There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Adrian Peterson said about Gore

• 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by westcoastchamps:
just wanted to say AP is runing behind the same line s.Alexander had in seattle when he broke records and he sucked so that said gore would have the same kinda yards and TDs imo

While any back could get 1000 yards behind Steve Hutchinson Adrian Peterson is a different kind of animal.I mean Jesus Christ when he kicks it in to second gear
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Obviously Mr.Peterson hasn't been watching football for about a season and a half.

He has a lot of respect for how Frank runs and for all he's overcome with injuries. Peterson said Gore is one of the top backs in the league.

Peterson is THE top back in the league.

by far

How is that a knock on Gore? If the top back in the league says Frank is one of the top backs, then that's props.

Nobody says its knock, I was just pointing that out. Its good that Gore is recognized but he is not what he was in 2006.

That's easy-right now he doesn't have a couple of maulers(LA/JJ)leading the way for him.

exactly. peterson has what gore had in 06. train tracks on the left side of the line. they can run left on 80% of hteir snaps and prbably still get yards, that is how good they are.
He didnt happen to say his favorite LB was P. Willis by any chance?
  • B650
  • Veteran
I think they should give Coffee more carries to keep Gore fresh.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Bring in Minnesotas Oline to SF and Gore will be a top 3 back again (numbers wise).. skill wise, i still think Gore is a top 3

Doubt it. Peterson breaks tackle after tackle practically every game, Gore does it ONCE in awhile, and I'm talking about taking it to the house.

Then look up the stats for RB's for the last 4yrs and Frank is #3 or #4

As for Gore "breaking tackles ONCE in awhile" is just plain ignorance,except for the last game he breaks tackle alot-even in Madden

What makes Peterson better than Frank(not by much)is his break away speed which Frank lacks and a better OL as the above post mentioned.Furthermore Frank has defeated 8-9 in the box before-I'm not sure if AP has or not because I haven't seen his games in full.

ZACTLY Though it was his Rookie year. Peterson got manhandled by Bam Bam.

I can't remember a game where Frank got held to as little yardage by one guy.

I will say that AP is at the top right now, but we'll see how he fares against Patrick "Bam Bam" Willis this season. Cause I'm looking forward to that game. My fantasy opponent that week has AP in his lineup.

~Ceadder

So can we solely blame Patrick Willis for giving 100 yards to Chester Taylor then?
[ Edited by Ether on Sep 19, 2009 at 2:52 AM ]
Originally posted by B650:
I think they should give Coffee more carries to keep Gore fresh.

I think they should block him b/c running back is our most talented offensive position and if we cant run we shall be doomed.
Bring in Minnesotas Oline to SF and Gore will be a top 3 back again (numbers wise).. skill wise, i still think Gore is a top 3

Doubt it. Peterson breaks tackle after tackle practically every game, Gore does it ONCE in awhile, and I'm talking about taking it to the house.

You serious? How many times does peterson get hit in the backfield vs. how many times Gore does. Peterson didnt look like anything special when we stuffed him in the backfield all game. The Oline has to give the RB a chance and thats the big difference between the 2. Peterson has breakaway speed that Gore doesn't have but Gore is a much more polished receiver out of the backfield and great at blitz pickup. OVERALL rb Gore is a top 3-5 back considering all he can do. Thats why he gets respect
I think it´s great that Peterson shows respect to his other peers around the league and I am not that surprised that he mentioned Gore specifically.

Think about it: Sure, Frank struggled a bit the last seasons and Peterson may most likely be the better pure runner now, but Gore is a complete running back. He can run the ball and although Peterson may most likely be the better pure runner, Gore still is productive. But Frank also is a very good receiver out of the backfield and very good in pass protection (remember the Raiders scrimmage, where he manhandled linebackers much bigger than himself in those protection drills?) and I think Peterson knows you have to work hard to perfect those skills.

Also, Gore had to overcome a lot to make it this far in the NFL (think about his family and the devastating knee injuries he had in college), is a relentless worker in the offseason and an unquestioned leader on our team. I think other backs like Peterson can respect that as well.

Lastly, I think something else may be another underrated reason why Peterson enjoys watching Gore: When Frank has a big play, usually he runs into a whole bunch of defenders, runs over them, wiggles free and then runs into the endzone. He is no a breakaway-speed guy, but a running-over-them type. And I am pretty sure, other fellow running backs think those kind of plays are pretty exciting to watch. As a fan, I do not disagree
Originally posted by 5TIME49:
He didnt happen to say his favorite LB was P. Willis by any chance?

Willis absolutely owned him in that first game that they met when they were both rookies.
Originally posted by matt49er:
no surprise every player in the NFL has to respect Gore. Why wouldn't they?

Honestly....no they don't.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Then look up the stats for RB's for the last 4yrs and Frank is #3 or #4

As for Gore "breaking tackles ONCE in awhile" is just plain ignorance,except for the last game he breaks tackle alot-even in Madden

What makes Peterson better than Frank(not by much)is his break away speed which Frank lacks and a better OL as the above post mentioned.Furthermore Frank has defeated 8-9 in the box before-I'm not sure if AP has or not because I haven't seen his games in full.

ZACTLY Though it was his Rookie year. Peterson got manhandled by Bam Bam.

I can't remember a game where Frank got held to as little yardage by one guy.

I will say that AP is at the top right now, but we'll see how he fares against Patrick "Bam Bam" Willis this season. Cause I'm looking forward to that game. My fantasy opponent that week has AP in his lineup.

~Ceadder

People make a lot more out of that performance than they should. AP had pretty much hit the rookie wall at that point and Willis was only one player on that defense that contributed to holding AP to 3 yards.

As far as Gore having a game like that in the NFL he has....vs the G-Men last year. Gore had 11 yards on 11 carries and one of those carries went for 26 yards. So beyond the one big rush the Giants D managed to stuff his ass .
Originally posted by redmanc07:

You serious? How many times does peterson get hit in the backfield vs. how many times Gore does. Peterson didnt look like anything special when we stuffed him in the backfield all game. The Oline has to give the RB a chance and thats the big difference between the 2. Peterson has breakaway speed that Gore doesn't have but Gore is a much more polished receiver out of the backfield and great at blitz pickup. OVERALL rb Gore is a top 3-5 back considering all he can do. Thats why he gets respect

Peterson is not used all that much in the passing game but is just as polished as Gore. Number of catches is kind of meaningless as Taylor is usually in the game on obvious passing downs and has consistently been catching more balls because of this. Peterson already had nearly 400 total touches, if they gave him most of the passing downs he would probably be closer to 450. That's a lot of wear and tear on a RB.

If we have a RB who can prove to be able to make plays in space and show good hands the 49ers may give that role to said player (Kory Sheets could end up being that guy in time) or insert him on passing downs more often to lessen the number of total touches Gore receives.
I would trade Gore for Peterson in a heartbeat. But I wouldn't trade him for any other back.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Obviously Mr.Peterson hasn't been watching football for about a season and a half.

hater

Okay, look...Gore last season had 1,023 yards on 240 carries.

Dude, that's 4.3 yards a carry. The year before he had 4.2. He had 260 carries...

Last year, the last 4 games, gore had 420 yards...that's 105 yards/per game the last 4 games, and he killed seattle w/ 37 carries for 155 yds and 12 catches for 100 yards.

I dont know what game you guys are watching, but his ability is clearly still there. The deal is that he doesnt get the carries. Most backs are averaging over 350 carries. Portis, Peterson, and turner all had over 100 more carries than gore and neither of them averaged that much more per carry. Peterson was 4.8, turner 4.5, and portis the same as Gore.

Gore is still an elite back, probably one of the best, but because our offensive line cant get a push and because he doens't get as many carries, people think that he's declining. In all actuality it couldn't be further from the truth...

by the way, all those stats are accurate. I looked them up on ESPN's nfl page to be sure. Check it out, bro...Our Gore is still the man. We just need to give him the chance.

Also, i'm not really lashing out at you as I am you along with the many that think that gore is not an elite back.

This week will be different.

saaaaaaaay what! Those stats aren't even close to accurate.

week 12 vs Dal 14 carries 26 yards
week 13 vs Buf 24 carries 66 yards
week 14 vs jets 14 carries 52 yards
week 15 & week 16: DNP
week 17 vs Wash 11 carries 58 yards

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7241/gamelog;_ylt=AqsJB2jzVWTYmRnUmC2ynnj.uLYF?year=2008

EDIT: you were looking at his 06 numbers Brah!
[ Edited by krizay on Sep 19, 2009 at 9:03 AM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:

He has a lot of respect for how Frank runs and for all he's overcome with injuries. Peterson said Gore is one of the top backs in the league.

Peterson is THE top back in the league.

by far

How is that a knock on Gore? If the top back in the league says Frank is one of the top backs, then that's props.

Nobody says its knock, I was just pointing that out. Its good that Gore is recognized but he is not what he was in 2006.

06 gore had a man named larry beast allen....09 AP has steve bear hutch & cast

on that note...ap is still by far #1 on talent alone gore is top 5 because of his all around skills
[ Edited by GoldenIowa49er on Sep 19, 2009 at 9:16 AM ]