LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Nate Davis: QB of the future? A look w/ video at his preseason

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Giggiddy:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Smith will leading the niners way before davis gets a chance...

god I hope not... Smith is terrible

LOL....

...actually, Smith isn't my concern.

My concern is that the 49ers will take a QB in the first round next year and Davis will never get his shot. I want him to earn that shot, I'm just hoping he gets the chance.

I'd like to See Davis get his shot too because he has the intangibles. If we were to draft another QB next year he might not get the chance. I really, really think the 49ers need to think 2 solid o-lineman with our #1's. The niners o-line is below average and undersized.

I hope they don't draft another QB also. Let Nate fight next year for the starting spot with Hill (I didn't mention Smith because Smith isn't gonna cut it unless you want to have a 4-6 win footbal team) and if Hill loses, relegated to his respectful spot. Start Nate and grab a late rounder for a #3.

Regardless of the popular opinion, I think realisically he could do no worse than Hill in fact he might surprise alot of you. And nobody please mention Alex Smith again. He isn't worth the paper his contract is written on. He is a QB2-3 at best. These Smith fans are crazy. We could hold this kid for 3 more years and see the same. How many QB's need 6-7 years to master the basics???? "Smith Apologist"He'll only be 28 years old" ...but in the league 7 years flailing. I'm out.

Go Niners!!

[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Sep 15, 2009 at 14:13:44 ]
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

LOL....

My concern is that the 49ers will take a QB in the first round next year and Davis will never get his shot. I want him to earn that shot, I'm just hoping he gets the chance.

I'd like to See Davis get his shot too because he has the intangibles. If we were to draft another QB next year he might not get the chance. I really, really think the 49ers need to think 2 solid o-lineman with our #1's. The niners o-line is below average and undersized.

I hope they don't draft another QB also. Let Nate fight next year for the starting spot with Hill (I didn't mention Smith because Smith isn't gonna cut it unless you want to have a 4-6 win footbal team) and if Hill loses, relegated to his respectful spot. Start Nate and grab a late rounder for a #3.

Regardless of the popular opinion, I think realisically he could do no worse than Hill in fact he might surprise alot of you. And nobody please mention Alex Smith again. He isn't worth the paper his contract is written on. He is a QB2-3 at best. These Smith fans are crazy. We could hold this kid for 3 more years and see the same. How many QB's need 6-7 years to master the basics???? "Smith Apologist"He'll only be 28 years old" ...but in the league 7 years flailing. I'm out.

Go Niners!!

I'm really torn.

I really like Davis, but I'm not sure I'm sold enough on him to want to pass over a guy like Colt McCoy next year. I'd hate to have a shot at a guy who could be "the guy" becauee we have someone, and then be kicking ourselves when the guy we have doesn't work out.

BTW...not saying Colt is going to be great (I have no idea), just using him as an example.

It does kinda remind me on the Reggie Bush thing tho. I really wanted Reggie Bush when he came out and was just hoping the Niners might trade up or he might fall or something. Little did I know that Mr. Frank Gore would rush for nearly 1700 yards that very same year. ;-)

[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 15, 2009 at 16:05:06 ]

LOL....

Go Niners!!

I'm really torn.

I really like Davis, but I'm not sure I'm sold enough on him to want to pass over a guy like Colt McCoy next year. I'd hate to have a shot at a guy who could be "the guy" becauee we have someone, and then be kicking ourselves when the guy we have doesn't work out.

BTW...not saying Colt is going to be great (I have no idea), just using him as an example.

It does kinda remind me on the Reggie Bush thing tho. I really wanted Reggie Bush when he came out and was just hoping the Niners might trade up or he might fall or something. Little did I know that Mr. Frank Gore would rush for nearly 1700 yards that very same year. ;-)

so either way, draft is a crapshoot, so might as well go with the potenial value pick in Nate Davis, instead of taking a risk in a early round qb like colt
Originally posted by verb1der:

LOL....

Go Niners!!

I'm really torn.

so either way, draft is a crapshoot, so might as well go with the potenial value pick in Nate Davis, instead of taking a risk in a early round qb like colt

I like the idea of building a good supporting cast first and then inserting a QB with potential. Let Davis develop in the wings while we sure of the OL and some defensive needs, then let him loose. Don't do to him what Nolan did to Smith.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Nice video...

man, he has a niiiice arm, and when he gets to step into the pocket he's very accurate.

I can see the future!!!

My concern is that the 49ers will take a QB in the first round next year and Davis will never get his shot.

The air is VERY wide open on this one, but if we do draft a new QB (which is 80% likely) Alex Smith will be gone, so the depth chart would be rounded out to Shaun Hill, Nate Davis, and the rookie 1st/2nd round QB (my gut tells me Colt McCoy).

A year down the road the situation could amount to one similar to Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson in Cleveland (between Nate Davis & the supposed 2010 QB).

-This situation seems likely cause I don't see us drafting a QB in 2010 any lower than the supposed position Carolina might end up (which could be between rounds 10-15), if it were a first rounder.
Ask Shawn Hill if the Ariz defence was playing like the defenses the 9ers faced in the preseason. Of course not! Davis would have been running for his life. Who knows how he would have handled it? His pocket presence may have just gone - POOF!
well done - very solid.
to be perfectly honest, and no homerness intended. I rather have Nate Davis than Jamarcus Russel
Originally posted by excelsior:
Ask Shawn Hill if the Ariz defence was playing like the defenses the 9ers faced in the preseason. Of course not! Davis would have been running for his life. Who knows how he would have handled it? His pocket presence may have just gone - POOF!

Maybe. or maybe he stands tall in the pocket and does the job. Look, I Know we need a better O-line but I just do'n't see him doing any worse than what we have. I hear Sean Hill was on the Tony Bruno sports talk show tonight. I totally respect Sean Hill, I want that to be noted.

Now...If we don't draft a good lineman or two next year we are toast. People don't trade "healthy" pro bowl caliber lineman. They are drafted and we had better start doing some homework.

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
to be perfectly honest, and no homerness intended. I rather have Nate Davis than Jamarcus Russel

Jamarcus is about as accurate as as the fuel gauge on my 1983 Kawasaki GPZ550.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

dude im a smith guy but he will be better and is now than hill and smith
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

My concern is that the 49ers will take a QB in the first round next year and Davis will never get his shot.

The air is VERY wide open on this one, but if we do draft a new QB (which is 80% likely) Alex Smith will be gone, so the depth chart would be rounded out to Shaun Hill, Nate Davis, and the rookie 1st/2nd round QB (my gut tells me Colt McCoy).

A year down the road the situation could amount to one similar to Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson in Cleveland (between Nate Davis & the supposed 2010 QB).

-This situation seems likely cause I don't see us drafting a QB in 2010 any lower than the supposed position Carolina might end up (which could be between rounds 10-15), if it were a first rounder.

people keep bringing this up, but if hill didnt play last year which he did, he would not have beat out alex in preseason. alex performed better. shaun couldnt even get a td drive. my point is the second alex gets cut or switched in the depth chart hill should be too. BECAUSE NATE DAVIS IS WAY MORE TALENTED THAN BOTH. first game bull s**t, hill has participated in 4 games and played 1 entire game this season, he has shown nothing to even warrant he could start any where else...... except maybe college

ps. it took him those 5 games to put together 1 decent drive. why do people druel over or even like the guy. he is my qb so i will root for him on game day but s**t he sucks just as bad as my guy smith. the difference is smith got ruined..... hill just plain sucks
[ Edited by fan49 on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:11 AM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

people keep bringing this up, but if hill didnt play last year which he did, he would not have beat out alex in preseason. alex performed better. shaun couldnt even get a td drive. my point is the second alex gets cut or switched in the depth chart hill should be too. BECAUSE NATE DAVIS IS WAY MORE TALENTED THAN BOTH. first game bull s**t, hill has participated in 4 games and played 1 entire game this season, he has shown nothing to even warrant he could start any where else...... except maybe college

The team, for one reason or another, wins with Shaun Hill. Right now, that's all that matters.

I also feel the only reason Rossum is on the roster and Spurlock isn't returning kicks is because of the return Rossum made against AZ last year, not because Rossum did so well this preseason. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.
i'm not really sold on Nate Davis yet.
i think it may have something to do with me reading that the coaches had simplified things for Nate Davis and taking away more than half of the playbook.

but i don't know if that's just cause he's a rook or what.

i just think it's too early to start claiming he's the guy when it was against back-ups AND in the pre-season.
Share 49ersWebzone