There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Running Game

Originally posted by DarthNiner:
It's all about player personnel. Think Baas and Rachal can pull and beat a MLB to the edge? I think not.

The team is built as a straight ahead blocking team and not as a pulling team that can go to the outside.

if this were true, then 70% of our runs, wouldnt have guards and people pulling all over the place.
Originally posted by babby1974:
With the new "spread" offense ok not really - but with the offense bening opened up a little more, it looks like there are a few more holes for running plays, but I am still frustrated why we do not try to run outside a little more often. Gore has the vision and decent speed to take runs to the outside, and that will allow the interior part of the line (and in my opinion the weakest part of the line) to not have to sustain their blocks. It seemed when we ran that pitch to Robinson there was a good amounf of running room. But just thinking out loud. Overall a win is a win. So that is good.

Originally posted by babby1974:
Overall a win is a win.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
It's all about player personnel. Think Baas and Rachal can pull and beat a MLB to the edge? I think not.

The team is built as a straight ahead blocking team and not as a pulling team that can go to the outside.

if this were true, then 70% of our runs, wouldnt have guards and people pulling all over the place.

Incorrect. What Raye is trying to do is to pull guards and set up trap blocks in the interior. That type of play is all about the block angles.

What the original poster is referring to is guard sweeps to the outside of the tackles, which our team's personnel at guard does not do well (or not at all).
In the preseason I was happy to see some "stretch" or "Zone" runs to the outside. I was further heartened to see some wider "Splits" on both passing and running plays.
(A Split is the distance between offensive linemen)

In Seattle we reverted to out tight split power run game, running between the tackles, mostly to the left behind Iupati, result a packed box and no run game.

Against New Orleans, we were still pretty tight on our splits, but we ran more off tackle right, inside the tackle between Snyder and Adams or out side the tackle between Adams and Byam, depending on where the d-end lined up, Result big yardage wider defensive front, that opened up passing.

This week tight splits run right behind Rachil, result no run game. No passing game.

I can't understand the thinking by Singletary, does he think running to the edges is unmanly? Because we got smoked on the edges today!
and why do we even signed Westbrook??
If the Chiefs prove they can stop our run game, why continue it. I couldn't believe the report after halftime with Sing saying they will still run the ball. Why continue something the other team has proved they can stop?

Thats not making adjustments.
if running outside is unmanly then we got b***hslapped today for reals

its ok though, we kept everything in between the tackles like real men should
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
In the preseason I was happy to see some "stretch" or "Zone" runs to the outside. I was further heartened to see some wider "Splits" on both passing and running plays.

In Seattle we reverted to out tight split power run game, running between the tackles, mostly to the left behind Iupati, result a packed box and no run game.

Against New Orleans, we were still pretty tight on our splits, but we ran more off tackle right, inside the tackle between Snyder and Adams or out side the tackle between Adams and Byam, depending on where the d-end lined up, Result big yardage wider defensive front, that opened up passing.

This week tight splits run right behind Rachil, result no run game. No passing game.

I can't understand the thinking by Singletary, does he think running to the edges is unmanly? Because we got smoked on the edges today!

It's interesting how this team is credited for the new age phillosophy of having the pass set up the run and today we are one of the teams furthest away from using this concept. Too Bad
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

It's interesting how this team is credited for the new age phillosophy of having the pass set up the run and today we are one of the teams furthest away from using this concept. Too Bad