There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I've read many "opinions" this offseason regarding Shaun Hill.....vote time!

I've read many "opinions" this offseason regarding Shaun Hill.....vote time!

Originally posted by pigskin:
Hill will realize how much better Martz is to his stats than Raye. Raye's structure will limit his ability to improvise, and he may end up s*cking.

this is what I was worried about when Martz was first fired.....but I thought back to when Holster and his replacement were in charge, which ran a very similar offense.....and he did fine in that type of offense. That is what I like about Shaun, he seems to be able to adapt to different offenses. I think this is a great benefit to have for a QB, especially now with how teams change coaches so often...be it a firing or OC's leaving for head coaching positions.

so that gives me some relief......for now.
As a Smith supporter, i think he'll be ok.

He won't put us on his back and lead us to victory but he'll be able to avoid the costly turnovers (hopefully..) and do just enough to keep the defense guessing.

-9fA
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Hill will realize how much better Martz is to his stats than Raye. Raye's structure will limit his ability to improvise, and he may end up s*cking.

this is what I was worried about when Martz was first fired.....but I thought back to when Holster and his replacement were in charge, which ran a very similar offense.....and he did fine in that type of offense. That is what I like about Shaun, he seems to be able to adapt to different offenses. I think this is a great benefit to have for a QB, especially now with how teams change coaches so often...be it a firing or OC's leaving for head coaching positions.

so that gives me some relief......for now.

I think the offense needs to adapt to Hill, not vice versa. This was what happened under both Hostler and Martz when Hill played.

BTW, did anyone notice Hill never seemed to step back as far has Davis on pass plays? This left no room for him to step into his throws.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
short answer = weak arm, blah blah, whatever else that option said... Without speaking in absolutes, I don't have much confidence that Hill will be anything more than average at best as our starting QB. Maybe that will be enough to give us a winning season... but I doubt it. I kept hearing about his poise and quick decision making that makes up for his subpar arm strength and physical limitations... just haven't seen it thus far. I don't know if it's the newfound pressure he's experiencing, lacking familiarity of scheme, or if he's been so overhyped that he fails to match expectations. I just know that he's looked worse than I remember, and what I remember wasn't grand to begin with. Hope I'm wrong and he can get things done, as losing sucks. If he can't get it done, I hope that Alex will and that SF is smart enough to exercise patience with developing Nate Davis.

agree 100 percent.
Voted for Hill doing well. Despite the weak preseason showing, it seems like Coach Sing and Raye were holding back a little (on both sides of the ball mind you). It really feels like they're instilling a "let them play" kind of attitude allowing the players to do what they are capable to do. We know this is going to be a run-oriented team, but we will fall behind time and time again this season and Hill has proven that he has the grit and tenacity to lead the team back. We're just going to have to get used to the "hard-nosed", "blue-colllar" play we're not so accustomed to here. If it gets us the big fat W in the end though, that's all that matters and I'm all for it.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Oldmanniner: Just remember that the starting offense has not played even ONE play together in the entire preseason,not one !!!
They are still ironing out an entirly new offense that has just been installed and two of the starting O linemen have only played a little in that last game and Hill was splitting time all camp with Smithmfor who knows what silly reason.

Hill has a 90.5 QB rating and had THE best winning % of any NFC QB during the time he started last year. He had a better QB rating than several of what we would instantly say are some of the top QB's in the NFL. One starting WR has hardly played at all and another is new (Spurlock) and VD hardly has played and Gore has hardly played ,and for most of the preseason,he had sims and the rookie Boone blocking for him (or missing blocks) .
I am for waiting to see what Jimmy Raye has in store for us and I am for actually watching our starting offense FOR THE FIRST TIME this season,for a few games,before I make any judgements.
Just think of this statement for a moment...Our starting offensive lineup has not even played together for ONE play this entire preseason in a game!!! And you want to judge how well they will do this season ? Come on .
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Oldmanniner: Just remember that the starting offense has not played even ONE play together in the entire preseason,not one !!!
They are still ironing out an entirly new offense that has just been installed and two of the starting O linemen have only played a little in that last game and Hill was splitting time all camp with Smithmfor who knows what silly reason.

Hill has a 90.5 QB rating and had THE best winning % of any NFC QB during the time he started last year. He had a better QB rating than several of what we would instantly say are some of the top QB's in the NFL. One starting WR has hardly played at all and another is new (Spurlock) and VD hardly has played and Gore has hardly played ,and for most of the preseason,he had sims and the rookie Boone blocking for him (or missing blocks) .
I am for waiting to see what Jimmy Raye has in store for us and I am for actually watching our starting offense FOR THE FIRST TIME this season,for a few games,before I make any judgements.
Just think of this statement for a moment...Our starting offensive lineup has not even played together for ONE play this entire preseason in a game!!! And you want to judge how well they will do this season ? Come on .

I'm all for waiting to make judgements as well... except that we were asked to make a judgement by the OP of this thread. Add to that, I made no guaranteed claim as to how Hill would do... only that I had some doubts about him. As for all the rest of your comments, that sounds much like excuses that would be quickly dismissed if we were talking about any other QB. I know it's early, so I'll give it time... but so far, I am not expecting much from Hill and hope that he pleasantly surprises me.
  • Hctr
  • Veteran
I voted Hill will play well , My reasoning is this ; he may not have the strong arm nor may he possess the best of athletic abilities , But he does have the heart and drive to play the position of QB it may not be that pretty but he does know how to get the job done and win some games for us . I also agree with the owner of this post , We cant afford to put our team in bad field position and be to predictable.
We will finally have a winning season but only by the skin of our teeth. Hill will sustain games for us and make some good plays but he wont lose them for us like JTO. But he is only temporarily filling a void that will be filled by a new kid come April. He will stay with the organization has a good backup and basic mentor, then leave. People will always say he could of done more if he had greater weapons like Smith supporters do. I am a Smith supporter but I have come to terms with reality and he will never be our answer, call it a team bust. Hill is a good QB but not a great one, the difference is double digit wins in a season. I like both Hill and Smith, but they are holdovers from the old regime that will sooner rather then later be leaving vacant jersey numbers for better athletes.

I hope for the best and a 8-8.....9-7 season but I don't expect more.
Originally posted by DANADA:
if Chad Pennington can do it so can Hill

Cept Pennington was reasonably good before a srting of injuries where as S Hill is a career 2nd/3rd stringer. He will show the FO why we will use one or both 1st's to secure a franchise player at the position.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
No excuses Oldman,just the facts. If it was the regular season,then he plays with who the HC puts on the field and better find a way to win(like he did nearly every time he has played). But this preseason was not real. It was not a real test.
We will see starting next week and in the first month or so.
Shaun Hill = gamer.

49er's go 9-7 for wildcard berth. After that, it's a whole new ball game.
I voted. Hill will be fine, unless you have unrealistic expectations...

He's not Elway, Farve, Marino, or Manning. He doesn't have a big rocket arm. Of course other QB's without rocket arms have managed to do ok in the NFL...

Did you know that(gasp, dare I say it) Joe Montana put together a half decent career?

Hill is not Warner, and he doesn't have Martz as an offensive coordinator this year. Of course other QB's have done well in the NFL, and they didn't need Mike Martz...

Did you know... Troy Aikman only threw for 20 or more TD's ONCE in his career?

Did you know... Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won Superbowls?

Listen, unless you're willing to put more weight on a few snaps in the pre-season's final three games, than what he did last year and the first pre-season game this year, than what is there to worry about? Hill is what he is, and he fits well on this team.

He is not going to be asked to throw a 15 or 20 yard out pattern very often. Big deal. He's not a typical "franchise QB". Obviously. But he does have the physical and mental tools to play within a system that relies on the running game and defense to win football games.

Hey I can understand as fans wanting to get the next great QB, or even a top 10 QB. Realistically though, these are footballs players, they are not made from cookie cutters and baked in an oven.

I would be surprised if Shaun Hill is the reason the 49ers don't make the playoffs. Many teams have made it to the playoffs by running the rock, playing solid defense. They didn't need a top 10 rocket armed QB.

I think the Madden game, and fantasy football, have made it difficult for some fans to be realistic.

[ Edited by 49erFan on Sep 6, 2009 at 20:01:42 ]
Until he lays an egg, I have no reason to panic. It's not pretty, but it has been effective.

The real problem is not Shaun Hill. It is our abominable pass rush. THAT is the real problem.

I think you have that backwards. It's the Martz system that allows for very little improvisation. Everything about Martz's system is scripted and precise. Martz has stated many times that he doesn't want QBs changing things. Martz isn't big on QBs improvising, he wants them to do things one way, the Martz way.