LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

No Excuses Needed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Some of you “so called fans” are truly embarrassing… Some of you are still so blinded by your man crush with Alexcuses Smith that you can not give Hill credit for a solid effort!?! The oline has never looked and I mean – has NEVER looked as poor as it had yesterday, perhaps equal too but never more poor. The running game had never been as dissected as it was yesterday. The offensive play calling,,, even Hostler was not as predictable and doggedly futile. We told the world we were gonna run 60% of the time and guess what?!? We did, faithfully and pathetically.

Hill was harassed, hit, sacked, hurried, scared and at times left for dead! All of this to a player that has played in 14 career games!!! 14 CAREER GAMES!!! One of those games all he did was take a knee to end a game for the Vikings. And yet with limited playing experience, a new system, no help from the ground game, with the opposition daring him to carry the offense and in an extremely hostile situation he still composed himself (DURING THE GAME) against the defending NFC champs on the road, first game of the season and WON!!! No the O wasn’t pretty but Hill had 1,000,000 reasons to fold up, call it a day and lick his wounds. He didn’t – he played his ass off and didn’t need one excuse to do it. Stop being D-Bags and give some credit where credit is due. I just wanted to get that off my chest! Good job Hill!!! Now get better!!!

S. Hill 18 of 31 (58.1%) for 209 yard 1TD 0 INTs a passer rating of 89.3
K. Warner 26 of 44 (59.1%) for 288 yards 1 td 2 INTS a passer rating of 67.2

Dirty
You think our O-Line was actually worse then it was when Alex was QB? Get real.
Congratulations Shaun Hill, you managed to look like a weak-armed Alex Smith from two years ago...
Hill did a decent job yesterday. I just wished he was better under pressure. He had some bad throws and looked like a deer in the headlights on a couple plays but he won the game which is all I ask for.

I don't care who our QB is, I will still be rooting for them.

If we had any sort of running game yesterday, the game wouldn't have even been close.
Originally posted by Method:

yup
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Some of you “so called fans” are truly embarrassing… Some of you are still so blinded by your man crush with Alexcuses Smith that you can not give Hill credit for a solid effort!?! The oline has never looked and I mean – has NEVER looked as poor as it had yesterday, perhaps equal too but never more poor. The running game had never been as dissected as it was yesterday. The offensive play calling,,, even Hostler was not as predictable and doggedly futile. We told the world we were gonna run 60% of the time and guess what?!? We did, faithfully and pathetically.

If "No Excuses are Needed" then why did you open the thread with a whole bunch of Alexcuses about why Shaun Hill didn't look very good?

[ Edited by wadjay on Sep 14, 2009 at 10:33:19 ]
  • ZRF80
Lets just put it this way. If Alex had started yesterday, with the same oline, receivers, and offensive strategy................today this board would have been littered with threads pertaining to:

We lost because...........

A) Alex is only 13 years old. He needs time to learn. Have patience.
B) Alex has had 5 different offensive coordinators in 5 years. Have patience.
C) Alex was wearing a jock strap one size too small, which restricted venous return from his balls to his head, so he couldnt make the right decisions.
D) the NFL has conspired against Alex, and purposefully put larger Footballs in play. Thats why he fumbled so much.
E) Hey, it's a young team. Just be happy with Alex's 75 QB rating and 9/16 101 yard passing day. He made smart decisions by throwing it out of bounds.

Hell, at one moment during yesterday's game........I saw a snapshot of Alex on the sideline with his helmet on. I was like "oh s**t, here goes the neighborhood". Thank God they kept Hill in and let him win it for us. Something that I know for sure Alex would not have. And you have to be a Kool-Aid drinker if you think Smith would have converted all 4 3rd downs on that 80 yard drive.
Based on what I would consider "questionable" play calling for much of the game and some real weaknesses at RG and LG, I thought that Shaun Hill played a decent game. No turnovers was HUGE. He short-armed a number of throws, but he also turned it around and made some great passes as well.

He didn't get much help from Coach Raye's play calling and the O-Line wasn't at their best either. I wasn't thrilled to see him sack himself on one play. But he will probably not get enough credit for the teams win. Again, not what I would consider a stellar performance out of Hill, but bearing all other factors in mind, not a bad outing for only his 14th start. Hope that he continues to improve and find more consistency.

Great victory for us yesterday! Beating our Division rivals in the season opener on the road is a triple-win.

LOL, it seems to me the general rule here on this forum is the O-line is always used as a reason to excuse bad QB play if you are in an argument supporting that QB.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Hell, at one moment during yesterday's game........I saw a snapshot of Alex on the sideline with his helmet on. I was like "oh s**t, here goes the neighborhood". Thank God they kept Hill in and let him win it for us. Something that I know for sure Alex would not have. And you have to be a Kool-Aid drinker if you think Smith would have converted all 4 3rd downs on that 80 yard drive.

IMO that was motivation that Hill used for that TD. One of Hill's throws at the beginning of the drive was right to a Cardinals DB, luckily it was dropped.

Sure you can take shots at Smith, but the reason he was going to come in was because Hill wasn't playing up to par, period.

Lets just put it this way. If Alex had started yesterday, with the same oline, receivers, and offensive strategy................today this board would have been littered with threads pertaining to:

C) Alex was wearing a jock strap one size too small, which restricted venous return from his balls to his head, so he couldnt make the right decisions.
D) the NFL has conspired against Alex, and purposefully put larger Footballs in play. Thats why he fumbled so much.
E) Hey, it's a young team. Just be happy with Alex's 75 QB rating and 9/16 101 yard passing day. He made smart decisions by throwing it out of bounds.

If Alex had played the game the way Hill did yesterday all of the Alex Smith death vultures would have flooded the board with the following analysis -

"He held the ball too long"

"He stared down his wide receivers"

"He was inaccurate with his throws"

"He looks lost in the face of the blitz"

"One good drive doesn't outweigh him looking terrible the rest of the game"

And the analysis would be correct. Here's to hoping that Hill can fix those things for next week, because if the play calling is the same, then I don't have much hope that he'll be able to win too many games on his own.

I did think we would leave this sorry moaning and squabbling about qb's behind when we started the season. Apparently not.

Shame

IMO that was motivation that Hill used for that TD. One of Hill's throws at the beginning of the drive was right to a Cardinals DB, luckily it was dropped.

Sure you can take shots at Smith, but the reason he was going to come in was because Hill wasn't playing up to par, period.

Hill had, basically, a 90 QB rating. He played VERY well considering how often he was sacked and pressured.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Hill had, basically, a 90 QB rating. He played VERY well considering how often he was sacked and pressured.

Even you can admit that up until that drive he was playing really poorly overall. Can't always blame everyone else, sounding like Chris Collinsworth blaming everyone except Jay Cutler for his horrid play. I think I would grow an ulcer from watching that s**t.

Originally posted by miked1978:
Hill did a decent job yesterday. I just wished he was better under pressure. He had some bad throws and looked like a deer in the headlights on a couple plays but he won the game which is all I ask for.

I don't care who our QB is, I will still be rooting for them.

If we had any sort of running game yesterday, the game wouldn't have even been close.

+1

We beat the defending NFC champs, and division foe, in there own house.

Hill sustained a long drive in the 4th quarter for the game winning TD. Hill did extremely well conisidering the Tards sent 5+ at him on nearly every play, as well as making us 1 dimentional by shutting down the running game. Hill is expected to "Manage" the game for us and not turn the ball over, mission accomplished give him alittle credit, Hills play exceeding expectations esp after how he played most this preseason.

Go Niners

[ Edited by 9erfreak on Sep 14, 2009 at 10:38:13 ]
Share 49ersWebzone