There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

As the season starts, a second look at our offseason

• ZRF80
Welcome back pasodoc, hope you're feeling better.

As I said in another thread, this team just doesnt seem to have the urgency to hit that homerun. An example I gave was plugging Brett Favre in as our starting QB. Not that I would advocate a trade for Favre, but all of a sudden.......we become favorites to win the NFC. We have the basic toold in place. A good running game; an acceptable WR attack with or without Crabtree. There's just one or two players missing to get us over the top.

For some reason, our brass feels it a "safer" route to play it like the Pats and Colts. They prefer to wait patiently for that Montana, Brady, or Manning to emerge from a draft pick. Unfortunately, in today's era of salary cap, players switch from team to team on a yearly basis. What we have now in guys like Gore, Willis, and Clements may not be in 3-4 years. And if we continue to wait for that diamond in the rough to develop into our star QB, we may be lacking in the rushing or defensive dept.

I see teams like the Dolphins and Saints, who instantly became contenders with FA acquisitions. Imagine this team with a guy like Brees and one decent pass rusher on the d-line. All of a sudden, we're a top ranked team that could blow out the West and go deep into the playoffs.

Do we have the money for it ? Sure. But why take the easy road to success, when you can slowly play the hit-and-miss game through the draft and wait for all the pieces to fall in place, despite the high rate of player turnover in the NFL.

The draft was great 4-5 years ago, when this roster had no one. But now we have core guys at each level. Clements anchoring a decent secondary (Bly, Brown, Spencer, Lewis, and Harris are all adequate if not playing from behind). Willis and Spikes make up a formidable LB corp. One decent pass rusher would make our d-line more than adequate.

All we need is a solid QB that can carry us for the next 3-4 years (in the meantime, develop our "diamond" ala Nate Davis).

It's really that simple, but Niner brass would rather waste countless time on a retard like Crabtree..........
i think im gonna stop coming on the zone all of u guys are so negative and u call yourselves real fans! 10-6 and playoffs baby!!
If you have an average defense, weak QBs and average WRs, you need GREAT talent in the trenches. The only way you can get away with average talent in trenches is with an incredible RB, an incredible ball-hawking secondary, or an insanely talented WR that can beat double and triple teams.

This is why I'm not a fan of BPA philosophy when your trenches are so poor and skill positions are average at best outside of RB. I'm looking forward to the season once again proving that the trenches are where games are won and lost - not with diva WRs or "deep threats". The trenches need to be active in all phases of the game, rush defense, pass-rushing, run-blocking and pass-protection. Only one of the four we're decent at executing (run-blocking) - and it's impossible to be a "balanced" offense or a sack yielding, ball-hawking defense without the other two.

Again, I say for the 5 pre-season on eve of a 6th; Until the 49ers get really serious about fixing the LOS, the team will not become significantly better. Show me a playoff team and I'll show you talented trenches.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
... Show me a playoff team and I'll show you talented trenches.

Yep. It's that simple.

Our players in the trenches aren't good enough because our front office isn't good enough.
Welcome back, doc. Hope that you are feeling better.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
I'm sure we'll challenge for division title at the very least.
Look on the bright side, we're in a very weak division, so if we get lucky ... well who knows. Then again, it's probably going to be more of the same that we've seen for the past half dozen years or so.
Hey, ZRF, GM, 9-4-9, Sus, it is great to hear from all you guys. Just a question:
Going into the draft and FA we desperately needed a starting OT, a passrushing fool at OLB, at least one starting DT/ NT/DE. Okay, we just signed an OL , a huge improvement over sims and marvel. Question is, what in the world did we do with the rest of the draft and FA (Haynesworth)?

Is it just me or did we really go into the draft/FA, and really and truly improve this team only by heralded WR we didn't need and can't sign, plus an OL we just signed last nite, plus a back up running back? If those were the high points of our draft/ FA, then we truly and dutifully are screwed. Is that really what happened as far as improving our team? Or am i overlooking something? If the Steelers or Pats had a draft like that, they would be out slashing their throats out of sheer embarrassment. I don't understand how jedi jed could possibly ignore something as egregious as that. True he knows nothing, but surely he can see how we didn't improve on virtually anything we needed. I know GM, Mad Dog, to name a few , could write a laundry list of what we needed and what we didn't get.

Oh, and as for drafting BPA, it may be a great strategy somewhere, but it certainly is no friend of ours.
Welcome back PD.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hey, ZRF, GM, 9-4-9, Sus, it is great to hear from all you guys. Just a question:
Going into the draft and FA we desperately needed a starting OT, a passrushing fool at OLB, at least one starting DT/ NT/DE. Okay, we just signed an OL , a huge improvement over sims and marvel. Question is, what in the world did we do with the rest of the draft and FA (Haynesworth)?

Is it just me or did we really go into the draft/FA, and really and truly improve this team only by heralded WR we didn't need and can't sign, plus an OL we just signed last nite, plus a back up running back? If those were the high points of our draft/ FA, then we truly and dutifully are screwed. Is that really what happened as far as improving our team? Or am i overlooking something? If the Steelers or Pats had a draft like that, they would be out slashing their throats out of sheer embarrassment. I don't understand how jedi jed could possibly ignore something as egregious as that. True he knows nothing, but surely he can see how we didn't improve on virtually anything we needed. I know GM, Mad Dog, to name a few , could write a laundry list of what we needed and what we didn't get.

Oh, and as for drafting BPA, it may be a great strategy somewhere, but it certainly is no friend of ours.

I think Haynesworth was asking for too much money. However, there were some other restricted prospects out there. I think when a player "falls" to us, we needed to do our homework. It could be true that Crabtree could have been a great signable prospect, but everything I've read says the 49ers were caught off guard, in addition Singletary was getting recommendations from Deion Sanders. The problem is McCloughan had already signed Brandon Jones and we still didn't know if Bruce was going to return. However, we still had Hill, Battle, Morgan etc. on the roster.

My issue is that we knew what we were before the draft with Hill at QB. We've known historically this team has had problems rushing the passer and pass-protection. And Singletary said "I want to run the ball" but in order for that philosophy to work, the defense must get the opposing team's offense off the field because running games are designed to control time.

You can't do that without a pass-rush.

People ask the question "well who was available" - I can't answer that question because I don't have a scouting team at every major college program nor do I scout every prospect in the NFL, but it's been glaringly obvious of the past few seasons, the 49ers have had few "diamonds-in-the-rough" become stars. Gore comes to mind, but on defense, outside of Parys Haralson who isn't a "star", it's been pretty slim pickings.

We paid $80 to a CB and another huge sume to Justin Smith, both who marginally helped the defense. Trade draft picks, work deals, etc. It seams like the 49ers ability to wheel and deal in the NFL suddenly has become stories you tell your kids...

I think we've been overly worried about WRs. If a QB has enough time, he can get the ball reliably to the receivers we had before we signed Jones. The issue is priorities; you may have to shell out some money and do your homework on OL prospects and bring them in. We've been using Davis as a extra OT/OG to help bock during passing. Well of course he'll never develop into a pass-catching TE because be "blocks so well" should be an asset to the versatility of the offensive game, not a necessity. The fact that Davis is one of the better OVERALL blockers on the team should speak volumes about the talent on the OL.

Same can be said for the defensive line. No one can tell me Isaac Soap has been worth that extended contract. We didn't want to lose him because "no one could replace him". Whatever. All of this makes me doubt the talent evaluations and development process because it KEEPS happening.

You shouldn't be putting together your starting OL in September. I know Smith "suddenly" retired, but when can you think of a time where the OL was ready, cohesive and good to go in week 1 for the 49ers with no question-marks, no issues, no drama? You can't - at least not for the past 6 or 7 seasons. Sure, the run blocking is going to be there, but you can't rack-up 300 yards rushing every game and score 21 points RUNNING. The 49ers like every team needs balance and you don't achieve that putting your staring OL together 6 days before you play.

It's not sexy and it won't win the love from the street initially, but as a GM, I would focus on the trenches so when I do select my franchise QB, he's not thrown to the wolves, loses his confidence and ends up like Alex Smith.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Sep 7, 2009 at 16:06:34 ]
Doc, really good to see you back on board. You were missed. Hope that all these surgeries have improved the quality of your life. Afetrr all, there is too much good Zinfandel out there for the tasting.......

Much good wisdom in this thread. Both ZRF80 and NinerGM make compeling points. I would only add that I believe that it is possible for the club to have more of a sense of urgency, without being reckless.

In particular,

1. How can Barry Sims still be on this roster?
2. How can there be no one on this roster to challenge Manny Lawson?
3. When will this club ever get unstuck at QB from the original Alex Smith selection?
4. When will signability get properly weighted in draft decisions?

It also fries me to see clubs like Miami and New Orleans come back from the dead, and Tennessee to completely re-build (behind Kerry Collins, no less!), while the Niners shuffle their way down Mediocracy Boulevard.

I'm hopeful. I'm supportive. And I'm damned impatient for a winner.

Keep the fire buring, Doc. I will keep bringing more firewood!
Pasodoc9er, so what you are saying is you have alot of pain killers, just take a few of them before kickoff and you will feel alot better about our Niners.
  • ZRF80
Not trying to downplay Singletary's attitude, but I think he's too engulfed with this "practice hard, play tough" mentality. Niner brass werent too aggressive in the offseason because for some reason, they were fooled into thinking that this team was physically fit, just not mentally. After all, we played like garbage in the first half of the 2008 season, only to finish strong when Singletary took over.

Unfortunately, this is NOT the 80s, and football is run by a different dynamics in today's game. Practice hard doesnt mean squat if you dont have the right personnel plugged into key positions. As I said, this team wasnt/isnt far from being a contender in this league. But if we keep wasting year after year relying on the draft, hoping that we'll strike gold eventually and get a great QB and a great WR and a great pass rusher, we'll end up wasting the talent that already exists on this roster. Our defense, aside from a solid pass rush, is pretty well equipped. Unfortunately, they're too busy playing from behind aka under pressure all the time.

A good QB pickup via free agency could go a long way for us. Not only does it buy us 3-4 good years, but NOW you have the time to develop a young quarterback. Im hoping Hill can hold his own this year, and I have faith in him........but geez, he sure as hell looked like doo-doo in preseason. But then again, its not like Singletary gave him any time to develop repertoire with his receivers. The guy only played a series in each game.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Summed it up pefectly

Rams>49ers we will finish last in the division

wow...what a thought, what would happen then? McCloughan would have to be fired.

If this indeed happens I would have to think so