LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 138 users in the forums

Gut Check for the Super Fans!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Gut Check for the Super Fans!

Originally posted by King49er:
this place never changes lol

Yeah exactly. What a way to think before the first game of the year.
wtf are you talking about
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by RonMexico:
wtf are you talking about

This is the lamest thread, as is most of you ridiculous fans throwing in the towel already. Did you see AZ get whipped by GB? Imagine if the 49ers got spanked like the Raiders?
Originally posted by Crown:
We are all well aware of the possible shortfalls of this team

Your mission: choose to watch this young team develop under a new coach.

If you can't stomach it: choose another team and come back when the wins do.

I am going to stick it out.

Spoken like a true fan, thank you. Go Niners!
I'll keep saying it...this team is still another year away from being a playoff contender. Let's just look honestly at what issues we're facing:

~Total uncertainty at QB
~ZERO pass rush
~Huge question mark at RT
~Lack of quality depth on DL

The first two are the most critical. If you don't have your QB situation settled on offense, and if you can't effectively rush the passer on defense, you will struggle. There's no other way to say it. The last two can be masked somewhat, but the first two can't, and this will likely be our downfall this year.

The overall talent on the team has improved from years past, this seems pretty obvious. We should be able to run the ball pretty effectively, probably make some plays at WR/TE during each game and our overall defense is pretty good. If the secondary can continue its solid play and create turnovers, things could get interesting and we could possibly steal a few more victories.

However, with no real difference-maker at QB and no pass rusher, we will lose winnable games, and probably end up anywhere between 6-10 and 8-8.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:30:13 ]
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
1. We have no wide receiver threat - it has been completely absent. Brandon Jones - Out, Crabtree - unsigned, Josh Morgan - disappointing, etc. We have not improved since last year.

2. We have no QBs - aside from the flashes of talent from Nate Davis. The QB competition this year has been between two players who haven't shown us anything. The 49ers should have brought in a proven veteran QB to compete for the starting job, not wasting time with Damon Huard. After the fiasco with Kurt Warner, the 49ers gave up in their search. Again - we have not improved since last year.

3. We don't have a pass rush. This is obvious. We brought in a special coach just for that purpose and no results.

4. The secondary at times looked suspect, even though we have been getting a good number of INTs.

5. The pass protection is vulnerable and still needs work.

6. The only main area of improvement this year - the running game. We have seen the new guys Coffee and Sheets tear it up and o-line creating some good holes. We expected this because this is what Jimmy Raye was brought in to do.

7. This is not the time for the "It's still pre-season. calm down." attitude. We already played three and we have won them all. Remember, it has been the second and third stringers that have come back to win these games.

While I don’t see much value in your anxiety laden post, I have to say the biggest surprise/disappointment of the off-season was management’s complete lack of interest in upgrading the pass rush. At the end of last season I felt the D was one good pass rusher away from being elite. Yet they made no real effort to upgrade in this area. I'm sure that once the regular season starts, Manusky will use a combination of stunts and blitzes to bring pressure and I imagine we’ll be somewhere in the middle of the pack in number of sacks (just like we were last year). But the failure to address this issue really undercuts my (already shaky) confidence in McCloughan. At this point I’m lighting a candle every day for Mike Holmgren. This team needs to bring in Big Mike as HOFA.

As to the question of whether or not the sky is falling: I’d say the last 7 games of 2008 are a much better indicator of where we’re at, than the first 3 pre-season games of 2009… it’s essentially the same team with some minor upgrades. We did pretty well over the last 7 games and I think we’ll do OK this year. Like the others, I intend to stick it out and see what happens.
you're right..... f*ck it. i'm throwing in the towel. any more room on the steelers bandwagon?

[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:38:32 ]
1. We have no wide receiver threat - it has been completely absent. Brandon Jones - Out, Crabtree - unsigned, Josh Morgan - disappointing, etc. We have not improved since last year.

2. We have no QBs - aside from the flashes of talent from Nate Davis. The QB competition this year has been between two players who haven't shown us anything. The 49ers should have brought in a proven veteran QB to compete for the starting job, not wasting time with Damon Huard. After the fiasco with Kurt Warner, the 49ers gave up in their search. Again - we have not improved since last year.

3. We don't have a pass rush. This is obvious. We brought in a special coach just for that purpose and no results.

4. The secondary at times looked suspect, even though we have been getting a good number of INTs.

6. The only main area of improvement this year - the running game. We have seen the new guys Coffee and Sheets tear it up and o-line creating some good holes. We expected this because this is what Jimmy Raye was brought in to do.

7. This is not the time for the "It's still pre-season. calm down." attitude. We already played three and we have won them all. Remember, it has been the second and third stringers that have come back to win these games.

Ummmm gripe 4 cancels out Gripe 3 and vice versa. Without a Pass Rush we wouldn't have had but maybe ONE takeaway through the air. Right?

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:38:22 ]
Can we merge all these 49ers doomed threads?
I have a feeling that Singletary's style combined with the lack of offensive big plays is going to bring us a lot of close low scoring games and we will appear to be playing to the level of our opponent. Dallas is a much more talented team than us and they only scored 10 in the first half. In fact all three games have been low scoring when the starters are in. It's going to be a grind it out nail biter year but I also see a lot less blowout losses.

Originally posted by Lifer:

While I don’t see much value in your anxiety laden post, I have to say the biggest surprise/disappointment of the off-season was management’s complete lack of interest in upgrading the pass rush. At the end of last season I felt the D was one good pass rusher away from being elite. Yet they made no real effort to upgrade in this area. I'm sure that once the regular season starts, Manusky will use a combination of stunts and blitzes to bring pressure and I imagine we’ll be somewhere in the middle of the pack in number of sacks (just like we were last year). But the failure to address this issue really undercuts my (already shaky) confidence in McCloughan. At this point I’m lighting a candle every day for Mike Holmgren. This team needs to bring in Big Mike as HOFA.

As to the question of whether or not the sky is falling: I’d say the last 7 games of 2008 are a much better indicator of where we’re at, than the first 3 pre-season games of 2009… it’s essentially the same team with some minor upgrades. We did pretty well over the last 7 games and I think we’ll do OK this year. Like the others, I intend to stick it out and see what happens.

Mike Shannahan MAYBE, Mike Holmgren? Two letters for you. F and U.

Sorry but I hate that mutha trucker. His Packers cheated us not once but TWICE and ever since he's left this team it's been a personal mission of his to de-rail records and be a proverbial thorn in our sides. F that guy. I will take Shannahan ten ways til Sunday and twice on Mondays. No run game? Shannahan gets one anyway. No pasing game? You guessed it Shannahan seems to get the best of whatever unit he has. And he's been to two Super Bowls and won versus Holmgrens one.

F Holmgren that fat walrus lookin slob.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Joecool:
I have a feeling that Singletary's style combined with the lack of offensive big plays is going to bring us a lot of close low scoring games and we will appear to be playing to the level of our opponent. Dallas is a much more talented team than us and they only scored 10 in the first half. In fact all three games have been low scoring when the starters are in. It's going to be a grind it out nail biter year but I also see a lot less blowout losses.

3rd and 4th teamers Joe, 3rd and 4th teamers.

If they weren't on the field Saturday and it was strictly 1st team we would have gotten mopped all over the field.

But yup I'm just soooooooo inspired by Shaun Hill. Now it could very well have been because he was out for a day or so with that bum back of his. But I'm having a problem with his play over all. It just isn't there. Even with a WR corps that is USED to him it's just not there.

If he's still struggling by game three don't be to surprised to see the hook.

~Ceadder
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by Crown:
We are all well aware of the possible shortfalls of this team

Your mission: choose to watch this young team develop under a new coach.

If you can't stomach it: choose another team and come back when the wins do.

I am going to stick it out.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Lifer:

Mike Shannahan MAYBE, Mike Holmgren? Two letters for you. F and U.

Sorry but I hate that mutha trucker. His Packers cheated us not once but TWICE and ever since he's left this team it's been a personal mission of his to de-rail records and be a proverbial thorn in our sides. F that guy. I will take Shannahan ten ways til Sunday and twice on Mondays. No run game? Shannahan gets one anyway. No pasing game? You guessed it Shannahan seems to get the best of whatever unit he has. And he's been to two Super Bowls and won versus Holmgrens one.

F Holmgren that fat walrus lookin slob.

~Ceadder

Don't hold back man. Tell us how you really feel.

While I don't much appreciate being told to F off because I expressed an opinion, at least you explained the misguided reasons for your irrational rage. So thanks for that.

Shanahan is washed up. Holmgren would bring us 5 more rings.
Share 49ersWebzone