pass offense…

I was so turned off by the negativity that I went to the Vikings forums to find Niner hope in the bashing of their own team. And there I found something very interesting.

Vikings fans are sooo uneasy, skeptical and critical with the devil dressed in purple behind center. Just as much with a game managing QB and an all-pro-type running back strategy.

Vikings first home game is coming with a lot of baggage. Direct quotes from forums (Purplepride.org and purple-pride.com)…

- “I just hope Farve doesn’t break the interception record again.”
- “If we’re going to win this season, we’re going to have to be on the road, farve can’t win in the dome.”
- “Farve looked good, but I don’t think he cares and I know he doesn’t bleed purple.”
- “If something happens to AP we’re screwed.”
- “State I can’t believe [from last week] deepest pass, 14 yards.”
- “San Francisco has a good rush defense. Farve has to do more.”

Their fans are just itching to turn south and I could see them boo Farve if he doesn’t perform. The Niners could pull the bottom out of Vikingland.

I’m hopping Willy gets a Pic-6 and stiff-arms Farve on the way into the endzone – One and for all ending his career.

P.S. I've been a daily webzone frequenter for nearly 2 years now, but, I've never signed up until today. Until now, I've just read the news articles and scrolled through the forums. Got to say, some of the best inside 49ers news and thoughts come out of this forum. You guys always catch good interviews and a lot of you go to the games and notice things that the mainstream media misses or is afraid to say. Never thought I’d write on this, but all the pessimism and Hill doubt was seriously getting to me. My Niner season prediction, 19-0 and a 49-0 Super Bowl shutout.
where do you get the crazy smilies?
[ Edited by pannin4gold on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

Exactly!!

And if you see the Taser sh*t-canned, you know what happened.
The 49ers were 2-0 in 2007 under coach Mike Nolan but lost their next eight games.

"I don't really want to compare to 2-0 now and 2-0 (two years ago)," said Singletary, who replaced Nolan on an interim basis for the final nine games in 2008. "This team, we're just going to continue to work, and we're going to continue to get better. And, we'll stay together. Whatever comes out of that, I think the end result will be good."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview?gameId=290927016
[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM ]