LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 379 users in the forums

Predictons: Bubble guys

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by Method:

-Nate Davis--I have no doubt that he won't last on the PS, and I also have no doubt that Singletary envisions a 2010 QB competition involving Nate.

If we don't make the playoffs I hope we fire Singletary and hire a known Superbowl winner. I.E. Jon Gruden, Mike Shananan or Holmgren.

what if we go 9-7 and don't make the playoffs? If a 1st year coach doesn't make the playoffs then he should get fired???? Unreal

Is anyone out there comfortable with Hill as a long term solution at QB? I dont even think Hill supporters can say they are. Nate Davis is our future in my opinion, and were going to go into our 3d consecutive season with a QB competition in camp unless something happens to Hill and Davis gets thrown into the wolves den and establishes himself as the leader of the offense much the same way Hill did.

I love how Nate has as quick a release as Hill with a cannon with twice as much gun powder and TNT as Smith. Seems like the best of both worlds, and we got him in the 5th. f**king a right we got ourselves a steal, and best part is all we have to do to help him be successful is draw pictures. I hope Raye is taking art lessons!!! (joke)

I liked Davis, and I did state that the team will likely see him as being the staring option in 2010, but lets not get carried away with guys who play well against 3rd stringers. Yesterday Davis played against CFL guys, and in the CFL Hill would be king.
I like Zeigler and he seems to catch everything thrown his way. (Can anyone verify his catch precentage?)

Heres the real question for me. Whos going to return kicks. Rossum or Spurlock, and since we havent signed Crabs yet, will we keep Zeigler on the active roster if Crabs isnt signed by game day?

The one play by Spurlock for 35 yards on a short crossing route didnt impress me as much as the clutch catches made by Zeigler in the last few games of last season. If I had to choose, I would take Z! How about you?

Then Rossum or Spurlock? Cuz obviously this one play Spurlock made against Dallas has convinced you all hes the real deal. Or is it the fact weve been using him in the utterly useless and overated "Taser"(Wild Cat). Because I havent seen anything out of him there thats made me think, "wow, this kid can play" Besides, Id rather have Robbinson running it because at least hes still capable of throwing the ball.

My thread is more about who I THINK will make the team, not about who I WANT to make the team. Here are some reasons that I think Spurlock gets the nod over Ziegler (if only one of them makes the team)

-Ziegler has PS eligibility
-Spurlock can return punts and kicks
-Spurlock seems to be our #1 guy for the WC (don't know why, considering it's just been a handoff for the most part)

I stated I THINK Z will make it and STATED why I think he deserves it. Or was my post in spanish? Hable espanol? I also brought up 2/3 of your points with the exception that Z has PS eligibility but why would I bring that up when I was stating why I THINK Z makes the team

I like Spurlock and would like to keep him on the roster as the kick returner over Rossum because he can actually play another position when Rossum is taking a roster spot away from us. I also THINK Spurlock can just as successful as Rossum in providing us good field position because the its all about the unity of the special teams unit and I feel like weve got one of the best, especially with Al Everest coaching the unit.

Is that enough thinking for you? Or too much want? Maybe I want what I think? Ill take my cake and eat it too cuz im not goona watch the son of a beech go stale sitting on the counter

You didn't really state that you thought anything. All you said is..."I like Zeigler..." I don't think Zeigler has a very good chance right now. I've been a big Zeigler supporter and would like for him to make it, but he really hasn't caught everything his way, and did drop a long ball yesterday. Realistically, the kid is a worse version of Brandon Lloyd. He's a backups backup, and will not likely convince the coaching staff to keep less D-lineman or OLBs for his sake. Just don't see it happening. To some degree I hope it does, but I just don't think so.
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Method:
-Nate Davis--I have no doubt that he won't last on the PS, and I also have no doubt that Singletary envisions a 2010 QB competition involving Nate.
If we don't make the playoffs I hope we fire Singletary and hire a known Superbowl winner. I.E. Jon Gruden, Mike Shananan or Holmgren.

cosigned. scotty must go too then also. if we go 9-7 and make progress he gets another chance though. but like 6-10 wont cut it, and if sing+scott cant get it done than we need to find someone whose proven they can win. sing got to hire his own oc, choose his qb, and his d. this is his team. and scott has had 4 years to get the needed players to win. bottom line is its put up or shut up time for everyone here.

You 2 should be fired for your post. A coach get fired after 1 year because he didnt take a team, that hasnt been to the playoffs in years, back to the playoffs. RI-DIC-U-LOUS(jim rome)

Dude, are people really saying this? When you break it down it sounds like a joke, it sounds so absurd that you couldn't imagine people would say that, and then when I scroll up and read the threads people really are saying it. I mean... seriously?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Give the guy a chance. The players love him and I bet they'll respond to the challenge.
Originally posted by B650:
Give the guy a chance. The players love him and I bet they'll respond to the challenge.

oh im giving him a chance. its this whole year. but if the team regresses from last year and this is 2007 all over again then no, we need an offensive head coach and continuity. because 7 ocs in 7 years is a joke. qb battle every other year is a joke. you want to say its ridiculous to ask to win? THAT is ridiculous. this is the san francisco 49ers here.
I will throw out my thoughts on the WRs: I like Ziegler but he will be put on the PS. Battle who once seemed like an odd man out is now almost guaranteed a spot. As is Jones, Bruce, and Morgan. I like Spurlock as well but don't really see any room for him. Hill hasn't done much in the preseason but he stepped up big last year during the regular season which is what matters.

Bruce
Morgan
Battle
Jones
Hill
Crabtree (Otherwise couldn't they put Crabtree on the PUP list for 1st 6 weeks while we sign him and save a roster spot for someone else) So we only have 5 wrs and then when he is ready we can cut someone else as needed.

P.S.
Ziegler
Spurlock (I know he is our Wildcat QB (just a handoff up the middle anyways) and he can be a special teams guy but we have Rossum who is the better return man and Robinson who would probably be our #1 Wildcat QB

Edit: Than next year when Bruce retires we can elevate either Ziegler or Spurlock or maybe neither if all 5 other guys perform well. Don't worry about a WR next year in the draft and get PASS RUSH, OL, NT and Possibly QB ONLY.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 31, 2009 at 04:11:37 ]

oh im giving him a chance. its this whole year. but if the team regresses from last year and this is 2007 all over again then no, we need an offensive head coach and continuity. because 7 ocs in 7 years is a joke. qb battle every other year is a joke. you want to say its ridiculous to ask to win? THAT is ridiculous. this is the san francisco 49ers here.

What's ridiculous is that you're willing fire Singletary after one year for what was going on for five years before he was the coach. You state that the team needs continuity, but you're willing to change everything after one season? What happens when one of these "proven winners" that everyone keeps screaming for comes in and doesn't win in their first season? Will people be calling for them to be fired?
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I will throw out my thoughts on the WRs: I like Ziegler but he will be put on the PS. Battle who once seemed like an odd man out is now almost guaranteed a spot. As is Jones, Bruce, and Morgan. I like Spurlock as well but don't really see any room for him. Hill hasn't done much in the preseason but he stepped up big last year during the regular season which is what matters.

Bruce
Morgan
Battle
Jones
Hill
Crabtree (Otherwise couldn't they put Crabtree on the PUP list for 1st 6 weeks while we sign him and save a roster spot for someone else) So we only have 5 wrs and then when he is ready we can cut someone else as needed.

P.S.
Ziegler
Spurlock (I know he is our Wildcat QB (just a handoff up the middle anyways) and he can be a special teams guy but we have Rossum who is the better return man and Robinson who would probably be our #1 Wildcat QB

Edit: Than next year when Bruce retires we can elevate either Ziegler or Spurlock or maybe neither if all 5 other guys perform well. Don't worry about a WR next year in the draft and get PASS RUSH, OL, NT and Possibly QB ONLY.

I like the kid so dont read too much into this but what has Jason Hill shown us? He had 2 solid games last year with 5 or more catches and one game against the Cardinals when he looked like a game breaker and caught 6 passes for 82 yards when we almost came back and won it. That game was supposed to be his light bulb on party. Unfortunately iy was his best game, and he only managed 2 touchdowns.

Ive been a huge supporter of the guy and had high hopes that he could develop into a game breaker and use hit 4.32 speed but i just dont see that on the field. Hes also been quite injury prone. I just dont know what to do with this guy.
Spurlock will make the team. Rossum could be a sleeper to get the boot. Delanie Walker and Michael Spurlock can return kicks and be fine I think. That could open a roster spot.

I also think a Right Tackle will be added after teams make roster cuts.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Bruce
Morgan
Battle
Jones
Hill

P.S.
Ziegler

Spurlock is not PS elig

if he can't win 6 games he'll be a candidate to get cut, but just for not making the playoffs? Let me ask you, are you going to demand that every coach that comes in a doesn't make the playoffs in his first year gets cut? Or are you holding Sing to a different standard because he was a LBs coach under Nolan, and therefore are holding that regime's failure's against him?
I like Zeigler and he seems to catch everything thrown his way. (Can anyone verify his catch precentage?)

Heres the real question for me. Whos going to return kicks. Rossum or Spurlock, and since we havent signed Crabs yet, will we keep Zeigler on the active roster if Crabs isnt signed by game day?

The one play by Spurlock for 35 yards on a short crossing route didnt impress me as much as the clutch catches made by Zeigler in the last few games of last season. If I had to choose, I would take Z! How about you?

Then Rossum or Spurlock? Cuz obviously this one play Spurlock made against Dallas has convinced you all hes the real deal. Or is it the fact weve been using him in the utterly useless and overated "Taser"(Wild Cat). Because I havent seen anything out of him there thats made me think, "wow, this kid can play" Besides, Id rather have Robbinson running it because at least hes still capable of throwing the ball.

In my mind you take Spurlock. Why, Rossum is at the end and we have talent depth at CB for the first time in a long time. Jason Hill has not shown anything.
We keep Spurlock for depth at WR (slot) and use the extra space at DB.
  • dj43

My thread is more about who I THINK will make the team, not about who I WANT to make the team. Here are some reasons that I think Spurlock gets the nod over Ziegler (if only one of them makes the team)

-Ziegler has PS eligibility
-Spurlock can return punts and kicks
-Spurlock seems to be our #1 guy for the WC (don't know why, considering it's just been a handoff for the most part)

I stated I THINK Z will make it and STATED why I think he deserves it. Or was my post in spanish? Hable espanol? I also brought up 2/3 of your points with the exception that Z has PS eligibility but why would I bring that up when I was stating why I THINK Z makes the team

I like Spurlock and would like to keep him on the roster as the kick returner over Rossum because he can actually play another position when Rossum is taking a roster spot away from us. I also THINK Spurlock can just as successful as Rossum in providing us good field position because the its all about the unity of the special teams unit and I feel like weve got one of the best, especially with Al Everest coaching the unit.

Is that enough thinking for you? Or too much want? Maybe I want what I think? Ill take my cake and eat it too cuz im not goona watch the son of a beech go stale sitting on the counter
Rossum is clearly the better return man. It will come down to how committed the team is to run the wildcat. If Singletary wants to make that an occasional part of the offense, then Spurlock makes the team. If not, then it is Rossum.

Also, secondary decisions will factor in. Green played well against Dallas, but there is a logjam of average players at CB. It just depends on who rises to the top. Rossum is not a bad option in a dime package.

Not being able to see what some of these guys do in practice makes it impossible to judge.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

In my mind you take Spurlock. Why, Rossum is at the end and we have talent depth at CB for the first time in a long time. Jason Hill has not shown anything.
We keep Spurlock for depth at WR (slot) and use the extra space at DB.

I agree because Spurlock is more useful and were already pretty deep in the defensive backfield. I like what Ive seen from Brown and Green. I also think Spurlock has more upside and he returned just as many kicks for touchdowns as Rossum. As a matter of fact wasnt he the first Bucaneer to ever return a kick for a td? I think so. Put him behind our special teams unit and I think hell be great.
Here are the Final 53 bubble decisions, as I see them at this point:

Back-up WILL LB (behind Haralson): Brooks or Moore as 8th LB. Brooks MRI could affect this decision.

Swing OT (3rd OT on Game Day Active 45): Sims vs a late pick-up from another team.
(Scotty, PLEASE find someone on the waiver wire!)

6th WR vs 6th CB. (This looks like the toughest decision)

4th OT: Bender vs Boone (either will probably be a Game Day Inactive)

3rd TE (Blocking): Finley vs Pascoe

3rd QB: Huard vs Davis
Share 49ersWebzone