There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL scout weighs in on 49ers 2009 draft picks - per Kevin Lynch

Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
So in summary they think everyone will suck except Nate Davis.

-9fA

What else do you expect from Lynch.

Dude, please. It isn't Lynch's opinion. He interviewd a NFL scout.

And probably one with a bias. And IMO, a good journalist would have seeked out multiple scouts to evaluate a draft class. And if he did ask an Oakland scout, seek out a unbiased scout.
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Probably was a raiders scout he interviewd

Probably. They took him off their draft board completely. Sounds about right.

I was thinking it was the Raiders too or Cincy because of the character comment about Jean-Francois.
I'm not taking anything away from Davis' potential, but it's unbelievable how quick people are to jump to conclusions about players after such minimal evidence to go on.

This happens consistently on this board with numerous players.

During the preseason a thread suggested that Gore, Coffee and Sheets was going to be like the Giants trifecta of Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
So in summary they think everyone will suck except Nate Davis.

-9fA

What else do you expect from Lynch.

Over the last few years Lynch has been critical of the 49ers. Was he wrong? He consistently questions their O-line...is he wrong to do so? Is this team beyond criticism?
Lynch =

Lynch's articles =
For every report like this, I've read five that were very favorable. But...the real truth is, nobody will know how good this draft class is for another couple of years. The guy disses Crabtree...yet the overwhelming consensus among scouts, analysts, etc. was he was the best WR in the draft. I see Coffee replacing Gore at some point...any RB who can have the level of success he did in the tough SEC has a good chance to be a quality RB in the NFL. At this point he is Gore's b/u...so...what's the problem? I think he's dead wrong about McKillop, based on what I saw him do at Pitt. I see him as Spikes' replacement in a year, maybe two, tops. Agree with him regarding Davis...I think most of us see tons of potential in him, and I think the Niners are handling him very well, not rushing him. Curtis Taylor not smart enough? Based on what? He impressed Singletary enough to earn a roster spot. Funny he says LSU couldn't wait to get rid of Jean-Francois...I've heard from some LSU diehards and they said he was an absolute steal that late in the draft. Again, Singletary saw enough in him to keep him on the roster. I think with his size, speed and versatility, he's got a future on our DL. Again, though, my analysis is based on a very limited site picture...really, only time will tell. But, when I read an analysis like this guy's it makes me wonder if he's got something against the Niners...judging it against dozens of favorable impressions by others in his business.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
In general it is quite interesting how different NFL Scouts opinions tend to differ considerably on the same player. Personally I think each individuals own opinions and what they are looking for specifically is taken into account too much as opposed to concentrating on each atheltes ability.

For example the guy in question indicates that Crabtree was a late 1st/2nd round pick, which is considerably different to what most other scouts appear to have rated him as. Also what did the Carolina scouts see in Everette Brown, that a) the 49ers scouts didnt (They had him rated as a 3rd round pick) and b) be willing to trade next years first round pick to get him?
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
Sorry but the only thing I could think of after the first couple of sentences is can you imagine how pissed of Crabs would be if he went in the late first round or early second? Now that is a holdout I would have loved to see.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I'm not taking anything away from Davis' potential, but it's unbelievable how quick people are to jump to conclusions about players after such minimal evidence to go on.

During the preseason a thread suggested that Gore, Coffee and Sheets was going to be like the Giants trifecta of Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw.

i dont get your point about davis..also i think coffee is going to be a bust---he is averaging minus 3 yards a carry as an nfl back...obviously he cant make the step up to the pro game
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
There is a good chance Lynch was correct on Crabtree. I mean, look at the rest of the Tech offense skill players from the 07 and 08 seasons. They looked awesome against most teams. Graham Harrell was lighting it up. Is he even in the NFL? Crabtree dominated his opponents and made some amazing plays, but you just don't know until he steps on an NFL field and has a year or two under his belt.

I do think Davis will be our best pick from this draft.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by jones49:
Sounds like he gives us a D- at best. Crabtree a late 1st/2nd rounder!?? What a douche.

He really was the most overrated guy. A system guy who is a slow runner. IMO he won't even do that well in the NFL. I didn't like the pick in some ways but now it looks even worse.

I am getting so f**king tired of that kid and think the 9ers should just cut their losses and move on! Look back at his fake-ass smile when he is picked! Is it just me or is that the fakest person you have ever seen??
  • MikeyVnutz
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

i dont get your point about davis..also i think coffee is going to be a bust---he is averaging minus 3 yards a carry as an nfl back...obviously he cant make the step up to the pro game

I hope your being sarcastic.. coffee had one carry in his first game in which our O-line played noticeably bad and which the cardinals D blitzed almost every play.. Gore had like 20 yards on almost 30 carries, do you think he is a bust too?... give the guy a chance before you bash him.. i'm pretty sure one carry isn't really fair to judge a RB potential on

and davis obviously has some potential.. people just get excited on the webzone b/c our QB situation has sucked so bad the past few years... give us a break man..
I find it amusing how every scout plays the “character card” when it comes to a player. Tarrell Brown allegedly had poor character so he drops to the 5th round. While in SF he has been a hard working, class kid the entire time. Everyone knew RJF was going to need a coach he respected and would help him keep his head screwed on straight. Coach Sing specifically pointed out RJF for his maturity during training camp. I do believe he is a steal, he can play NT or DE and as he learns the system will be a beast.

I am pleased about the comment on Davis, however I do have to ask the question if this “scout” believes he is another Sanchez then why didn’t they draft him instead of letting him got to us in the 5th round?

IMO makes you question all of his other comments
What are the issues with Ricky Jean-Francois?
I will take that, if everyone from this years draft is either a Diva or a bust besides N. Davis. Then we came away with a frachise QB! I would have traded all of those picks for a franchise QB anyway, I would take that! All those other guys do seem like back-ups anyway...