There are 250 users in the forums

Interesting mix of notes and quotes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/SF

11:50:17 pm When told his team gave up 13 sacks in two games against the Seahawks last year, 49ers C Eric Heitmann said he doubts that will happen again because of the balanced offense they're running now. (Last year, under former coordinator Mike Martz, the Niners were pass heavy.) Hearing that stat, LT Joe Staley yelled: "Damn. I didn't think it was that many."

11:44:01 pm
After watching tape of the offensive line's performance last Sunday against Arizona, 49ers C Eric Heitmann said "it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be." He said the 49ers were an "inch here or an inch there" from springing RB Frank Gore for some big runs. "We have to move past it and learn from it," he said.
11:39:39 pm
Seahawks coach Jim Mora on what he likes about 49ers QB Shaun Hill: "He makes good decisions. He doesn't turn the ball over, doesn't make mistakes. He just knows how to win without getting a lot of hype." Mora compared him to Jeff Garcia, who is now with the Eagles.
8:16:09 pm
Seahawks coach Jim Mora gave a short scouting report on the 49ers: "One of the finest running backs in football (RB Frank Gore), one of the finest tight ends in football (TE Vernon Davis), a defense that's tenacious and two really good kickers (K Joe Nedney and P Andy Lee)," he said. Notice he didn't mention the offensive line.
8:09:21 pm
Seahawks coach Jim Mora said that when he watched film of the 49ers game against Arizona on Sunday, what jumped out was "their physical nature." He added that San Francisco made "clutch plays at the right times. Their statistics on offense were pretty ordinary, but when they needed to make a play, they made it."
8:02:47 pm
49ers FS Dashon Goldson said there's a good possibility he'll cover emerging Seahawks TE John Carlson on some plays during Sunday's game. "I can handle it," he said. The 49ers struggled against tight ends last year and during the preseason.
7:58:18 pm
49ers LB Ahmad Brooks (recovering from knee surgery), and DE Justin Smit (sore elbow) didn't practice on Wednesday. CB Marcus Hudson was limited in practice with a knee ailment. LG David Baas (biceps), DT Aubrayo Franklin (shin), WR Brandon Jones (shoulder), RG Chilo Rachal (neck), and DE Isaac Sopoaga (shoulder) were full participants.

7:49:59 pm
49ers TE Vernon Davis on the Seahawks first-round pick, LB Aaron Curry: "He looks pretty good on film, but he's just another guy, any other football player, and he can be stopped."
7:46:51 pm
49ers TE Vernon Davis said coach Mike Singletary called out the offensive line in the locker room and made it clear to them that they had to play better. "He addressed some of the guys that he wanted to step up," Davis said. "We gotta get better at running the ball."
7:17:01 pm
49ers QB Shaun Hill said it took a lot of trial and error in practice for him to hook up with WR Isaac Bruce on a 50-yard completion against Arizona. "The most important thing between a quarterback and receiver is learning their body language, learning when and where they're going to make their breaks and knowing where they're going to be," Hill said.
7:13:57 pm
49ers QB Shaun Hill said he's not allowed to audible out of runs all the time, even against eight-man fronts. He says that's OK with him because he understands that the running game isn't just about gaining yards but also keeping the clock running and wearing the defense down. "It all depends on the play and the game plan. There are so many variables in it."
7:02:57 pm
The 49ers only gained 21 yards in the opener against the Cardinals, but QB Shaun Hill expects better in Week 2. "Being at home will help us get off on the count better," he said. What he didn't say: The Seahawks don't have a DT like Darnell Dockett.

6:57:55 pm
Dusting off a Dennis Green quote, 49ers QB Shaun Hill said that the Seahawks, despite their new coach and new defensive coordinator, are "who he thought they were." He added: "Obviously, they're going to have things for us that we haven't seen. But for the most part, they are what they have been."
6:44:57 pm
49ers coach Mike Singletary said he believes his offense will be more unpredictable as the season goes on and will give opponents more things to look at on film. "I know [Seattle] will look at our film, but hopefully, going forward, there will be other film for them to look at as well. They'll see that we don't just hammer it in there all the time."
6:17:51 pm
49ers coach Mike Singletary said that he doesn't expect his team to blindly run up the middle against nine man fronts again, but he also said that San Francisco won't open it up like the Cardinals. "We'll make some adjustments, but we're still going to be stubborn and we're going to do what we do."
6:11:57 pm
49ers coach Mike Singletary said that WR Brandon Jones, who fractured the AC joint of his shoulder five weeks ago, will be back on the practice field today, but he'll be wearing a black, don't-touch-me jersey. At this point, it'd be a stretch for him to play on Sunday, since it would be two weeks ahead of schedule.
6:09:26 pm
Coach Mike Singletary said the 49ers won't have a designated cover guy for Seahawks TE John Carlson but that LB Manny Lawson might be doing it in some formations. "Coverage is all about technique," Singletary said. "It's not about speed. It's not about all that other stuff. It's about doing your technique."
6:01:18 pm
49ers coach Mike Singletary says he anticipates the Seahawks will be blitzing their defenders into the "A" gaps, meaning the gaps between 49ers C Eric Heitmann and guards LG David Baas and RG Chilo Rachal. The Seahawks don't have any DTs as good as Arizona's Darnell Dockett, so they'll need to blitz.
5:53:54 pm
49ers coach Mike Singletary singled out LG Davis Baas and RT Adam Snyder as linemen who will have to play better for the team to succeed. "This is another week for them to get under their belt. Baas missed a lot of the training camp, so his timing is a little bit off. Snyder, we just have to get back in sync."
5:39:50 pm
49ers coach Mike Singletary said his offensive line knows how to correct the mistakes they made last Sunday at Arizona. "They have to get back to the fundamentals up front (and) do a better job communicating."
Good stuff, Thanks Joe
Good info to read. Really hope our offensive line up & dominates this weekend. We have to run ball much better.
49ers FS Dashon Goldson said there's a good possibility he'll cover emerging Seahawks TE John Carlson on some plays during Sunday's game. "I can handle it," he said. The 49ers struggled against tight ends last year and during the preseason.

this is a huge match up
Originally posted by lamontb:

this is a huge match up

Personally I feel Manny would be better suited to cover Jon Carlson who is actually a very underrated player.

btw, thanks for the post joe.
[ Edited by Method on Sep 17, 2009 at 1:25 PM ]
Were getting a lot more respect from the seahawks than we did from the cards. we arent going to caach them by surprise. hopefully the niners really play well and we win our home opener.
From all those quotes, this one stood out the most...

"QB Shaun Hill said he's not allowed to audible out of runs all the time, even against eight-man fronts. He says that's OK with him because he understands that the running game isn't just about gaining yards but also keeping the clock running and wearing the defense down. "It all depends on the play and the game plan. There are so many variables in it."

I don't agree w/ it at all, although I do understand Hill's explanation. Audible to PA will keep the defense from stacking the box too often. Raye should let the QB make a change at the line or we'll see similar failure at running the ball as we did in AZ.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

"QB Shaun Hill said he's not allowed to audible out of runs all the time, even against eight-man fronts. He says that's OK with him because he understands that the running game isn't just about gaining yards but also keeping the clock running and wearing the defense down. "It all depends on the play and the game plan. There are so many variables in it."

I don't agree w/ it at all, although I do understand Hill's explanation. Audible to PA will keep the defense from stacking the box too often. Raye should let the QB make a change at the line or we'll see similar failure at running the ball as we did in AZ.

I knew it! finally some light was shed on this, so the people that were calling out Shaun, middle finger

yeah i thought that was ridiculous too though i understand the explanation. its one thing to stick to your bread and butter but completely another to be stubborn and do something that isn't working/doesn't challenge the opponent.

you've got to use some creativity. this is not 1930s nfl here......

I think you need to consider Hill's familiarity with Raye's offense and his limited experience behind center. You really can't expect everyone to know every route of every audible by week one. As Singletary stated, it's a process that will evolve as the season progresses.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

I knew it! finally some light was shed on this, so the people that were calling out Shaun, middle finger

...what does this have to do with Shaun throwing into double and triple coverage and staring down his receivers?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

...what does this have to do with Shaun throwing into double and triple coverage and staring down his receivers?

Not a thing. I would of liked them to be a little realistic with the questioning. LIke ok, what things you think shuan hill does great. thats a funny ass question. someone should ask, what do you think about what shaun cant do, or what do you think you can exploit.

Was a great read, dont get me wrong, but i like a question that looks at both sides. I dont care about the haws praising us, cause i can assure you in reality in some ways, they are saying the exact opposite of what was written and published.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Everything.
Good quotes, thanks!
Share 49ersWebzone