• Veteran
... Monte Clark dies at 72
[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:51 PM ]
R.I.P
  • flow
  • Veteran
RIP, Monte.
R.I.P.
He was a very classy individual; I'm sorry to hear this. R.I.P.
R.I.P, Coach.

I believe that Coach Clark was the HC who succeeded the first HC (Dick) Nolan, and who got a raw deal when GM Joe Thomas was brought in by Eddie D to run the show. Coach Clark was a stand-up guy. Now we are evaluating the HC who has succeeded the 2nd HC (Mike) Nolan.
RIP
Originally posted by jimbagg:
R.I.P, Coach.

I believe that Coach Clark was the HC who succeeded the first HC (Dick) Nolan, and who got a raw deal when GM Joe Thomas was brought in by Eddie D to run the show. Coach Clark was a stand-up guy. Now we are evaluating the HC who has succeeded the 2nd HC (Mike) Nolan.

You are correct. Eddie bought the team in 1976-77 and brought in Joe Thomas who promptly fired Monte Clark who in his first year had led the Niners to an 8-6 record. Clark replaced Dick Nolan who had led the Niners to two NFC Championship games but once Brodie retired and Spurrier became QB things got rough and from 1973-75 the Niners won an avg. of 5 games.

Clark was a good coach who went on to Detroit and helped the Lions make the playoffs 3 or 4 times.
R.I.P.

God Bless
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
R.I.P, Coach.

You are correct. Eddie bought the team in 1976-77 and brought in Joe Thomas who promptly fired Monte Clark who in his first year had led the Niners to an 8-6 record. Clark replaced Dick Nolan who had led the Niners to two NFC Championship games but once Brodie retired and Spurrier became QB things got rough and from 1973-75 the Niners won an avg. of 5 games.

Clark was a good coach who went on to Detroit and helped the Lions make the playoffs 3 or 4 times.

Did you also know that Joe Thomas burned our entire history of past game films of the team? Like, everything. He did it during a "motivational" speech about how the past means nothing. Most of the (very limited) footage of past Niner greats are a result of other teams' archives; ie, Gayle Sayers torching us, Wrong Way Marshall's TD/safety.

Joe is, hands down, the biggest idiot in our franchises history.

RIP Monte Clark.
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:56 PM ]

r.i.p.

btw, this should have more posts, but everyones too busy in the crabtree thread(including me), we're all retarded dumbf**ks
Not only was Monte a stand-up coach, he was quite a player for us, too. Played OT, DT, and DE...that was during the period a lot of guys played both ways. He went on to play a season w/Dallas, then six years with the Browns. He earned his place in Niner history.
respect to an old niner
Yeah, I remember Monte's year pretty well. R.I.P. Coach Clark, my prayers go out to you and your family.
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
R.I.P, Coach.

Did you also know that Joe Thomas burned our entire history of past game films of the team? Like, everything. He did it during a "motivational" speech about how the past means nothing. Most of the (very limited) footage of past Niner greats are a result of other teams' archives; ie, Gayle Sayers torching us, Wrong Way Marshall's TD/safety.

Joe is, hands down, the biggest idiot in our franchises history.

Being a history buff, I would like to kill him now.

Any coach that can get the Lions into the playoffs should be in the HOF. I remember watching on youtube recently the final drives of the '83 playoff game against the Lions, a game they lost by inches. I wonder if they might have had better luck against the Redskins (no phantom holding in the endzone?).
Share 49ersWebzone