LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Espn just on--Regular Season Record

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
PRETTY UPSET WEBZONERS! NOT WITH WHAT SOMEONES OPINION IS... BUT THAT OUR OWN FANS WOULD AGREE WITH THAT. SHAUN HILL WAS 7-3 LAST YEAR AS OUR STARTER. WHY CAN'T YOU CLAIM HIM AS A WINNER?

You must have had a big sip of the Koolaid. There is being a fan, and then there is being a fanatic. A fan can actually process that something isn't altogether right within the kingdom.

In the 80 and early 90s we had talented FAs begging to hitch their wagon's to the 49ers. Can you tell me the last time someone wanted to do that?

Ask yourself why?

- We consider it a good thing when we have a "competent" game manager at qb,
who just doesn't give the game away. That's a success?

- We don't have any true 1 WRs. Yes, we have an old "former" all pro. That's
right we have Morgan, but our qb can't "shotput" the ball far enough with
accuracy.

- Our O-line is good at run blocking, but can't seem to keep defenses away from
our qb long enough to throw a longer pass.

- Our defense prides itself on allowing opposing QBs lunch break on obvious pass
patterns.

- Our offensive game plan is great for consuming time off the clock, and our best
offensive weapon appears to be our place kicker. Our offensive game plan is
equivalent to the Saints of the late 80s. Hey 3 points is good.

- We are all abuzz about a DE that is very fast (Ice) but never seems to get to the
QB on time. Now apparently we will have to blitz to get any pass rush.

- Our most valuable player over the past couple of years is a punter, because he
hasn't "f***ed" up that often.

Yes, we hired coach "nutcracker", but if your offense can't stay on the field, your
defense is going to be worn out.

Oh, and I just touched on some of our division rivals. We play to games against
a division foe that probably has one of the most prolific passing games seen in
recent years. Guess what, they just added a quality running back to go with that.
Mr. Warner's going to get fat "having all that time to each lunch".

Another of our division foes has a stout defense that's pretty good at stopping the
run.

Then we get to play the AFC South, and the NFC North. Let's see who's in these
divisions:

Indy Colts - Hmm, Peyton Manning, Wayne, Gonzalez, and a couple of RBs.
But....all their defense has is Bob Sanders you say. Who needs
a defense when you've got Peyton Manning and his offensive cast,
against a non-existant pash rush

Jaguars - They were bad last year, but they made improvements.

Titans - But, NVNinerfan they lost Haynesworth. Right, keep thinking that
way.

Texans - They only have the 2nd best receiver (Johnson), a good tight end
(Daniels) and a pretty good RB (Slaton). Let's forget about
them.

Packers - Well there rebuilding their defense (3-4). Sorry, it appears they
only start this, but are about 3 to 4 years ahead of us. Offense,
they actually have a qb that can throw deep.

Bears - Oh, heck Cutler's not that good, and their defense is getting old.
Right.

Vikings - Hey didn't that old qb sign with them? Hey we beat him last year.
But....the jets didn't have AP, Taylor, Berrien and a TE that can get
open and catch the ball. Oh, and should we talk about the Williams
and their defense. Oh, you mean the best run defense in the NFL?

Lions - Finally God smiles on us. Not so fast, there may be some suprises.

Yup, I just see us going 10-6 all day.

Dude you are funny...

#1. The Chicago defense is getting old and while adapt at rushing the QB...they are having a horrible time against the run and have 2 CB's that are very banged up. Cutler has had just as much success in the win column as Alex Smith and just because he has a rocket arm means absolutely nothing if their receiving situation is 30 times worse than ours.

#2. Tennessee has still not improved their WR situation and while they are adept at running the football...they are pretty much a deadlock with what the 49ers are trying to do as a team.

#3. The Packers are a good team and they do have a QB who can throw it...but they also have issues on the offensive line and their defense in VERY much a work in progress outside of the secondary.

#4. The Vikings will be without Kevin and Pat Williams for the first 4 games of the season and if you think Berrian is anything close to a #1 besides being paid like it...you my friend are a tad delusional. BTW they alos lost their center fielder in Sharper and their pass rush is actually worse than that of the 49ers.

#5. Yeah the Texans do have a great WR, a good RB and a good TE. But their offensive line has never come together since they played their first NFL game...their secondary is terrible outside of Donta Robinson and Demeco Ryans is the only LB they have that makes an impact.

#6. What improvements have the Jaguars made??? They cut their 2nd best runner and never replaced him. Their pass rush is still an enigma. They also signed a "former" all pro (Holt) and it still doesnt make their WR situation any better. Their RT/LT situation is being placed in the hands of 2 rookies (but since they were drafted high that makes them impact players I guess to you). Overall they have not made ANY significant improvements and their coach is on the volcano seat.

#7. The Colts are having a littany of problems right now. Their defense has not improved...they are VERY concerned about Tony Ugoh right now for the long term. They do not have that potent 3rd WR that makes their offense so dangerous and besides Bob Sanders and Bethea their secondary is questionable at best.

You convienently left out that Beanie Wells is already proving his injury prone doubters correct. The Cardinals STILL have not solidified their offensive line and Warner is a year closer to 40.

The Seahawks will be without Walter Jones for I believe 4-6 weeks possibly unless his prognosis has gotten better. The rest of the offensive line is still a question mark and their defense is not any better than it was last year...which isnt saying a whole lot.

The Rams are rebuilding and thats that.

I mean you are hell bent on believing the 49ers arent worth a damn but you are leaving out all of the problems that teams on our schedule are having as well. The 49ers have made some decent improvments to the team but moreso in the stability aspect of the franchise than in the personnel. Sometimes that is really the only boost you need if you have the talent to compete on Sundays.

Maybe you should stop being so damn pessimistic and realize that about 75% of NFL teams have more than one question mark heading into the season.

I understand the last 5 years have made you weary but even you have to admit that the level of stability has risen and it is time to move forward with this team.

Believe it or not, I do want to be optimistic. However, you can't look past some of the glowing problems we have. If a QB has any decent receivers, our pass rush will make them look like Montana/Young to Rice/Taylor.

I realize other teams have problems also, but yes Warner is close to 40. How old was Moon when he put up his numbers.

As for the William's you miss one major point. It's a Minnesota judge that is making the ruling and quite a few believe that the results will be after this season is over with. Hey, I'm not the judge just saying what I have heard.

Green Bays defensive work in progress is still getting more pressure than our 3
year, 3-4 experience.

If we had healthy or signed receivers that can get open, and a qb that could throw the deep ball, I'd feel real optimistic about our chances this year.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Absolutely. We are around a .500 team. A lucky break in a game or two is the difference between going 6-10 or 10-6 and anything in-between.

7-9 is not an insult, nor is it giving us the benefit of the doubt in the close ones.

And we have done nothing, on the field, or with any of our off season moves to earn any kind of credit yet.

We still can run and stop the run. We still can't convert or stop the other teams from converting on 3rd and long. No pass rush and no dynamic QB or playmakers means we will struggle against better teams and win or lose close ones against the rest of the league.

It's as simple as that. And until we prove otherwise, we shouldn't expect anyone else to assume differently.

Agreed.

I wonder what everybody is predicting on the Panthers since the 9ers have their 1st round pick in 2010.

Week 1 and 2 is going to be key. The 9ers need to take advantage of SEA banged up O-Line.
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
werent the SF giants also predicted to be last in the division this year lol. who knows what will happen though.

yeah predictions mean nothing, did anyone predict the Cardinals to make the superbowl last year?

Predictions are opinions, and opinions are just like a*****es. Everybody has one.
Originally posted by stormman:
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
werent the SF giants also predicted to be last in the division this year lol. who knows what will happen though.

yeah predictions mean nothing, did anyone predict the Cardinals to make the superbowl last year?

Predictions are opinions, and opinions are just like a*****es. Everybody has one.

Yes they are. I'm willing to let the season play out & watch.
Originally posted by dbdublin:
7 - 9 sounds about right for conventional wisdom. If Singletary can get them to over achieive like last year 9 - 7 is certainly possible.

7-9 sounds right??

7-9 is a mike nolan team. why would 7-9 be ok? we won 5 of our last 7 games under sing, and the dolphins loss could have easily been a win. same with the cardinals loss.

if the ball bounced our way at the end in both the miami and AZ games, we could have gone 7-1 to finish the season. this is a much better team than people think. just poorly guided.

we just fired nolan and hired sing so we wouldnt go 7-9. assuming thats what we will be again this year is saying we dont improve at all from last year. people are forgetting we went 2-5 when Nolan got fired. 5 of our 9 losses came from a horrible coach. lets even say 6 of 9, because the seattle game left sing no chance to organize his own gameplan. it was still nolans mess.

we didnt lose anyone, and we gained a couple guys. 10 wins+ should be the expectation.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Sep 1, 2009 at 14:03:58 ]
I think 7-9 is kinda being gernous right now, Im thinking 6-10.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

7-9 is ridiculous. Let's see, you don't think we could have one more win if JTO wasn't playing?

Did you guys see when Gore rested certain plays last year. We couldn't do anything. Now we have what seems to be a legit backup to come in and make a big impact when Gore rests.

7-9 is the lowest outcome I could see us acheiving if everyone stays healthy.
I see 9-7....

...for the next 4 years.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I see 9-7....

...for the next 4 years.

I agree and for me, it's mainly because of the QB we have or the QB we will need to develop. What I fear is once we do have a QB, everyone else who is working hard to keep those 9 wins with a low level QB will be too old.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Look - if they want to say that the Cardinals are better than us fine. I will even entertain a Seahawks better than us argument, but the Rams???????? Please show me where they have made any improvements.

7 sounds right, but I'd be an untruthful mofo if I said I wasn't wishing for 9 and a division title!

The improvement is with their rookies:
MLB James Laurinaitis is going to be an anchor for them for a LONG time, and he is a winner. Team captain for a decade.

LT Jason Smith is going to be very good, and he finally adds stability to the OL. Pace has been shaky.

And, second year player WR Donnie Avery is going to score a lot of TD's. He blazes. And that DL is going to improve. Long and Carriker are going to be better.

This is a team to watch up for. Maybe not in 2009, but not long from now. They've got some players.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 1, 2009 at 14:55:55 ]

Well i've been reading a lot of these reactions and honestly i think more are in tune than not. Everyone or about 80% of the postings in this thread think we go 7-9, maybe 8-8.

Realistically im not mad at ESPN for commenting on their opinion. To be honest only those that think realistic and take an educated guess on what we have, and draw their conclusions from that arent being mean or disrespectful to the team. Everyone wants their team to go to the superbowl, but i mean come on, we win all 16 games. Yeah the year that happens this season, Sing will be fired and Madden will be our head coach. lol

Hill being 7-3 as a starter over a 4 or 5 year period is not enough to say someone is a proven starter. Only our crazy ass fans feel that this record makes our entire team better. If hill does pan out then everyone will be saying he was a diamond in the rough. But if we fall with hill i dont even think many will be upset. i think the words will be well, he is what you thought he is, a career backup.

WE do have a ton of first rounders that havent lived up to their potential. And by that i mean produce in the area that we drafted them for. Not VD for the best blocker, not Lawson for a Coverage LB, and not even Smith on the sidelines (even that at times he was injured.) These main 3 we cant keep saying wait till next year. Davis has played over 10 games every season since he's been drafted and hasnt become that playmaker yet. Lawson (how many years we gonna say he's gonna rush the qb and have a double digit season).

I just think most out there arent dissing our team, they are just being realistic and going on the fact that the best winning record we had over a full season of continuity has been 7-9. Seahawks owned our division for a while, till soo many injuries, and they fell off, Arizona sucked, till warner came and sparked them up, and the rams well i dont have to say too much for them.

So i ask you, anyone that has a problem with still supporting the team, but taking a realistic approach, you tell me, "What have we done to earn respect around the league, and AS A TEAM, not a skewed 7-3 QB record?" When you have an answer type it on in:)
  • fan49
  • Veteran
but the inability to get the explosive plays from the QB will hurt us.
/quote]

the only explosive arms on are team are back ups! so once again, and i never disliked hill. He will hurt are team more than either back ups imo

[ Edited by fan49 on Sep 1, 2009 at 17:49:33 ]
If we go 9-7 and are at least in the hunt to win our division, I'll be pleased.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

7-9 is ridiculous. Let's see, you don't think we could have one more win if JTO wasn't playing?

Did you guys see when Gore rested certain plays last year. We couldn't do anything. Now we have what seems to be a legit backup to come in and make a big impact when Gore rests.

7-9 is the lowest outcome I could see us acheiving if everyone stays healthy.

We would have been 9-7 easily if JTO hadn't fumbled away the season imo. It's kind of bittersweet though, since JTO's poor play helped pave the way for Nolan's departure.
Gruden doesn't know sh*@.
Share 49ersWebzone