There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Who's Michael Crabtree?

Isn't there a game this weekend?
The 49ers should change the $8mill or so incentive clause, I can't blame Crabtree and his people for not believing he will catch a lot of passes when you keep reading that Jimmy Raye and Mike Singletary want to run the ball 60% of the time. I think the 49ers should change the incentives to how many snaps/percentage of snaps Crabtree plays a game.
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by battletowin:
Sources: Crabtree no closer to ending holdout

This was over the minute Sanders opened his mouth. Crabtree does not want to play here.

I think if Crabtree didn't want to play here, he wouldn't have come and started training in the bay area.

thats the confusing part. i read that he is staying the bay area and training.
On the other hand i read that he will sit out and re-enter the draft.
Both sources believe that Crabtree has been told by other teams that they will take him in the first round of next year’s draft.

Come on Goodell grow a pair and investigate
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Who's Michael Crabtree?

Isn't there a game this weekend?

There is thank god. But until then back to crabtree....
man, im hurt over this whole thing.

i thought we finally had a pair similar to fitz and boldin with crabtree and morgan. f**k it, i'm down with morgan and hill !
Don't know if this is on here as I didn't want to go through all 88 pages, but here is the last jackass that held out a season

Kelly Wayne Stouffer (born July 6, 1964 in Scottsbluff, Nebraska) is a former American football quarterback in the NFL. He spent his entire four year career with the Seattle Seahawks from 1988-1992. He graduated from Rushville High School in Rushville, Nebraska and attended Colorado State University. He currently serves as a television color analyst for Minnesota Vikings pre-season games, as well as college football games for Versus and ESPN Plus.

At the conclusion of his collegiate career, he achieved notoriety when, after being selected by the St Louis Cardinals in the first round of the 1987 NFL Draft, he sat out what would have been his rookie year due to an inability agree on a contract. The following season, the Cardinals traded his rights to the Seattle Seahawks, who arrived at a deal establishing Stouffer as the "Quarterback of the Future" behind starter Dave Krieg and veteran backup Jeff Kemp. The future seemed to come early when the often inconsistent Krieg was sidelined with a separated shoulder. The following week Kemp was horrendously ineffective starting in place of Krieg and was benched in favor of Stouffer by halftime. Stouffer endeared himself to Seattle fans in one play where, after having his nose broken, he retained his composure and threw for a long gain resulting in a touchdown. For several weeks, Stouffer filled in until Krieg returned to the lineup. Unfortunately, he seemed to regress in the eyes of Seahawk coaches over the next couple of years, and fell back to third string behind Kemp, despite the latter appearing unimpressive in relief of Krieg.

Once Seahawk head coach Chuck Knox was replaced by Tom Flores and Dave Krieg was let go, Stouffer won the starting job, beating out Dan McGwire and Stan Gelbaugh. However, the season was horrendous, with Stouffer losing every game he started before being injured and being unable to play for several weeks. After McGwire was quickly injured, journeyman Gelbaugh became the starter, yielding the job to Stouffer once he recovered. Stouffer, who seemed to have been showing a return to his rookie form just before his injury, was never the same, however, and Gelbaugh quickly became the established starter. Both of Seattle's victories of the horrific 1992 season came with Gelbaugh on the field. The following season, when Seattle's starting quarterback was 1993 first round draft pick Rick Mirer, Stouffer was no longer with the team.

Kelly Stouffer was signed by the Carolina Panthers to a free agent contract in May 1996 but lasted less than one season.
  • KNRO1670
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Originally posted by bjghum:
Originally posted by susweel:
Why not a peep from the 49ers on this tampering issue?

An NFL employee goes on national TV and says that he and Crabtree know that there are two teams out there who would pay and trade for him? Multilple sources are coming out of the woodwork wtih tales of teams looking to trade for him etc?

Like PFT said.... Why aren't the 49ers LIVID about all this noise?

If I'm York, or our so called football orcale Parragg, I'm on the phone with Goodell looking for some F-ing answers. Why the hell isn't the NFL asking F-ing Deion who his source is?

This seems like a weak team with a weak front office getting the shaft.

Maybe they like the shaft.

Yes, I'm starting to think Jed and the boys love the shaft.

And they still can't figure out what it looks like.

I think they're holding out hope that he'll sign before making waves. If he doesn't sign... I would expect the 49ers to go all in on requesting tampering charges!
Originally posted by KNRO1670:
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Originally posted by susweel:
Why not a peep from the 49ers on this tampering issue?

An NFL employee goes on national TV and says that he and Crabtree know that there are two teams out there who would pay and trade for him? Multilple sources are coming out of the woodwork wtih tales of teams looking to trade for him etc?

Like PFT said.... Why aren't the 49ers LIVID about all this noise?

If I'm York, or our so called football orcale Parragg, I'm on the phone with Goodell looking for some F-ing answers. Why the hell isn't the NFL asking F-ing Deion who his source is?

This seems like a weak team with a weak front office getting the shaft.

Maybe they like the shaft.

Yes, I'm starting to think Jed and the boys love the shaft.

And they still can't figure out what it looks like.

I think they're holding out hope that he'll sign before making waves. If he doesn't sign... I would expect the 49ers to go all in on requesting tampering charges!

so would we get draft picks from the teams that did the tampering?
Does anyone honestly (be honest now) believe that he would be thrilled to sign a 10th overall slotted contract, and would do so? Especially after seeing a temporary injury push him down the board, and get passed by DHB.

This contract problem was obvious a long time ago, so I don't see why people are so upset to this date. This is not a normal 10th overall selection, it surely wasn't on draft day, and it won't magically become one just because we want it to.

The Niners are going to have to craft a creative contract to get this done, and if not, I think he simply walks away.

P.S. Once again, I don't understand the anger. I think if you put yourself in Crabtree's shoes as one of the dominant players entering the draft, seeing your stock drop due to a temporary injury, personally knowing that you should have been the first WR picked if not for that temporary injury, see that player who undeservedly jump you receive a massively overinflated salary, only to see him stink it up in camps and preseason games, hear of interest from other teams who are willing to throw down big money on you, and are interested in you as their first rounder next year, and think that you can prove the doubters wrong....why would you want to sign a fully-slotted 10th overall contract.

People are way too overemotional. He simply thinks he deserves better, and I believe he has a good case.

Furious response in 5,4,3,2,1...go!

Wait, one final note: If Crabtree was willing to sign for one dollar less than DHB before Monroe and Raji signed, the Niners were the ones who screwed up. The 8th and 9th slots were not closed until late in the negotiation game. The Niners could have not "broken the slot" if they gave Crabtree one less dollar than DHB. Of course, we will never know what each side offered, if Crabtree wanted more, if the Niners offered something more than now before Monroe and Raji signed, etc.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 8, 2009 at 14:26:19 ]
The stakes are about to get serious for Crabtree. To this point, holding out has cost him nothing (except skipping Singletary's brutal TC). But beginning Sunday, September 13, he loses 1/17th of his potential 2009 salary. That's a big number. He can't replace those dollars with a comparable job.

I expect him to sign within the next 72 hours. All this bull from Deion Sanders, etc is a last gasp negotiating strategy. Time favors the Niners and seriously hurts Crabtree. McCloughan, Crabtree and Eugene Parker all know this.

The Niners are handling this perfectly. No negative comments directed toward Crabtree. I foresee a 2-part response by the club. First, sign Crabtree. Second, and ONLY after Crabtree is signed, the club will be ruthless in going after some draft pick compensation for the obvious tampering. But that is being kept under wraps for now, in order to maintain a positive environment for Crabtree to sign.

If Crabtree's holdout continues into the regular season, through Week 3 or so, it becomes more likely that the Niners would find a "pre-existing physical issue", so that they could PUP him through Week 6, then drop a player to add him to the 53-man roster. Crabtree could then have time to learn the playbook and be a productive contributor to the 53-man roster.
Colts GM Bill Pollian was just interviewed on NFL Network. He was asked about his take on the 49ers and Michael Crabtree situation. Did anyone watch it?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Does anyone honestly (be honest now) believe that he would be thrilled to sign a 10th overall slotted contract, and would do so? Especially after seeing a temporary injury push him down the board, and get passed by DHB.

This contract problem was obvious a long time ago, so I don't see why people are so upset to this date. This is not a normal 10th overall selection, it surely wasn't on draft day, and it won't magically become one just because we want it to.

The Niners are going to have to craft a creative contract to get this done, and if not, I think he simply walks away.

P.S. Once again, I don't understand the anger. I think if you put yourself in Crabtree's shoes as one of the dominant players entering the draft, seeing your stock drop due to a temporary injury, personally knowing that you should have been the first WR picked if not for that temporary injury, see that player who undeservedly jump you receive a massively overinflated salary, only to see him stink it up in camps and preseason games, hear of interest from other teams who are willing to throw down big money on you, and are interested in you as their first rounder next year, and think that you can prove the doubters wrong....why would you want to sign a fully-slotted 10th overall contract.

People are way too overemotional. He simply thinks he deserves better, and I believe he has a good case.

Wait, one final note: If Crabtree was willing to sign for one dollar less than DHB before Monroe and Raji signed, the Niners were the ones who screwed up. The 8th and 9th slots were not closed until late in the negotiation game. The Niners could have not "broken the slot" if they gave Crabtree one less dollar than DHB. Of course, we will never know what each side offered, if Crabtree wanted more, if the Niners offered something more than now before Monroe and Raji signed, etc.

Crabtree would have signed before either of those guys. He was intending to wait for DHB to sign so he would know how much to ask for.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I see what you're saying but there was a reason teams passed on him. Whether it was because of his foot or him being immature and a drama queen. If all the teams knew he was that damn good they would've drafted him higher but he wasn't. He needs to know this is how the draft works, you're drafted where you are and that's that. Yes he's a hell of a WR and has a load of talent and he needs to prove that on the field instead of holding out for more money. Prove you're worth the s**t load of money on the field first.
  • KNRO1670
  • Info N/A
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for KNRO1670.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Colts GM Bill Pollian was just interviewed on NFL Network. He was asked about his take on the 49ers and Michael Crabtree situation. Did anyone watch it?

Let me guess... "Michael Crabtree would be foolish to sit out the season" and "I expect him to sign in the next week" Just a guess, but it seems that all of these pundits are spewing the same info/opinion
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home