There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why is everyone concerned w/Singletary & Raye's approach?

• FL9er
  • Veteran
I do admit Raye's quote: "I want to beat the hell out of them and win by one." makes me nervous, but what's the problem with running the ball, playing good defense, and having the quarterback manage the game?

The Jets are doing that with Mark Sanchez and their fans aren't up in arms. It's the way Miami, Baltimore, Tennessee, Atlanta, and to a lesser extent Carolina won ball games.

Is it because the 49ers do not have the talent to play this way?

Is it because it's a culture shock? "DATZ NOT TEH WAY DA OLD NINAZ WALSH DID DA DAMN THANG!"

Is it because it's boring?

Is it all of the above?

This is going to sound obvious, but our talent dictates the way we play. If the 49ers had a more talented QB, and better faster WRs, I would assume you'd see a more wide open approach.
I'm not tripping. Haven't even seen the offense yet for real so I can't complain til there is something to complain about. honestly i don't care how they win just win.
if my concerns for the dark ages approach has any validity to it, we'll get our answer this sunday.

there are offenses out there that are gonna score 20 points no matter who they play. teams like the patriots have the passing game down so well, and you can see what a team like the cardinals do now as well, what happens when its 1st quarter and we already down 14-0.

its not like we have a killer pass rush to where we can have faith in our d. doesnt matter how good the linebackers and/or secondary is, with no pass rush what so ever except for when the quarterback trips over his own feet, teams are going to score on you. when that happens, how good is a plodding offense gonna be that will be more field goals then touchdowns, more 3 and outs then either?
I'm nervous that were not going to be able to put up more points than our D is going to give up (using the 60% run - 40% pass O).
I'll wait till after the first game to truly determine wether we will be all about the run.
This team doesn't have a strong enough defense to be paired with a low scoring offense. I hope the 49ers surprise us all and run a more wide open offense then we expect.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
This team doesn't have a strong enough defense to be paired with a low scoring offense. I hope the 49ers surprise us all and run a more wide open offense then we expect.

We also don't have a good enough quarterback or consistent enough pass protection to be throwing the ball all over the field.
Originally posted by FL9er:
I do admit Raye's quote: "I want to beat the hell out of them and win by one." makes me nervous, but what's the problem with running the ball, playing good defense, and having the quarterback manage the game?

The Jets are doing that with Mark Sanchez and their fans aren't up in arms. It's the way Miami, Baltimore, Tennessee, Atlanta, and to a lesser extent Carolina won ball games.

Is it because it's a culture shock? "DATZ NOT TEH WAY DA OLD NINAZ WALSH DID DA DAMN THANG!"

Is it all of the above?

This is going to sound obvious, but our talent dictates the way we play. If the 49ers had a more talented QB, and better faster WRs, I would assume you'd see a more wide open approach.

Whatever approach is needed to to get that W is all that matters. Yeah it might be boring to some, but so what as long as they win...But if they start losing then that will be a different matter all together.
  • ZRF80
Ever hear of someone named Jim Hostler ?

He considers Raye his "mentor".

Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm not tripping. Haven't even seen the offense yet for real so I can't complain til there is something to complain about. honestly i don't care how they win just win.

Exactly. I think some people are wishing for a QB that has a cannon arm and throws 300+ yards a game. I can care less. As long as we get the W, I'll be happy.

Is it all of the above?

my only answer to you is , did you watch last night the steelers and the titans ! that's how you should play football !

we can run , but we don't have a QB with an arm to sling it 60-70 yards in playaction. except Davis in a year or so. we have absoulute no pass rush it was pathatic in the preeseason makes me we had a chance at the kid that Carolina picked up with our pick but hay Mclueless knows what is he doning. the kid they picked up is the same size as harlson and faster and his spicalty is passrush ! but hay you want to run 60% vs steelers we are going nowhere vs good D we are going nowhere then what rely on the 40% which is depending on the 60% wow is should be 50/50 ! Shotgun formation cuz of blitzers and s**t like that !
I think people are nervous and skeptical (including myself) for several reasons:

1. The Steelers and Cards made the superbowl as passing teams, beating the run dominant teams in the playoffs -- showing the vulnerability of run dominant teams in the big games.

2. Some people argue that the league is moving toward a pass dominant game, and that leaves an run-first team vulnerable to getting behind early. Walsh's admonition that the "Problem with establishing the run is that by the time its established, you are down 21 points" seems to ring true to fans.

3. We have all seen in the last few years that without a passing attack, teams simply stack the line against us and shut down the run. Who wants to watch the niners fail this year because our run-first mentality "hits a brick wall." I don't know about you, but I'm tired of that.

4. Lastly, if you are so run oriented that you don't have an effective passing attack when you are behind, then being a run-first team is useless.

I think #4 is everyone's greatest fear. The most important thing the 49ers need to do is ESTABLISH THE PASS early in games so the defenses respect the pass and can't stack the line. The key to this may be play-action, which we literally saw zero of in preseason. Play-action is KEY when a defense is geared to stop your run. Play action passing also makes big use of the tight-end, because linebackers hopefully react to the run action, and the TE is freed.

The first game will be VERY telling. Either a dynamic offense will try to emerge using play action, or our offense will look like past years -- and that will be a problem. I think the biggest difference between Norv Turner and Hostler the next year was the lack of play action called by Hostler. We'll see where Ray and Singletary fall on the issue soon! :)

The thing I would love to have the time to do is breakdown the run stats for the run oriented teams that went to the play-offs last year. It would be interesting to see their run-pass ratio in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarter to see if they really became more run dominant when they had the lead.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by nflguy49:

We also don't have a good enough quarterback or consistent enough pass protection to be throwing the ball all over the field.

Then we should have traded for Cutler/Peppers/Suggs. Singletary/Scotty chose not to make major player additions to the team and will pay the price at the end of the season if we don't make the playoffs.
Originally posted by cNiner:

Is it all of the above?

my only answer to you is , did you watch last night the steelers and the titans ! that's how you should play football !

we can run , but we don't have a QB with an arm to sling it 60-70 yards in playaction. except Davis in a year or so. we have absoulute no pass rush it was pathatic in the preeseason makes me we had a chance at the kid that Carolina picked up with our pick but hay Mclueless knows what is he doning. the kid they picked up is the same size as harlson and faster and his spicalty is passrush ! but hay you want to run 60% vs steelers we are going nowhere vs good D we are going nowhere then what rely on the 40% which is depending on the 60% wow is should be 50/50 ! Shotgun formation cuz of blitzers and s**t like that !

My head hurts after trying to read that.

LB
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Ever hear of someone named Jim Hostler ?

He considers Raye his "mentor".

Ever hear of someone named Mike Nolan?

He's not just Singletary's mentor but he's also his BFF.