There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I've read many "opinions" this offseason regarding Shaun Hill.....vote time!

I've read many "opinions" this offseason regarding Shaun Hill.....vote time!

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The real problem is not Shaun Hill. It is our abominable pass rush. THAT is the real problem.

I agree with that assesment. I would actually feel very good about a run at the division, if we could develop a consistent pass rush.
I voted Hills arm is weak and teams will figure it out. His arm the weakest of all starting Qbs in the NFL and his passes are ugly. So ugly that they hurt my 49ers pride each time he throws intermediate or deep. Im at a point right now id rather see Davis start than either Hill or Smith. Hill just makes me queasy, Smith makes me numb but Davis gives me a little hope. Not enough that id pass on top prospect next draft but enough to get thru this year atleast.
He is a scrub day in and Day out - Anyone who thinks he is a guy that is going to win any games for us (granted he may play well enough to not LOOSE the games but he will never win it) - Anyone who thinks he is a solid NFL starting QB are the same games that were screaming that Steve Bono should Start over Young after he came off the bench when Steve was hurt - He was then traded to KC given the starting job and promptly failed miserably - there is such a thing as a career backup - Hill is one in that category.

They should Sign Garcia and get 2 years out of him - Hope Nate Davis Develops or draft someone who will perform.

Out of the 7 games Shaun Hill started and the 49ers won - how many were contenders and how many of those games did he actually make a throw to win the game? Answer Zero - his biggest play that he lost his helmet and kept going for the TD we lost - Meaningless Wins is not leadership it is mediocrity...
Originally posted by Sugatis:
He is a scrub day in and Day out - Anyone who thinks he is a guy that is going to win any games for us (granted he may play well enough to not LOOSE the games but he will never win it) - Anyone who thinks he is a solid NFL starting QB are the same games that were screaming that Steve Bono should Start over Young after he came off the bench when Steve was hurt - He was then traded to KC given the starting job and promptly failed miserably - there is such a thing as a career backup - Hill is one in that category.

They should Sign Garcia and get 2 years out of him - Hope Nate Davis Develops or draft someone who will perform.

Out of the 7 games Shaun Hill started and the 49ers won - how many were contenders and how many of those games did he actually make a throw to win the game? Answer Zero - his biggest play that he lost his helmet and kept going for the TD we lost - Meaningless Wins is not leadership it is mediocrity...







Hill will be a fine place holder until we can draft or groom an elite starting QB, Hill's arm will be fine, Hill is a good NFL QB and will not make a lot of foolish mistakes.
Teams had him figured out during the preseason I fully expect they'll have him figured out during the regular season. You can attribute his production to knocking the rust off, but I don't think so.

Smith has an excuse being that he hasn't played for two seasons. Hill doesn't since he ran the Offense for the last 8 games and the Offense is virtually identical to last years squad. I'm hoping that he can do it but it's highly doubtful.

~Ceadder
You know its really tough to say. On one hand I want him to succeed and do well and I BELIEVE he will. But I also BELIEVED the same thing about Tim Rattay, Alex Smith, etc. I guess I'm just way to skeptical this time around.

I'm not one to downplay Shaun's 7-3 record but people have a point when questioning that record. That said, he did win those games and didnt choose the opponents or situations. I also cant say with 100% confidence that Alex would have led us to 5-2 last year.

Its a tough decision but for now I'm going with the skeptical choice of..."teams will figure him out." I think at the end of the day we are limited with Shaun and while he'll do good things, it will be limited. AT BEST we go 9-7 but thats it. We are RIGHT back at square one IMO. Thats the depressing part. Its 2009 and we still dont have a QB. I really wish we could just throw Alex in again and see what happens but thats neither here nor there

I do wish Shaun the best and I believe he will win for us...but Im just not 100% sold on him (as far as 16 games go). I think he can come in a few games and do some good things and win a few (Bono did, Grbac did, and Rattay did) but thats about it. Im not hating either. Again, I WANT HIM TO SUCCEED. Its about 65-35 right now with me.

We'll see.


*By the way, a lot of us dissect and analyze the 06 7-9 record and discount Alex's wins at "good defense" or "all Gore.." so thats why I think its fair to analyze Shauns 7-3. We have to hold both QBs to the same standard.

[ Edited by LambdaChi49 on Sep 6, 2009 at 21:33:25 ]
guys!!!!!! look how shaun performed in 07-08 preseason, horrible!! look how he performed 07-08 regular season, fantastic!!.. This preseason, if anything, Shaun Hill has played the best this preseason over the last 3 years in limited time.. I think Shaun Hill will pass for over 3200yds and finish up with about 20-22tdstds and give or take 12-15int.. Hill will NOT lose us games, PERIOD!!
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

*By the way, a lot of us dissect and analyze the 06 7-9 record and discount Alex's wins at "good defense" or "all Gore.." so thats why I think its fair to analyze Shauns 7-3. We have to hold both QBs to the same standard.

sure.....but last year, Gore was really struggling....maybe it was Martz's system, the designed plays or what ever...but Gore seemed like he wasn't finding holes or not hitting them quick enough.......but Hill and the rest of the offense picked it up...

this is what excites me this year.....our running game was not great last year....and it seems Gore is determined more than ever to play great this year and carry this team. As well as Vernon....Bruce came back because he believes in this team (and I'm sure Shaun).....Morgan is ready and Jason Hill has great chemistry with Shaun....Walker might finally get more plays....

with a strong running game it will be interesting to see what Hill and the receivers can do this year....last year they stepped up....this year we might be even better.

I think all the players are excited to start the season and pickup where they left of last year.....and I don't think they would be this motivated or excited if they didn't believe in Shaun Hill.....and I think some of the fans should too and just enjoy the season.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Persdonally I think Hill might fall on his face. He didn't get enough reps in pre-season and he looked out of sync. I know he played well last season but I also believe the team played with high emotion because of the Nolan firing and Singletary coming in.

I think with teams looking closer at hill I think they will scheme that short pass away from us and stack the box with 7-8 defenders. I pray that we can win some of the battles in the trenches. I know we can run block but pass blocking hasn't been out forte.

We dont agree on much but I never thought of it like that. That could very well be true.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

*By the way, a lot of us dissect and analyze the 06 7-9 record and discount Alex's wins at "good defense" or "all Gore.." so thats why I think its fair to analyze Shauns 7-3. We have to hold both QBs to the same standard.

sure.....but last year, Gore was really struggling....maybe it was Martz's system, the designed plays or what ever...but Gore seemed like he wasn't finding holes or not hitting them quick enough.......but Hill and the rest of the offense picked it up...

this is what excites me this year.....our running game was not great last year....and it seems Gore is determined more than ever to play great this year and carry this team. As well as Vernon....Bruce came back because he believes in this team (and I'm sure Shaun).....Morgan is ready and Jason Hill has great chemistry with Shaun....Walker might finally get more plays....

with a strong running game it will be interesting to see what Hill and the receivers can do this year....last year they stepped up....this year we might be even better.

I think all the players are excited to start the season and pickup where they left of last year.....and I don't think they would be this motivated or excited if they didn't believe in Shaun Hill.....and I think some of the fans should too and just enjoy the season.

I see what you're saying, I just think it may be false hope/excitement. Look, it would be one thing if Hill came in after Week 6 last year and led us to a 7-3 record and we ended up 9-7 or something i dunno. Im not saying he sucks or that he cant win...I just think what we see is what we get. Its hard to get excited about our offense being "limited."

Barry Sanders was a GREAT RB..but ultimately the Lions didnt get anywhere. We could hand the ball of 35x per game but we need a QB that can threaten defenses. Im not saying Smith can but I'm saying I dont believe (right now) that Hill can.

I agree with NinerFan818 and some others that Hills 5-2 record was culmination of things: playing against resting or weak teams, a gust of emotion from Nolan being fired and Sing's new type of motivation, etc. The players probably felt "free" and Hill may have been the symbol of a new "beginning." That said, ultimately the onus falls on Hill so he deserves credit but you cant compare those game to Hill starting a full 16 game season with teams being fully prepared for him, our team, etc. I dont think he will fail but I find it hard to believe that he will find major success. I'm sure he'll have initial success, but I think we'll be .500 or less by the BYE IMO. I really hope I'm wrong though.
  • ZRF80
  • Member
  • Posts: 13,551
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Teams had him figured out during the preseason I fully expect they'll have him figured out during the regular season. You can attribute his production to knocking the rust off, but I don't think so.

Smith has an excuse being that he hasn't played for two seasons. Hill doesn't since he ran the Offense for the last 8 games and the Offense is virtually identical to last years squad. I'm hoping that he can do it but it's highly doubtful.

~Ceadder

And what was Smith's excuse when he played the entire 2006 season and still stunk it up ?
I believe he will be fine. It maybe a slow start for the passing game but it will pick up in a few weeks. Besides I think we'll have a dominate running game and a solid defense. The passing lanes will open up.
Since we are running 60% of the time, his arm is strong enough to hand off to Gore / Coffee
Originally posted by insanemike27:
I believe he will be fine. It maybe a slow start for the passing game but it will pick up in a few weeks. Besides I think we'll have a dominate running game and a solid defense. The passing lanes will open up.

I say that time will be on Hills side. He'll get better and better eveery week.