There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

One thing about the ARI game I didn't see anyone mention RE: Snap count

I was watching the game this afternoon aqnd I noticed that, around the 2nd quarter (probably earlier), we simply stopped doing a snap count. Just liek we did last year at Seattle. Heitmann would simply lower his head, raise it again and snap it.

The O-line was terrible, no question, but maybe that played a part. And if you notice it, Dockett was penetrating our line almost at the same time of the snap (he was called offside on one or two occasions).
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
I was watching the game this afternoon aqnd I noticed that, around the 2nd quarter (probably earlier), we simply stopped doing a snap count. Just liek we did last year at Seattle. Heitmann would simply lower his head, raise it again and snap it.

The O-line was terrible, no question, but maybe that played a part. And if you notice it, Dockett was penetrating our line almost at the same time of the snap (he was called offside on one or two occasions).

That's a very interesting and valid point.

If you let a defense get too comfortable with the snap count, you negate the advantage the offense has in that aspect.

If you've ever played DL, which I have, if you are comfortable with the snap count, you have a chance to perform much better.
That's a good point. They were doing that because of the the noise. It also makes it easy for the defense to anticipate the snap. I also have to say that my estimation of the Cardinals fans actually improved during the game. I've always considered them to be kind of ignorant, but I noticed that they were loud as hell when the 9ers O was on the field and very quiet while the Card's O was out there.
Originally posted by Schulzy:

That's a very interesting and valid point.

If you let a defense get too comfortable with the snap count, you negate the advantage the offense has in that aspect.

If you've ever played DL, which I have, if you are comfortable with the snap count, you have a chance to perform much better.

Very good point. I was getting pissed watching Dockett just kill our O-line. I think we should change up snap count & do more straight ahead blocking. Our guards pulling all the time got there a$$e$ handed to them.

if we had a decent OC he would change the snap count every once in a while !
Originally posted by cNiner:

Let's wait until we lose a game to call for the guys head.
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

not to mention like another poster said. It was LOUD!! they had to go to something that gave them the best opportunity to not commit penalties.

I think Raye is a joke but I don't think this was a "bad" thing per se. It's just that, with all that noise, we chose to give up the snap count and in exchange we had no false starts.

Mike Martz did the same thing in Seattle last year. So it's a situation of winning here and losing there. Without the count, opponents get in your face more easily but you don't get false start penalties. With the count, it's the other way around.
Originally posted by backontop:

not to mention like another poster said. It was LOUD!! they had to go to something that gave them the best opportunity to not commit penalties.

and doesn't the qb choose the snap count?
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by backontop:

and doesn't the qb choose the snap count?

Normally based upon the agression of the defense yes, but the coaches normally advice them on the best times to give hard counts.
i have said this in several threads. it was what happened on the draw where gore got stuffed at the 1. people blamed baas, and i said it was on hill and no hard counts.
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:23 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home