LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Week 1 Quotes from the Pundits

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I read it. Very surprised.
0-16 or 16-0, the east coast media (of which peter king is a prime paradigm) will always be all over the dallass cowgirls' balls and perpetuating the overexposure of "south america's team"!

the brokeback mtn boys will ALWAYS get their 4 nationally televised games on SNF and MNF plus Thanksgiving

The 49ers need to start their own fallacy and advertise theselves as being "THE WORLD'S TEAM" and pander to new fans in Europe and Asia....I know the Bay Area has the demographics

[ Edited by Buonaparte69 on Sep 15, 2009 at 15:10:53 ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
And all of the other great coaches that have been apart of this organization, but for the longest time, I have been longing for a bruising physical team, a team that rat-a-tat-tat dat ass all game long, a Bill-Parcells like team that's built to play in cold weather and it appears the tide is turning even though it's only been one week, so I don't want to get to far ahead myself. Check out these quotes (some of you have already read them):

Quote:

Jimmy Johnson, FoxSports

Some teams don't realize what they can't do and still attempt to do it. That's how they get themselves in trouble. The strength of the 49ers is to play solid defense, and they did that against the Cardinals, while trying to do some things on special teams and run Frank Gore. Shaun Hill made enough plays in the passing game to put his team in position to win. I know they won't score a lot of points playing this way, but it will keep them in a lot of games.

I really believe the 49ers can continue to play this way because they are in the NFC West. Seattle is not that strong, and the Seahawks may be the pick in that division. St. Louis is obviously a poor football team, and Arizona is in the mix. The Cardinals got on a hot run last season in the playoffs, but they were only a 9-7 team.

What I really like about San Francisco is that they are trying to add some toughness to that division. I wouldn't consider Seattle a team of toughness, and the Rams are a team of not much of anything. Arizona is not a team of toughness. But this tough approach sets the 49ers apart from the other three teams in the division. It might give them an edge in the West.

Quote:

Matt Bowen, former NFL safety, contributer to The National Football Post

Niners’ new brand

If anything, we should look at the last drive by the San Francisco offense as an indication of what opposing teams can expect throughout the regular season. Against the defending NFC champs, on the road, the Niners drove 80 yards in 15 plays — and chewed up almost eight minutes of the clock — for the winning score. No, I’m not saying the Niners are now the favorites to win the NFC West, but this style of football is different from what we’re used to in San Fran and is a direct reflection of head coach Mike Singletary. They played physical, and on defense they beat up Cards QB Kurt Warner and limited Arizona to 4 of 14 on third-down attempts. That’s winning football in this league.

Quote:

Michael Lombardi, NFL Network

The 49ers’ defense is very physical. San Francisco looked very physical on defense and showed it can pass rush with power. The 49ers are going to be tough to move the ball on with their front.

Quote:

Vic Carucci, NFL.com

Let's be sure to give plenty of credit to the 49ers. Their defense played well. And as unimpressive as they were on offense, they did accomplish this much: They made a statement that they are going to be a tough, physical team. By constantly running Frank Gore-- even when Arizona packed eight defenders at the line -- and playing sound defense, the Cards and the rest of the teams in the NFC West were put on notice that a game with the 49ers requires you to expend everything you have physically and emotionally.

Quote:

Pat Kirwan, NFL.com

General managers and head coaches like to talk about "changing the culture" in the locker room. Translation: change a losing attitude into a winning attitude. Two teams gave me the feeling the culture is on its way to changing, and in Week 1 each took a big step. The San Francisco 49ers had an adjustment period last year when Mike Singletary took over. With a solid finish last year and a very intense offseason and summer camp, this is a different team. They are mentally tough.

For those that say this style of play doesn't have staying power or long-term success, it does when you have a franchise QB (see NE, PIT, PHI, NYG).
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't usually read his Monday Morning QB column because he's such an East Coast homer...but, I checked it out and lo and behold he had three positive comments on our guys. The first was that it was a "Valiant game for the Singletaries, winning at Arizona. They harassed Kurt Warner for four quarters." The other two are about Shaun Hill and Patrick Willis in his awards section at this link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/13/week1/2.html

After Peter Queen predicted the Bears to go to the Superbowl, I lost all respect for anything he has to say...even positive comments on the Niners. If you stand too close to someone talking out of their ass, you might get covered in their bullsh*t.
Nice quotes, but the thread subject title is completely misleading. You might want to change the subject title to show that it's a bunch of quotes that describes the team's new tough-nosed football style.
[ Edited by fzrdave on Sep 16, 2009 at 9:30 AM ]
To add onto this, Bertrand Berry was on KHTK 1140 with Grant Apier yesterday and he said that the 49ers are tough and very much improved. He was impressed at how focused they looked.

Remember last year in Game 1? The Cards were tackling and hitting us harder than we were to them and they looked intense and forced some fumbles (hit on Zach). Then, when we played them the second time, under Singletary, we brought an equal amount of intensity.

Now, we were much more intense.
I am very appreciative of Bill Walsh, as well
Focus and intensity are great.

But they are not more important than talent and scheme.
  • carl
  • Veteran
I've always found King to be pretty fair to the 49ers.
  • ZRF80
What do you guys want ? For the media to write 3 page articles acknowledging a team that has reigned in the bottom tier of the league for the past 7 years ?

Go back to the articles of the 90s. The Niners were the talk of the town for 15 straight years. To the point where it got cumbersome to go through all the articles written about them.

^^^^^ I completely agree with the two posts above me. Peter King isn't so bad, and typically he's pretty close to the mark.
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:
0-16 or 16-0, the east coast media (of which peter king is a prime paradigm) will always be all over the dallass cowgirls' balls and perpetuating the overexposure of "south america's team"!

the brokeback mtn boys will ALWAYS get their 4 nationally televised games on SNF and MNF plus Thanksgiving

The 49ers need to start their own fallacy and advertise theselves as being "THE WORLD'S TEAM" and pander to new fans in Europe and Asia....I know the Bay Area has the demographics

Winning is the only advertisement that really works. I notice that in Singletary's post game press conference, there are like three reporters in an empty room. Not even local media is interested. They need to start winning to change the current "who cares" opinion about the team in the media.
Originally posted by T83RR:
Focus and intensity are great.

But they are not more important than talent and scheme.

No, but they are every bit as important. Lack in any of these categories and you will lose games instead of winning them.
That's ridiculous. I think a lot of college coaches instill more intensity and focus into their players than do pro coaches. Yet the talent and scheme in the NFL obviously trumps the intensity of the college game. If you're talking about two very talented teams, the one who "wants it more" will win. But ONLY if the teams are equal in talent.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Peter King is an egomaniac with short memory.

He never admits being dead wrong. Who remembers the "Jay Cutler will not leave Broncos" column? I almost felt sorry for King.
Share 49ersWebzone