There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Predictons: Bubble guys

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Why is ANYONE surprised Battle is no longer a threat to be cut? Hasn't the board learned its' lesson over the years? Don't count this guy out, ever. He's got more heart than probably anyone on the field. And, yet, every year, people in the offseason treat him like he is a baby killer.

Hopefully, we have learned our lesson....AGAIN. That would be three offseasons running at this point.

As for the bubble boys: I think Sheets and Davis have made themselves a roster spot. My excitement in following Sheets in the draft was his ability to run in the open field. He's quick, and runs hard. Davis shows too much promise to be put on the PS.

Spurlock is going to make this team. The team is using him as the primary utility man (PR, WC, slot).

That leaves either Zeigler and J. Hill in a heap of trouble. Didn't someone predict that Hill was no roster guarantee about....three months ago. Who was that guy? Oh, yeah. It was me.

As for the PS, here is what I see:
1) Boone
2) Zeigler
3) Mitchell
4) Pascoe (I think Finley sticks on the 53 man)
5) Briggs
6) Jean-Francois
7) Miller
8) Taylor

I'm going to be close on the above list. Might be a surprise of two in the mix, but this looks like the group to pull up, if needed.

Who was that guy? lol.

Yeah, give yourself some "props" on Battle. You have consistently been in his corner, and Jimmy Raye apparently agrees with you.

I agree with you on Finley over Pascoe as well. Pascoe to the PS for this year.

However, isn't Zeigler out of PS eligibility? I thought he'd been on the PS for 2 years already.

I'd like to see Boone on the 53 man roster as well, not only to protect him from other teams, but to give him some additional incentive every week to keep working hard and to stay sober. He's done a really good job at RT when he's been given a chance in preseason and shows tremendous potential, IMHO.

BTW, and not to burst your bubble or anything, but how's that guy A. Brooks looking? OLB. Remember him? "Pink whipped cream with sprinkles" ring a bell? Think he'll make the 53 man roster? (You know he will.)

(Sorry, I just had to kid you about him a little. He's still got a ways to go as a contributor, but he looks like he's found a niche, a role to fill. Wouldn't you agree?)

This team should be improved, has added some much needed depth, and should be competitive in every game, just based on the mind set Singletary's working to develop. IMHO.

However, I think they're still a year away from being considered a solid playoff contender.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Sep 1, 2009 at 20:19:20 ]
Originally posted by SANDMAN:
I think the biggest disappointment is J. Hill. I had really high hopes for him coming out of college but it looks like his days in SF are numbered. He hasn't gotten much PT this preseason until the scrubs come in, not a good sign.

I guess practice is still more important than what a guy can do in a game. The niners are still in bad shape. When a WR has to perform well to make the team outside of his position because our QB's have issues, it does not really help us.

Z and spurlock practice better than hill. Spurlock can run in the taser and may become a decent ST guy. Z has better hair. What we are missing here is whether or not Z or spurlock will become a better WR once the niners actually have a passing game.
THE MOOPS!
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by SANDMAN:
I think the biggest disappointment is J. Hill. I had really high hopes for him coming out of college but it looks like his days in SF are numbered. He hasn't gotten much PT this preseason until the scrubs come in, not a good sign.

I guess practice is still more important than what a guy can do in a game. The niners are still in bad shape. When a WR has to perform well to make the team outside of his position because our QB's have issues, it does not really help us.

Z and spurlock practice better than hill. Spurlock can run in the taser and may become a decent ST guy. Z has better hair. What we are missing here is whether or not Z or spurlock will become a better WR once the niners actually have a passing game.

I wonder when that will be??

Originally posted by dj43:
That is pretty much the way I see it as well. Although I don't see any strong potential in Mitchell. He was getting pusher around pretty badly by Dallas' second string. Even putting him at OT, he still can't get shoved back like he was against Dallas.

Reluctantly I agree Hill is no lock for the 53. I felt he had a chance to be a solid #2 type receiver coming out of college but he hasn't shown anything here. Lots of injuries but that does not get him a pass.

Hill will be playing for a spot on the practice squad Friday night. If he has a productive night, they bring him back for PS...but it doesn't look good right now.

One week to go...

I may be wrong but i'm 99% sure that Hill is not eligible for the practice squad.

At this point, i would not be surprised if he's cut. The fact that he's out there with the 3rd stringers in preseason says enough.

-9fA
Originally posted by DesiDez:
The 6th WR spot will come down to Spurlock vs Hill vs Zeigler. For some reason I think Hill makes it. Yes, Spurlock can run the taser and return kicks- but we already have people who have those duties. Battle or Robinson can run the taser and Rossum is pretty much our return guy. So unless, Rossum is cut, Spurlock must do something else on this team. Do we really need a backup return man? Even when Rossum went down last year, Battle or Clements returned punts and Delanie returned kickoffs.

I watched the Cowboys again and this is the order of substitution for the WRs:
Bruce
Morgan
Battle
Zeigler
Spurlock
Hill

So, when Bruce called it a night, Zeigler came in as the 3rd. Spurlock saw playing action before Hill.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
The 6th WR spot will come down to Spurlock vs Hill vs Zeigler. For some reason I think Hill makes it. Yes, Spurlock can run the taser and return kicks- but we already have people who have those duties. Battle or Robinson can run the taser and Rossum is pretty much our return guy. So unless, Rossum is cut, Spurlock must do something else on this team. Do we really need a backup return man? Even when Rossum went down last year, Battle or Clements returned punts and Delanie returned kickoffs.

I watched the Cowboys again and this is the order of substitution for the WRs:
Bruce
Morgan
Battle
Zeigler
Spurlock
Hill

So, when Bruce called it a night, Zeigler came in as the 3rd. Spurlock saw playing action before Hill.

No way in hell Zeigler makes it over Spurlock
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
The 6th WR spot will come down to Spurlock vs Hill vs Zeigler. For some reason I think Hill makes it. Yes, Spurlock can run the taser and return kicks- but we already have people who have those duties. Battle or Robinson can run the taser and Rossum is pretty much our return guy. So unless, Rossum is cut, Spurlock must do something else on this team. Do we really need a backup return man? Even when Rossum went down last year, Battle or Clements returned punts and Delanie returned kickoffs.

I watched the Cowboys again and this is the order of substitution for the WRs:
Bruce
Morgan
Battle
Zeigler
Spurlock
Hill

So, when Bruce called it a night, Zeigler came in as the 3rd. Spurlock saw playing action before Hill.

No way in hell Zeigler makes it over Spurlock

It's possible Just not likely.
Considering how well jhill played ill be mad if he gets cut. especially if he breaks out on another team. then jimmy raye comes in here and just dumps him without even looking at how well he played last year when he finally got a chance. and im sorry i dont care if spurlock can run the taser. thats the stupidest thing ive ever seen. its a worthless gimmick. jason hill is way more proven than zeigler and spurlock.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Considering how well jhill played ill be mad if he gets cut. especially if he breaks out on another team. then jimmy raye comes in here and just dumps him without even looking at how well he played last year when he finally got a chance. and im sorry i dont care if spurlock can run the taser. thats the stupidest thing ive ever seen. its a worthless gimmick. jason hill is way more proven than zeigler and spurlock.

I agree with you on the Spurlock matter, I believe that Hill has shown enough to be on the roster before him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,378
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Considering how well jhill played ill be mad if he gets cut. especially if he breaks out on another team. then jimmy raye comes in here and just dumps him without even looking at how well he played last year when he finally got a chance. and im sorry i dont care if spurlock can run the taser. thats the stupidest thing ive ever seen. its a worthless gimmick. jason hill is way more proven than zeigler and spurlock.

I agree with you. Jason Hill has made strides since being drafted in 2007, from not knowing where to line up in Hostler's offense to fighting for first down's in Martz' offense. Without a doubt Hill should be our #5 or #6 receiver, he also has starting experience.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Considering how well jhill played ill be mad if he gets cut. especially if he breaks out on another team. then jimmy raye comes in here and just dumps him without even looking at how well he played last year when he finally got a chance. and im sorry i dont care if spurlock can run the taser. thats the stupidest thing ive ever seen. its a worthless gimmick. jason hill is way more proven than zeigler and spurlock.

I agree with you. Jason Hill has made strides since being drafted in 2007, from not knowing where to line up in Hostler's offense to fighting for first down's in Martz' offense. Without a doubt Hill should be our #5 or #6 receiver, he also has starting experience.

Howzit Kolohe. I dunno,Hill has taken a couple of steps back when he should be putting it together this year. He's had an awful camp and has been invisible in games except for the pass interference play against the cowboys. He should be using that speed to get open downfield. I like hill but he has been my biggest disappointment of the offseason that is not a QB. They may keep him as the last WR because of his age but I think both Spurlock and Zeigler has outplayed him.