LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Remember this week in Niner history!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I live near Buffalo, and because the Bills are brutal the local radio station is going to reminisce about a great game from each week of the season from the past. For example, this being week one they were analyizing a game from week 1 of the 1991 season when the Bills crushed the Dolphins 35-10.

I thought it might be fun to do something similar with the Niners. We all have memories from seasons past, some from the last 10 years and some from the long past. This being week one, I will mention my favourite (or just noteable) week 1 game:

There are a few obvious ones that I know will be mentioned so I will go a bit out of the box. 2003: 49-7 over the Bears. I didn't even get to see the game live, but it was such a dominating performance. I was worried heading into that year as I thought Erickson was a terrible choice and we were doomed. Well it turns out I was correct, but for one day at least everything seemed like it would turn out. I had to work and as soon as I got off I called my buddy to see what happened and when he told me the score I assumed he was lying. No way were we going to win by 42 points on opening day!

Anyways, this might be lame, but each week I figured we could all pick a game from a previous season's corresponding week. Any suggestions for an opener??

[ Edited by bigmur49 on Sep 11, 2009 at 19:39:40 ]
Wasnt the garrison hearst run this week in history?
In 90, with the Niners coming off two straight Super Bowls, they met the Saints in New Orleans for the opener on Monday night. The Saint D (which was stout during this era) kept the Niners in check all night. I remember it being a frustrating game to watch and it looked like the Niners were not going to pull it off. But then, of course, Montana and Rice worked their magic. With less than a minute left Montana hit Rice on a deep route. If I remember correctly, it was the first big play the Niner offense hit on all night. With time expiring, the Niners kick a field goal and pull out the win 13-12.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

The good old days. Rice and T.O. on the same team, playing at the same time.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
The good old days. Rice and T.O. on the same team, playing at the same time.

i miss 1998, those guys were my heroes man.
Well now, how about the season opener at home in 94 against the Raiders when the GOAT set a record for TDs set by Jim Brown and we trashed the LA Fadiers 44-14!!

What a game that was, plus what a gnarly parking lot, nasty stuff that.

However, gettin out the drunk tank at 5am on Howard street was not too cool. But the ho's that wanted a ride home. well....

History, it's what we make it.

NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First game Nolan coached versus the Rams (we won). If we only knew then what we know now.
Share 49ersWebzone