There are 147 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Trent Dilfer's interview with ESPN radio with Michael Kay, link on the other Crabtree thread:
Dilfer, on Crabtree: "The kid is a really fine athlete. A lot has been made of his holdout, and I agreed early on that I wouldn't get in on all that. That's not my role as an analyst for ESPN. I have a close relationship with the 49ers people, so it just wasn't appropriate for me to get involved in that realm. But I felt I could mentor him, coach him up, help him out, and be a live arm for him to catch some live balls.

I was very impressed. He was in great shape. He works incredibly hard. He's actually in one-on-one time with him a humble kid, he wants to learn and he wants to be great, and that is what struck me after a couple days with him, how great he wants to be, how he approached it, and I was thoroughly impressed in my two day workout with him.

Q: Some have said that he has not been working out due to a football injury. Is it true?

Dilfer: "I can tell you that it isn't true. He's very healthy, he can line up right now and play, so you can take it from me, those rumors are not true."

Q: Is this kid making a smart move? Is there an end game for holding out as long as he has?

Dilfer: "I don't see it. I don't see it this late in the process. I understand holdouts early in the process. I understand their pride is being hurt. I really believe he is much better than the two receivers taken ahead of him. I think the 49ers believe it, that there is no doubt about that. But, I don't know what is going on now. I think he is getting some advice from some people, not real good advice, but I also think he is a very, you know he compartmentalizes things, the kid impresses me because he is very focused, you see him saying, I'm going to focus on getting better, and I'm going to let the people that I hired do the other stuff; he doesn't know the business and he is so locked up is his world of getting better and being prepared, I can see him compartmentalizing this and not seeing the end result of this.

Q: It just seems such a waste. Football players' careers are so short, and to throw a year away is just sad, I hope he comes to an agreement, but I don't know if he will.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The interview continues with a question about Eric Mangini (this is the same person who accused Michael Crabtree of being a diva, and then passing on him with the 5th overall by trading down). The questioner and Trent Dilfer both proclaim the complete shock over the stupidity of Mangini not naming a starting QB. Interesting transition from the Crabtree conversation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In conclusion: I have encouraged the board for weeks now not to make character assassinations on Crabtree, as nobody really knows if he is the "greedy, selfish, evil" person labeled by many on the board. It seems that Trent Dilfer did not get that impression at all after spending two days with the kid. Now, could he have been bluffing? Maybe. However, I think it is premature to blame the kid for the contract negotiation, as many have suggested, and even more foolish and premature to paint him as a bad guy.

I wish him the best on his next franchise.

I'm glad Dilfer talked about Crabtree. Sounds like he is good kid & needs to get some better advice from somebody. Really hope he wakes up & gets in here!
Trent Dilfer's interview with ESPN radio with Michael Kay, link on the other Crabtree thread:
Dilfer, on Crabtree: "The kid is a really fine athlete. A lot has been made of his holdout, and I agreed early on that I wouldn't get in on all that. That's not my role as an analyst for ESPN. I have a close relationship with the 49ers people, so it just wasn't appropriate for me to get involved in that realm. But I felt I could mentor him, coach him up, help him out, and be a live arm for him to catch some live balls.

I was very impressed. He was in great shape. He works incredibly hard. He's actually in one-on-one time with him a humble kid, he wants to learn and he wants to be great, and that is what struck me after a couple days with him, how great he wants to be, how he approached it, and I was thoroughly impressed in my two day workout with him.

Q: Some have said that he has not been working out due to a football injury. Is it true?

Dilfer: "I can tell you that it isn't true. He's very healthy, he can line up right now and play, so you can take it from me, those rumors are not true."

Q: Is this kid making a smart move? Is there an end game for holding out as long as he has?

Dilfer: "I don't see it. I don't see it this late in the process. I understand holdouts early in the process. I understand their pride is being hurt. I really believe he is much better than the two receivers taken ahead of him. I think the 49ers believe it, that there is no doubt about that. But, I don't know what is going on now. I think he is getting some advice from some people, not real good advice, but I also think he is a very, you know he compartmentalizes things, the kid impresses me because he is very focused, you see him saying, I'm going to focus on getting better, and I'm going to let the people that I hired do the other stuff; he doesn't know the business and he is so locked up is his world of getting better and being prepared, I can see him compartmentalizing this and not seeing the end result of this.

Q: It just seems such a waste. Football players' careers are so short, and to throw a year away is just sad, I hope he comes to an agreement, but I don't know if he will.
The interview continues with a question about Eric Mangini (this is the same person who accused Michael Crabtree of being a diva, and then passing on him with the 5th overall by trading down). The questioner and Trent Dilfer both proclaim the complete shock over the stupidity of Mangini not naming a starting QB. Interesting transition from the Crabtree conversation.
In conclusion: I have encouraged the board for weeks now not to make character assassinations on Crabtree, as nobody really knows if he is the "greedy, selfish, evil" person labeled by many on the board. It seems that Trent Dilfer did not get that impression at all after spending two days with the kid. Now, could he have been bluffing? Maybe. However, I think it is premature to blame the kid for the contract negotiation, as many have suggested, and even more foolish and premature to paint him as a bad guy.

Dilfer is a brown-noser. Remember all the great things he said about Alex Smith? He actually played with Alex Smith, he threw some passes to Crabtree and now he KNOWS what type a person Crabtree is? I'm calling bull.
Originally posted by SVcabron1980:

Dilfer is a brown-noser. Remember all the great things he said about Alex Smith? He actually played with Alex Smith, he threw some passes to Crabtree and now he KNOWS what type a person Crabtree is? I'm calling bull.

I think you want to believe Dilfer is a brown noser. While everyone in this discussion should be taken with a grain of salt, I think you would be hard-pressed to find one journalist/coach/GM/player who would state that Dilfer is not known as a straight up guy.

It seems like you want to make a character assassination of anyone who compliments Crabtree in any way. This perspective takes away any chance that you appear to be relevant in the conversation.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i don't know maddog. i want crabby on this team and i dont think he is all to blame, but he is the one person that can put an end to this.

you can say "well he's getting bad advice, well this and that" but he's not a 3 year old, he can make decisions on his own.

i don't think the guy is outright selfish or only cares about money either. i think if DHB had gotten a 5 year, $18 mil contract with $17 mil guaranteed then crabtree would accept the offer we're giving him. he wants a contract that is the same or better than DHB and strangely it has nothing to do with money.

i hope it all gets worked out but every day that passes makes it seem less likely :(

Since two can tango, the Niners can also end this impasse.

there are no guarantees that the 49ers can end this. crabtree could have decided he just doesn't want to play for us. the ONLY PERSON who can complete this contract is crabtree, not the 49ers.

but its like that superman movie said: "the night is always darkest before morning time, and maybe miguel cangrejoárbol will sign on saturday"

And the ONLY PERSON who can draw up the contract is the Niners. This is a contract negotiation. There are two parties.

they've already drawn up a contract. whether it's fair or not depends on who you talk to (even though no one but the 49ers and crabtree knows what it is).

point being, all things being even, the ball is in crabtrees court. i think he understands the 49ers aren't moving up and if he doesn't think it's worth his time to sign the contract being offered (which we know is money between the #9 and #11 pick) then he's not going to sign.

like i said, this is on crabtree and if he's serious about playing then he'll sign. if not then he'll get traded in march (he will not see the 2010 draft, that much i guarantee)
7 more pages until he signs
Originally posted by valrod33:

I'll take the over.

Dilfer -- 'Jim Hostler will be a superstar offensive coordinator in this league'.

Nuff said.
Originally posted by valrod33:

200! 200! 200! Come on baby!
He will start losing Money if he dose not he sign by saturday night ! he is greedy and he is going to lose money and lots of it .
Originally posted by Xestenz:

Dilfer -- 'Jim Hostler will be a superstar offensive coordinator in this league'.

Nuff said.

Hostler: "Alex, here are the new plays I just copied from Tecmo Bowl. As long as the other team does not pick the same play, we will succeed!"

i don't know maddog. i want crabby on this team and i dont think he is all to blame, but he is the one person that can put an end to this.

you can say "well he's getting bad advice, well this and that" but he's not a 3 year old, he can make decisions on his own.

i don't think the guy is outright selfish or only cares about money either. i think if DHB had gotten a 5 year, $18 mil contract with $17 mil guaranteed then crabtree would accept the offer we're giving him. he wants a contract that is the same or better than DHB and strangely it has nothing to do with money.

i hope it all gets worked out but every day that passes makes it seem less likely :(

there are no guarantees that the 49ers can end this. crabtree could have decided he just doesn't want to play for us. the ONLY PERSON who can complete this contract is crabtree, not the 49ers.

but its like that superman movie said: "the night is always darkest before morning time, and maybe miguel cangrejoárbol will sign on saturday"

And the ONLY PERSON who can draw up the contract is the Niners. This is a contract negotiation. There are two parties.

they've already drawn up a contract. whether it's fair or not depends on who you talk to (even though no one but the 49ers and crabtree knows what it is).

point being, all things being even, the ball is in crabtrees court. i think he understands the 49ers aren't moving up and if he doesn't think it's worth his time to sign the contract being offered (which we know is money between the #9 and #11 pick) then he's not going to sign.

like i said, this is on crabtree and if he's serious about playing then he'll sign. if not then he'll get traded in march (he will not see the 2010 draft, that much i guarantee)

They've already drawn up a contract AND he's already not signed it. Therefore, there are three options: 1) Nothing by both sides; 2) Crabtree signing the existing contract; 3) The Niners drawing up a new contract.

So, the ball is in both courts. If the Niners know that Crabtree won't sign it, they will have to draw up a new contract.

It works both ways.

They've already drawn up a contract AND he's already not signed it. Therefore, there are three options: 1) Nothing by both sides; 2) Crabtree signing the existing contract; 3) The Niners drawing up a new contract.

So, the ball is in both courts. If the Niners know that Crabtree won't sign it, they will have to draw up a new contract.

It works both ways.

They seriously don't use counter offers in these negotiations?
man i can not believe we've got 193 pages talking about this degenerate
Originally posted by Xestenz:

Nuff said.

If that is what he thought in his heart, that is not brown nosing. That is simply a bad prediction. And, everyone is entitled to a bad prediction from time to time, correct? This does not show intent.

Why would Trent Dilfer try to suck up to a rookie WR? He stated in the interview that he wanted to mentor the kid. How does brown-nosing fit into that equation. He simply gave his views on what he saw.

Some of you guys are so jaded, that you are blinded to the possibility that there could be anything complimentary to say about the kid. In other words, concede a point. The square world will still rotate.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 11, 2009 at 21:08:27 ]
Originally posted by ssahnan:
man i can not believe we've got 193 pages talking about this degenerate

This board can pull off 300 page threads on the topic "I Farted"
Share 49ersWebzone