There are 170 users in the forums

As the season starts, a second look at our offseason

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • IheartBillWalsh
  • Info N/A
I couldn't agree more. I'm a newb in terms of posting but I've been following this site for many years. This is a great group of fans.

This is an article I just wrote that I think all you guys would get a kick out of. It goes along with the malaise you started describing with this thread.

http://sleeperpick.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/red-grange-where-art-thou-the-jimmy-raye-experience/

I hope you guys will check it out and let me know your thoughts!
In defense of the Niner's front office nothing fell our way this off season.

We wanted/needed a pass rusher, no one was available - Suggs signed with Balt and Peppers got slapped with the franchise tag. As a side note, there was no "Must HAVE" pass rusher in the draft. From a scout perspective everybody had holes in their game. I could understand why the Niners figured why not give Manny a chance since he had'nt really had one and no one coming out of college was an obvious upgrade over him. I've also seen stats that show per rush attempt Manny if more effective than Haralson. The season will tell.

As far as NT - Haynesworth was the big name, but I dont think he is enough of a diffrence maker for us to warrant a 100 million dollar contract. Dont forget how well Franklin played at the end of the season after changing the scheme and he looks to have picked up right where he left off. The coaching staff as most are very high on him. By the way, Balmer looked pretty impressive in the preseason.

We obviously wanted to upgrade at QB - We brought in Warner, but he didn't want to be here. It's as simple as that. Everyone else available wasn't a clear upgrade over Hill as Sing has said. Remember Hill's record going into the offseason. IMO, Sing owes Hill at least a shot at starting since it was Hills play that helped Sing keep his job. With that said, obviously Hill looks horrible so far and almost anybody would be an upgrade at this point. Again, lets see what happens when we are playing for real and he gets more than a serious to find his groove.

My biggest gripe is the OT situation. We should of done something here. We went after a guy (Marvel) that clearly was a risk as his contract demonstrates. Thats fine, but we shouldn't of stopped there. I think Kalif Barnes was the best available, but he wasn't nearly as good as the money he was demanding. Like it our not there was no sure fire Probowl RT to pick up. IMO, Scotty blew it in the draft. You can't tell me that no OT in this draft class was worth drafting in the first 3 rounds. As good as Coffee has looked we should of spent that pick (or second) on an OT. In fact, Coffee to me looks to be a work horse back, but I dont think he has the ability to every be something special.

As far as Crabtree, hind sight is 20/20. No matter how you slice it he was great value at the 10 spot. He wasn't just kind of BPA, he was far and away the BPA. Oher wasn't even considered 1st tier talent.

The biggest complaint on this board is we dont really know what we have (Davis, Smith, Manny, Baas, Brown, Goldson..etc) I think Scotty is going to live and die with his draft picks and we should know where we stand by the end of the season for better or worst. We've been "building through the draft", now it's time to let the kids play. That to me is at least some small consulation.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 8, 2009 at 00:21:14 ]
All good points.

This is the most talented roster we have had since 2002. After suffering through the 2004 season, hope isn't easy to come by. With guys like Gore and Willis its hard for me not to have hope.

I think if we can really buy into the 60-40 Offensive setting we can run into the playoffs.
We have been rebuilding for years and we aren't any better.

1 - 15.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We have been rebuilding for years and we aren't any better.

1 - 15.

I don't know if you remember last season but we went 7-9. If we are not any better we're 7-9 or so. If a little better, and with a little luck, we're around 10 wins. A little worse, some bad luck: 4-12.

1-15? You're just being a troll.

Nothing will change until they start selling popcorn. I can't wait for the season to start.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by IheartBillWalsh:
I couldn't agree more. I'm a newb in terms of posting but I've been following this site for many years. This is a great group of fans.

This is an article I just wrote that I think all you guys would get a kick out of. It goes along with the malaise you started describing with this thread.

http://sleeperpick.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/red-grange-where-art-thou-the-jimmy-raye-experience/

I hope you guys will check it out and let me know your thoughts!

Great read.

Some scary thoughts, but oh-so-true. This is gonna be a long season.
Its good to have you back paso but im just wondering... did we already lose the first game or something. I dont expect many to be optimistic after the past few seasons but I don't believe we are the same team as last year. And even if we haven't made eye pooping upgrades at every position we have the most continuity we have here in years. Especially on the Oline and Dline 2 places where that is very crucial. I dont believe we are a superbowl team and we may be a borderline playoff team but I just dont believe we are going to be as bad as many people feel we are.
bump
Share 49ersWebzone